Author Topic: new Foot Beds / orthodic today  (Read 1585 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: new Foot Beds / orthodic today
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 10:05:50 am »
Response from Hotronics:

Hi Jim- Yes, you can simply buy the m4 battery packs and use them with the heating elements and recharger purchased with m3 FootWarmers. Pricing can be found online at this link:

http://www.hotronic.com/buy/catalogue.html

Thanks, -Geoff, Hotronic USA

However, as Ron said it looks like the difference in price between the full package and just the  new batteries is pretty small.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 10:27:34 am »
I used the toe warmers for many seasons. Bought them by the box as well. When I got the boots a few seasons ago with HH&CO., there was no longer any room for the toe warmers, so I got the heating system at the same time. Works pretty well, but I have run out of juice when needing the higher settings on the really cold days. THAT seems to happening less and less (ah Gary, I don't think I would be skiing at -23, a bit of a wuss. I would try a run or two, but can't imagine I would last long)

No rush on the battery upgrade. I am pretty okay with the current set-up.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 10:34:25 am »
cool, try the pads with the heater.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 12:14:43 pm »
Jim...zackly on the boot fit and nice going after the pricing on the batteries for Lynn....

Lynn, after the Harb fit, where did you try using the toe heaters?

I can't use mine under the toes, no room. But,  I use them on top of the toes and there's just enough room to work well.

I can tell you when we woke up that cold day in Jackson HOle it was -25...my wife asked if we could wait an hour...by 10am it was -23 so out we went. YOu know, it was dry, the snow was awesome, the sun was out and everything we owned was on and we were totally covered. By noon it was -15 and it warmed up to a balmy -7...but the snow was so crisp and light...nice.
I was amazed how well we did dealing with the cold. Fortunantely, there was no waiting in lines to ski....which is where you get cold and a big....NO WIND!

Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 12:55:35 pm »
1. I always put toe warmers on top. Didn't fit in the boots. Didn't make the trip in!
2. Okay, with sun and no wind -23 MIGHT be bearable.
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 01:04:39 pm »
Well Lynn....i could bring my Drummel Tool and grind out a little extra room in there.

Nah....are you wearing the thinnest of thin socks?

I truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuly believe that thin socks give you the best feel and performance in the boot as well as warmth in a properly fitting boot. Knowing what I remember of your boot fit....them babies is snug.

And how thick is YOUR sock maddam?

Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 03:39:43 pm »
Uh, oh, class with Mr. Cassara begins.
Okay teach, the smartwools are either light or ski race. Finally saw the light of day a few years ago with the thick sock thing.

There is no more room in the toe area. Diana told me they couldn't do any more  grinding without affecting the integrity of the shell.

I have cold hands and cold feet when the weather is cool. Not genetically gifted like Jim and Ron are to resist cold extremities. (but you do know, don't you, that women conserve heat in their core more efficiently than men)
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 08:28:03 am »
Yep...I know my wife has the same thing going on mostly with her hands...ranoeds....(sp) Anyways, ladies core bodies, I like them and if you say so, they stay warmer. My wife with her periodic flash on the mountain can one minute be bundled like Nanook of the North and the next have opened and unzipped evey snap and zipper. Not pleasant I'm sure.

Hmmm....nothing they could do without affecting the integrety of the shell......hmmmm.

I wonder if the zeppa board could be lowered a fraction to give your tootsies a shniggle more room to accomodate a toe warmer? This of course with out negatively affecting the ramp angle.

Good move Lynn on the thin race socks...way to go.

