Author Topic: Thinking about Colorado...  (Read 2453 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Thinking about Colorado...
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2006, 08:48:02 pm »
Hey Michael,
When I first saw the Cambell Balancer, it was slid under some shelving at the ski shop. It looked like a low to the ground teeter toter at the play ground. Anyways I told my friend at the shop it felt like I was constantly in the back seat.

He had me stand up the center of the device with my boards under foot and move the skis up and down. He kept having me move my position until it felt as easy to raise the tips as well as the tails. Now this was many years ago, so that's my best recollection. Sorry to say, I can't remember what skis they were...been too many years.

Anyways, he figured out for the skis I was buying that my balance point was 1/2" forward of the factory center mark. So for years to come, I always mounted my bindings 1/2 forward of the center mark; well until my Dynastars Speed 63's. Seems Dynastars typically had their binding more forward than other manufacturers and with their plate design, the binding was mounted where it was mounted.

Years afterwards, I found Head and a binding one could adjust ones own center mass.....and I never looked back.

Michael, with the demo bindings, can't you adjust that binding to find a position that feels right, centered and balanced for you?

On the IM 88 with the Mojo..I'd be icautious caue if there anything like my 77's, the factory position worked out best for general skiing.

I did notice and stated in a previous thread that when I laid my RX8 with the bindings in their forward positing next to my IM82's, mojo bindings in the factory mounted position, they were almost identical...go figure.

Now this may sound a little un-scientific...and maybe it's just something that feels right for me...but genreally speaking if I click into my skis in the house booted up and lift one ski, I can see the way the ski hangs there, and just know from the position it's going to be right. I guess it's something I've acclimated to after going through so much experimentation with binding locations.

I be curious to know with the 88's if you get on the Balancer, what it shows. I know with deeper snow conditions, you're not going to want to have those mounted to far forward cause the shovels will be diving like a submarine.

The factory position maybe the way to go with your deep snow skis....just one mans opinion!

Best,
Gary