Author Topic: ski choice  (Read 393 times)

andrew

ski choice
« on: October 23, 2006, 05:10:34 pm »
I am an old style skier that? up to 15 years ago used to ski 100 days a year. My ski choice was a slalom model about 204 or 207 in length. My run of choice was always moguls. I have not skied for that length of time but have remained fit by competing in mountain biking. Any recommendations for ski choices?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: ski choice
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 08:01:07 pm »

Tell us a little more.  Is your technique still old style (and does that involve stem christies) or were you skiing pretty much parallel.  How tall and what weight.  Still planning skiing largely moguls, or a different mix.  Any preferences for ski feel (damp/lively) powered from the cuff or balanced on the ski (my summary of Austrian feel vs. French feel)?  What brand of ski did you like before?  Have you demoed anything?

You already know this, but before we talk about skis how are your boots?

Buy boots and demo skis, or have Michael help you buy three year old skis off of eBay for this season and then reconsider (and demo if you can).  It will probably take a while (maybe a season) to get comfortable with going shorter, so you will probably feel more comfortable on a longer ski but in a year will want to move down another size shorter.  And the same may be true of sidecut, since there is such a big gap between the sidecut of most current skis and what you feel comfortable with.  That would say you would want a GS style shape?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."