Author Topic: new Foot Beds / orthodic today  (Read 1586 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: new Foot Beds / orthodic today
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2007, 11:23:28 am »
I missed ALL THE FUN!! Damn, it sucks to have a job where internet is not always available. >:(

I am sorry. I feel the need to be contrary. No 'special' words to shut down a conversation. In person we will all be able to hear tone and inflection. LET IT RIP!!! ;)Everyone is a big boy/girl on this trip.

Let the conversation flow where it will. I seriously doubt any of you could "out crude" me. My kids have tried. Can't be done. :P

"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2007, 11:57:31 am »
You go Bronx!  You rock!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2007, 12:00:37 pm »
Well, midwif, I respectfully suggest that it isn't you that they are worried about. ?

I assume that they are remembering that I had major back surgery this summer, and are sincerely :o concerned about the physical damage that might be done to my back as you impose ever increasing 'penances' on me for insults both real and imagined. ?I'm already committed to schlepping bags and doing morning oatmal dishwashing. ?

Guys, I humbly request that you yell Bingo whenever I'm out on a tree limb and starting to saw!! ? :-\

I seriously doubt any of you could "out crude" me. My kids have tried. Can't be done.
So I'm schlepping bags why??
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:02:52 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2007, 12:04:53 pm »
Jim, did you really have surgery this summer? I had it 3 years ago.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2007, 12:15:20 pm »
Yepper.? 7 years ago L5-S1.? This summer L3-L4.? I was playing racqueball with my sons and reached around him to hit a ball and felt a 'stretch' that I thought was a muscle, but it wasn't.? After surgery (June 28), the Doctor suggested I attend PT to increase core strength.?

I mentioned in email to Lynn my past negative experiences with PT and my perception that I didn't think that I needed it now, she proceeded to? :'( "encourage"? :'( me, in true Bronx fashion, to go (and I appreciate that she did).? Physical Therapist said my core strength really wasn't bad, but they did identify some serious problems with the adductor muscle on the right leg.? I'm feeling much better, back to playing racquet ball again, but right leg still isn't as strong as the left.? Wall sits (actually wall slides the way they taught) are one of the things that I think help skiing and was also one of the exercises they liked. (but I'm a long ways from holding them for 2 hours like Gary said he could).? ?Walking around the house some with 5lb weights on each ankle as well as exercises, etc.

ADDENDUM:? One of the things that PT did have me do was to stand one-footed on a wobble board and pass a weight around my body 15 times (three reps).? They were AMAZED at how well I did that, even on the bad leg.? I had never been on a wobble board before, but thanks to HH for the emphasis on one-footed balance it really wasn't difficult at all.

A clue for Steamboat.? All the Physical Therapists (except for Keith) were sad to see my final appointment (at least that's what they told me). ?::)? I kept the place pretty loose when I was there.  Frequently even had other patients laughing.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:24:14 pm by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2007, 12:50:36 pm »
Ok then, good job going to rehab. It's a smart move. of course I didn't go after my l5-S1! Just don't over do it! 

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2007, 01:22:59 pm »
Well, midwif, I respectfully suggest that it isn't you that they are worried about. ?

I assume that they are remembering that I had major back surgery this summer, and are sincerely :o concerned about the physical damage that might be done to my back as you impose ever increasing 'penances' on me for insults both real and imagined. ?I'm already committed to schlepping bags and doing morning oatmal dishwashing. ?

]
So I'm schlepping bags why??

For a guy who practically begged to be punished for a non existent insult, you are trying awfully hard to make me feel guilty. NO WAY. Just shlep the bags. No complaining, no whining. ;D ;D ;D
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2007, 01:43:10 pm »
yeah, playing the surgery card! :) OK bud, I had surgery in April..... #7 in 15 years now I think.....

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2007, 01:50:28 pm »
Yeah, and yours were knees.  Much tougher than what I had, actually.

I lost some muscle in one leg due to the nerve impairment, but I wouldn't have traded with you.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2007, 01:54:05 pm »
yeah, playing the surgery card! :) OK bud, I had surgery in April..... #7 in 15 years now I think.....

Naw, if I were playing the surgery card I would talk about the 6 that I had in the 15 months from Sept. of '71 through January of '73.

I used to have a pretty gruesome looking picture of my hand with 240 stitches in it.? Lost it somewhere over the years.? Obviously life is boring when you've got little do other than count stitches.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 09:15:15 am by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2007, 02:13:54 pm »
Ok...sounds like a version of "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours".....

Lynn.......you've got the right attitude....no mercy.

BTW...I tore my pinky finger apart playing wallyball.... :P

Man....can't wait to get the skis on the snow!!!! ::)

Yep Jim..71-73...know where you were. God Bless Brother!

Ok gang, no sympathy for old wounds, only new....and "Bingo" can be screamed out loud if necessary ( for Jim's sake)  or not......members choice.

Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2007, 02:19:59 pm »
Yeah, and yours were knees.? Much tougher than what I had, actually.

I lost some muscle in one leg due to the nerve impairment, but I wouldn't have traded with you.

No way, when I blew out my L5 it was the most painful thing ever, talk about pain, it was crippling, oxycontin didn't kill it, it made it bearable, that was it. Sorry bro' ain't trading with you!  I feel your pain.  BTW- I know exactly what you are talking about with your leg muscle. I was just talking to gary about how I have muscles waking up this fall in my calf. It;s really wild.

1971? Hmm, Let's see, I think, I was in 2nd grade? I would have been 7  ::) ::) ::) ::)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2007, 02:34:11 pm »
I LOVE walleyball.? Used to play with the kids in the church teen youth group (16 and up) when I was helping there.?
The director and I took a challenge from the best 4 kids one night (included one of my sons) and beat them 4 vs. 2 (and never gave them a chance to get even cause we knew we couldn't do it again).

We can play three on three at Steamboat one evening if they have courts?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 02:36:19 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2007, 04:00:37 pm »
What is WALLEYBALL?

And Michael is very quiet. Did he find a place to stay?

If we're going to do 3 on 3, we need a sixth.
I promise to be awful at it.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2007, 07:19:49 pm »
If you are from Douglass Kansas, then WalleyBall is when you take a volleyball sized ball (the plastic WalMart balls work fine) and hit it onto the roof of the house (on the Wall).? The other person then tries to figure out where it is coming down and hits it back up "on the Wall (the roof).? Point when it doesn't get returned.? Obviously, hard to play in NYC with three story buildings.

In civilization, it's volleyball played in a racquetball court with the net across the middle of the court.? Hitting the ball off the walls is allowed, which is the feature that makes it the most fun.

I'll bet you wouldn't be awful at it, you have to be a little athletic in order to ski.  If you played stickball or any of those hand/eye coordination games, then it wouldn't be that tough.? What you might lack in skill you can make up with conditioning and enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 07:22:45 pm by jim-ratliff »