Author Topic: LOOK PX12 TI LIFTER BINDINGS  (Read 506 times)

roof867

LOOK PX12 TI LIFTER BINDINGS
« on: September 23, 2006, 08:40:36 am »
Hello!
Wow it is great to be looking ahead to another ski season! I just scored a pair of new 06 Legend 8000's with a pair of LOOK PX12 TI? LIFTER BINDINGS all still in original wrapping for $305.00!. I was curious if these bindings are safe? I have heard nothing but horror stories about how dangerous they are to the knees. Is this true? I've looked for negative reviews, but I can't find anything in reference to the danger of these bindings and knee injuries. ???

PS: That spell check sure is nice!!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 10:51:54 am by roof867 »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: LOOK PX12 TI LIFTER BINDINGS
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 02:40:34 pm »
Hello!
Wow it is great to be looking ahead to another ski season! I just scored a pair of new 06 Legend 8000's with a pair of LOOK PX12 TI? LIFTER BINDINGS all still in original wrapping for $305.00!. I was curious if these bindings are safe? I have heard nothing but horror stories about how dangerous they are to the knees. Is this true? I've looked for negative reviews, but I can't find anything in reference to the danger of these bindings and knee injuries. ???

PS: That spell check sure is nice!!!

Hi Roof,

The PX12 is a current bindings, and none of the recent Looks are considered "dangerous". Having said this, you might consider the Tyrolia Full Diagonal toe/heal setup.

I have a few questions. Where did you score the skis, that's a great price. Does your ski require the Look, or is it a "Flat" ski that will accept any binding?

Cheers,

Michael

roof867

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 09:29:16 pm »
Hi Michael, this is Adrien. I bought them on ebay from a guy who seemed like he sold a lot of skis. I can give you his email address if you want. I found a few pair for as low as $400, but with no bindings. He had one pair left and just put them up for auction. Can you believe that price?!?! I never skied Looks bindings, so when a couple of people made comments I got a little nervous. the skis are 79/80mm at the waist, and I believe that the bindings are a wide break. They have 6mm lift and are the recommended backcountry binding for these skis.

Barrettscv

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 06:00:32 am »
Hi Adrian,

Well thats a great deal on a great ski, congrats.

I'm a little surprised that you have heard multiple criticism of the current Look bindings. Generally, Looks are well liked and I've been able to use them with a low DIN setting and can remember only one false release. I've never had an injury on any binding, but I also never exceed recommended DIN settings.

I know some Dynastars have the "wine-bottle" plate for the heel binding, while others are flat and will accept any binding. If your ski accepts any binding, consider another make and sell what you have on eBay. But I would not be concerned about the safety of the Looks. If you want to PM me with the sellers info, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 06:39:23 am by Barrettscv »

roof867

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 09:19:46 pm »
Hey Michael,

Here is the seller on ebay: jasontinanorth@aol.com (ebay seller id: chinese_proverb). He currently doesn't have anything posted, but you can email him.

Good luck,
Adrien

roof867

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 08:23:19 pm »
OK, so this post no longer has anything to do with my original question about the the PX 12 ti bindings I was getting with a new pair of Dynastar 8000's. This post is really all about gloating right now. I received my skis a few days ago, and it is better than I thought! The Dynastars I won, were the 06 red ones with the simple black Look PX 12ti bindings. Or, so I thought.? When they arrived in the mail, I received the 8000's in with the Fiber graphics with the matching 07 orange and black PX 12 ti bindings? :o...For $305.00!!! This was the best deal I ever found on ebay! Sorry, I just had to post it....but if anyone does have any advice about the bingings I'd appreciate it.

Dave T

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 02:28:47 pm »
Look bindings have always been my binding of choice. From the early Look Nevadas, grand prixs and todays P series.  I have skied others and unfortunately I was on a pair of Tyrolia diagonals when I shattered (spiral and tibia plateau) fracture of my left leg.  The situation that caused my leg fracture was really unbelievable and probably can not be duplicated.  That being said i will never ski on Tyrolias again just for the psychological factor. 

I currently have Look P10s on 2 pairs of skis.  The Look bindings have great shock absorbancy (hence can bee skied safely at low DIN settings if desired) and have the most lateral movement before release.   The Look design has some limitations in heel movement during severe compressions.  that being said. Great Binding and good match for the Dynastar 8000. 

Dave

kwilliams

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 10:36:45 am »
I'm not sure where the rumor of Look bindings being unsafe on the knees came from but I don't think it's accurate.  I've had Look/Rossi (same thing) bindings on my last 6 pairs of skis and have never had a problem.  In fact, quite the opposite.  The elasticity of the bindings allows me to set them a full DIN setting lower than I do on my skis with Marker bindings.  I almost never pre-release, which is more than I can say for my Marker bindings.  I frequently "almost" release, but the binding pulls me back in and back from the brink of disaster.  Lower DIN settings plus better retention equals safer bindings.  Also, I've always felt that the turntable heel design allows for a greater range of release vectors than most other bindings (with the possible exception of the Tyrolia diagonal heel).  Plus, the toepiece is bomber and allows a degree of rearward release as well.  I once release backwards and one of the pincers came dislodged from the force.  I was worried the toepiece was hashed but the technician at snowbird had it fixed in 5 seconds.  He said he really liked the Look toepiece for safety and durability.

Also, my wife recently returned to skiing from a serious ACL injury.  I wanted the get her the safest binding money could buy.  I checked with several ski shops, including the very knowledgable staff of Christy at Snowbird.  Without fail they all said the same thing:  The Look/Rossi binding is the safest binding out there.  I'm not sure if one can really make that claim, but sufice it to say that the Look Pivot and newer PX series are very good bindings that you should not hesitate to use with confidence.  I love 'em.