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 08:56:30 am »
yes, Lynn, the wonders of evolution have provided men the advantage in cold weather!  YES 

Lets take a look at those boots, I am thinking that they may be too tight in the toe box if you can't fit a warmer on top of the toes. I can do this in my race plugs. ???? The toe box could be heated and slightly streched ore pushed up, you only need a few mm's.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 09:04:17 am »
Aren't we manufacturing solutions to problems that don't exist.? I thought the Hotronic's were keeping her feet warm, but with too short battery life.? $50 for longer lasting battery ($100 if she wants BOTH feet warm) seems like a simple solution with no adverse affects on boots or tootsies.
so I got the heating system at the same time. Works pretty well, but I have run out of juice when needing the higher settings on the really cold days. THAT seems to happening less and less

Midwif:
(but you do know, don't you, that women conserve heat in their core more efficiently than men)

Yeah, that's why all the non-core components get cold.? Core isn't willing to share the warmth?? ?;)

I don't want to go too far into why women preserve core heat better,? :o? ?but I've heard it has something to do with an extra layer of insulation??
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 09:09:47 am by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 11:11:28 am »
Aren't we manufacturing solutions to problems that don't exist.? I thought the Hotronic's were keeping her feet warm, but with too short battery life.? $50 for longer lasting battery ($100 if she wants BOTH feet warm) seems like a simple solution with no adverse affects on boots or tootsies.
 Yes, this true. I like the hot tronic much better than toe warmers. Can adjust for changes in the day. Usually up the heat on the ride up and turn down once at the top.

Also, Harald already lowered the balsa wood piece in the boots for more toe room.

Yeah, that's why all the non-core components get cold.? Core isn't willing to share the warmth?? ?;)
why,
Very true, which is RON, women have the edge in freezing weather, not men.

I don't want to go too far into why women preserve core heat better,? :o? ?but I've heard it has something to do with an extra layer of insulation??
Well, Jim, since you have noticed the posts where I give my 5#4 ht and 156lb weight, you know that insulation is all important. But very unkind of you to mention it. ::)
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 11:27:49 am »
so I got the heating system at the same time. Works pretty well, but I have run out of juice when needing the higher settings on the really cold days. THAT seems to happening less and less

Midwif:
(but you do know, don't you, that women conserve heat in their core more efficiently than men)

Jim, allow me help you   "DROP THE SHOVEL"

Here's the answer. over a couple hundred thousand years, the women who survived in cold regions and were able to have children were the only one's to pass on those genes (if you survived the cold but couldn't have kids, that wouldn't work, you would just have an old woman with no kids :) ). Those genes contained some blue prints that essentially told the body that when it gets cold, send the blood (warmth) to the core to protect those vital organs.  Men on the otherhand are a bit different. Going back in time, he hunters had to be able to survive and get food. Those folks had traits that sent blood flow to the external parts. Survivial of the fittest or most adpative. There you go....

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 12:48:31 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D? ;D

Ron, thank you very much.? Lacking ANY common sense, I think I will use the shovel for what it was intended rather than dropping it.  (Hi Lynn)

OK, so is that the reason that, to this day, we feeble men refer to some women as HOT.? ?;D? (and, to be fair, I guess we refer to others as chilly or downright frigid)? ?::)

If that is the human 'adaptation' (as opposed to evolution), then all women should be 156 pound bowling balls with toothpick legs.? However, I have seen many examples where the Scandinavian (i.e.cold climate) women don't look anything like that??? ?:o

Assuming males haven't changed (adapted) very much over the years (we still don't think with our brains), then why would our ancestors choose to mate with the logical companion who is going to survive.? Our ancestors (like lemmings to the sea) would continue to mate with the blond hottie that wasn't going to make it through the next blizzard??? ?;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 12:52:41 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 01:29:21 pm »
You know guys, that shovel is just digging you in deeper and deeper. ::) ;D
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 01:36:38 pm »
Oh boy...where do I start. Jim...the rain in spain falls mainly on the plain...now we know that's not exactly scientific....

BUT WE LEAVE IT ALONE....YOU KNOW, LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE.....YOU KNOW, STOP, DROP AND ROLL, YOU KNOW, DON'T PLAY WITH BLASTING CAPS OR .........There are things we JUST don't mess with....

Oh well, history, cold men and woman aside....

We will be taking breaks on the mountain for comfort and warm drinks every 2 hours or at the request of one of our group.

Let's leave the  shovel alone!  ;D
G