Author Topic: Thinking about Colorado...  (Read 2365 times)

Barrettscv

Thinking about Colorado...
« on: October 25, 2006, 06:29:20 am »
I'm getting Psyched...

THE CITIES OF...COLUMBINE...TO PONAS... SKYWAY...ASPEN... VAIL...SNOWMASS... CRESTED BUTTE...TAYLOR PARK...MARBLE... BUFORD... TRAPPERS LAKE 457 AM MDT WED OCT 25 2006
...SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM MDT THURSDAY...

THE SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW ADVISORY FOR THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL COLORADO MOUNTAINS HAS BEEN EXTENDED AND IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM MDT THURSDAY.

EXPECT PERIODS OF SNOW...BECOMING HEAVY AT TIMES...TODAY THROUGH TONIGHT. STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE FROM 6 TO 12 INCHES BY SUNRISE THURSDAY. IN ADDITION...SOUTHWES T WINDS FROM 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH AT TIMES WILL LEAD TO WIDESPREAD BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. WINDS WILL SHIFT TO THE WEST THIS AFTERNOON VEERING TO THE NORTHWEST THEN NORTH OVERNIGHT.

A SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW ADVISORY MEANS THAT VISIBILITIES WILL BE LIMITED DUE TO A COMBINATION OF FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW. USE CAUTION WHEN TRAVELING...ESPECIA LLY IN OPEN AREAS.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Michael

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Thinking about Colorado...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 07:00:24 am »
The Beav' is gonna be sweet! Still time for all to join us..........

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 07:54:14 am »
Hey guys, heard the blizzard warnings for parts of Colorado...Ron sent me pictures of conditions in Loveland, I checked out the Beav's web cameras and Jackson Hole...

WHAT A GREAT AWESOME START TO THE SEASON!!

AND WE LIVE WHERE?

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 09:31:14 am »
check out the snow cams!  http://beavercreek.snow.com/mtn.camslarge.asp?camera_id=17

No snow yet but its coming for sure

Barrettscv

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 08:29:31 am »
Colorado got a major dump; I 70 is closed. Some reports of more than 20 inches. Also cold weather expected for the next 2 weeks.

I'm feeling the excitement!? ;D

Michael
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 09:22:51 am by Barrettscv »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 08:43:49 am »
click, click, push off, glide............no sound, no vibration.......... .whoooo hoooo! powder..........

fredm8

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 09:06:49 pm »
Bring it on.

Two days without skiing. Cold turkey not good. Ski fields only closed today. It's only half the world away. 24 hours travel. Must travel soon.

:o

fredm8

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 02:51:08 am »
I must be addicted to something.
Couldnt wait until July 07.

Just booked 11 days in Aspen over New Years.

Cant wait ........

We need to see some of you guys & girls down under next Southern Winter

Douglas

Barrettscv

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 04:36:44 am »
I must be addicted to something.
Couldnt wait until July 07.

Just booked 11 days in Aspen over New Years.

Cant wait ........

We need to see some of you guys & girls down under next Southern Winter

Douglas

Hi Fred,

Congrats on your plans, everyone should love Aspen. Will this be your first ski trip to Colorado?

Michael

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 02:58:29 pm »
Douglas, you'll have to let all know about your experience and Aspen..

My wife and I were there this past January, had knee high snow, loved Ajax, Highlands and Snowmass...even did a 1/2 day at Buttermilk. There's a lot of vertical to enjoy out there. I think you'll be impressed. Hoping they have tons of snow for your trip.

We had up to 3 feet of powder, the food was just awesome, the town was fun with great places to shop and eat at. The people we met on and off the mountain were nice too. Free public transportation makes getting from mountain to mountain a snap!

Sure would be nice to ski your neck of the woods some time during our summer. That's got to go into our Real SKiers wish list.

Best,
Gary

fredm8

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 01:31:06 am »
Hi all,

I've been in Aspen in January for the last two years. I have absolutely enjoined the experience.

Jan 05 we skied Ajax exclusively for 4 -5 days only, and regretted not listening to the Travel Agent (who skis) who told us to stay longer.
Great mountain, heaps of challenging terrain. Great people, love the accents (yeah I know I talk funny, don't ask me to count past five)
The first day on the mountain was a 8" powder day. Fantastic. Biggest difference is the snow conditions, and how dry the atmosphere is. NZ is a very moist climate, and it was hard to adjust to the dry climate. Snow squeaking under your skis for the first time is freaky.

Jan 06, we had 10 days. Skied one day through the storm and down 4" of fresh powder by closing time. Managed to ski all four mountains. Loved Highlands, spent a bit of time learning from Cary Thompson, one of the Aspen instructors. Enjoyed that too, he was great.

Dec 06/ Jan 07. Planning 11 days skiing. Looking forward to New Years Eve being white & cold, not sunny, hot, beach etc. Planning day 1 on Buttermilk, then where-ever we end up. On the agenda is at least one day of back country powder skiing.

Question for the combined wisdom of the forum.
I'll take my boots and gear, but not skis & poles.

So, what to rent in Aspen ?

Or would it be better to buy, and resell back in NZ...
I would only buy and keep a ski suitable for NZ (very wet moist snow, hard icy conditions that soften to crud daily, then freeze overnight) Hence the preference for the Metrons

Last two years I have just rented what-ever executive skis the guy in the shop gave me. This year, having demoed:
Head Monster 82s
Atomic Metron B5 (loved them, my personal preference to buy MY08 skis in April 07)
Atomic Metron 11s
Atomic Metron 10s
Volkl S5s
Volkl AC3s
Salomon S something Hots

I feel much better informed about skis, models, capability and my ability to ski on the different models.

My current demo list thinking (from Peter's picks and my own research )  is
Head SuperShapes
Head XRC 12/1400s
Atomic Metron B5s (Need to compare off Home Ground) MY07 162 I've skied on, want to try 172s
Volkl AllStars

Length ?

I'm 6'3", 210lb, skiing about a level 8/9, cleanly carving on the B5s on all the black groomed piste on Turoa.
We don't get moguls much, so that terrain is something I need to improve on to better my skiing. Steeps are fun. Very steep moguls are a challenge that I will overcome.

Then the question is length, given that Colorado has this thing called POWDER  ;D in abundance

Douglas

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 07:44:51 am »
Hey Douglas....pumped up for ya man...great time to be in Aspen and may the snow gods dump their fluffy white stuff in great abundance!

Having said that.....you've got a great bunch of all mountain and? powder skis but just one real carve it up ski.

I think you ought to consider a few more skis in the 63-66mm waist. These skis are extremely versatile in snow up to boot high. The biggest plus is that they carve so much better, and turn so much tighter.

Check the weather and if it looks like big dumps a coming, grab the fatties. But if it's a dribble here and a dribble there, thinking you should get on some great carvers to slice and dice!

Best,
Gary

Barrettscv

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 11:33:47 am »
Now that's a forecast!

Michael, I need to get with you on some dining choices. not that skiing all day with me and gary won't be enough, in case you wanted to join us at beano's and Grouse Mountain grill, let me know. 

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 12:57:20 pm »
Can I order off the chidrens menu...

I split meals but drink my own beer/wine!

Can't wait..how many days now?

Ok, I brushed out the "over the summer" wax on my RX8's and they look awesome...and I realized my new 82's are no where near the same glossy wax finsih even after a wax and scrape cleansing coat with my all purpose wax, a coat and brush in of the CH4 and then the same with a CH8...nope...still needs at least 2-3 more coats to prepare those babies for their slide and glide virgin venture intro to snow.

But it's such a pleasure..sweet silky glide, priceless!

Gary