Author Topic: Wobbly Boots?  (Read 877 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Wobbly Boots?
« on: October 13, 2006, 12:20:12 pm »
When I purchased my Head boots last year I took them into my bootfitter to have him check out my alignment. After everything checked out OK, my fitter said we should probably plane the bottom of the boots.

Well heck, I had skied the boots and all seemed perfect....no need to mess with a good thing.

Well as fall approaced this year, I had new footbeds made. In the process, I set my boots up on the kitchen counter and noticed they wobbled. What is up with that I thought. I checked the other boot and same thing. The boot SHOULD sit flat on a flat surface. My thinking here is that since we are trying to create the "perfect"neutural stance, if the boots aren't flat, it could throw your entire kit and kabooddle out of whack.

So, I took the boots in for a sole cut. The fitter took off just a couple of high spots and now they sit nice and flat. What that means to my skiing....don't know yet or even if I'll notice a difference. In my mind though, I can't blame the equipment....it's all me now.

Ron told me that when he went to Billy, his boot fitter, Billy stated the for whatever reason, Head is notoriously known for having their boot bottoms off kilter.? He also stated that having your bottoms checked ( no wise cracks) is worth it since this can affect your alignment.

I know, one more thing to think about. Hey, what? do you have to loose. Grab your boot, make sure your wifes not in the kitchen, put one up on the countertop, apply downward pressure on the boot and see if it wobbles.

If you've worked on getting aligned or have any concerns in this area, check your bottoms baby, your turns just might appreciate it!

Best,
Gary

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: Wobbly Boots?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 01:09:50 pm »
Hi Gary,

My daughter and I had our boots aligned at Green Mountain Orthotics Lab last year. They also planed the soles of her Nordica Beasts and my Salomon Course. The cost for the service was small, around $25.

Nick Blaylock determined how much canting we needed and then looked at the "twist" in the boot sole. He said the twist in my boot soles needed to be uniformly flat. However, he did not want to totally remove the twist, since it was providing some canting benefit. He planed my soles just enough to remove the irregularities on the boot and provide a flat interface to the binding system. He also planed & aligned my daughters boots, her service charge was less than $40 and this included heal lifts.

Nick explained that during manufacturing, every boot is taken from the molds before the plastic is fully cured. All boots will twist as they cure and need to be machined flat. However, not a single manufacturer machines the boot soles and all are essentially delivering an imperfect product.

I know the GMOL inspects every boot they service to see if this service is required and beneficial.

Cheers,

Michael

« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 01:17:58 pm by Barrettscv »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 02:43:03 pm »
WOw Michael...should have brought this up when I bought my boots....

Great comments and ain't knowledge wonderful!

Hope this helps others with "Wobbly Boots"!

Have a great weekend!
Gary

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 03:08:04 pm »
It is also very important to realize that all the correct canting work done on your boots is rendered useless the minute you start to walk on a hard surface with your boots. Skis boots wear down on concrete faster than do shoes and just take a look at the soles of your shoes if you want to see what occurs. The only way to preserve the canting work is by wearing cat tarcks religiously!! I realize that this is a pain, but I don't even go in to pee without putting mine on. It takes an extra minute, but without them your canting work is done for good after about 5 ski days (and significant damage is done on the first day!!).

Gary if you are walking without cat tracks, this has had more to do with your wobbling than anything else. For $12 it's actually a very good investment. JB.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 07:14:45 pm »

JB:  I'm impressed.  It takes me a lot longer that a minute to put the cat trax on when I have my boots on.  It probably takes me almost a minute just to get my backpack off and get them out.  But, I don't know of anything better and they make it a lot easier to walk on hard or icy surfaces in addition to protecting boot soles.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 09:49:44 pm »
The real key here is the twine that Diana attaches to the back of the cat tracks. This gives you something to hold onto where you have some leverage. Everyone should do this to their cat tracks. It makes putting them on take very little time. Of course if you keep them in your jacket pocket you save another minute or two as well!! JB.

fredm8

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 01:25:08 am »
How does one know when one's boots are past there use by date ? or just need a tune up from too much walking in the carpark etc ?

Douglas

trtaylor

Re: Cat Tracks
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 07:57:29 am »
I've "extended" the tabs on the back of my Cat Tracks using black duck tape. Much easier to get on and off that way. Also, I've streched mine out a bit, almost to the point of being too loose. I just give them a twist if needed.

Barrettscv

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 08:34:41 am »
How does one know when one's boots are past there use by date ? or just need a tune up from too much walking in the carpark etc ?

Douglas

Several boot manufacturers have replaceable sections at the toe & heel of the boot sole, this might help extend the life of an older boot that still functions well.

Another solution is to plane the sole, install a plate on the sole and machine the binding interface to restore that dimension, see : http://www.gmolfoot.com/bsm.html

Cheers,

Michael

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 09:42:52 am »
Great points guys.... I know when I'm on the mountain, if I'm walking around, I try and find areas that are snow covered to avoid hard surfaces.

But....like Jim, I always thought it was too much a pain in the neck putting on the cat tracks. Will try some of your suggestions though to make it easier to put on.

As far as putting them on to pee....well Michael, there's only so much info you should tell us....but thanks anyways.

Going down to my ski bag now and get out my cat tracks for todays modification of the day!

Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Cat Tracks
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 11:11:24 am »
I've "extended" the tabs on the back of my Cat Tracks using black duck tape. Much easier to get on and off that way. Also, I've streched mine out a bit, almost to the point of being too loose. I just give them a twist if needed.

Great idea.  I can't visualize JB's twine approach (seems like it would cut through the plastic) but looping a length of Duct Tape around  the pull tabs in the back is something even I can accomplish, and that's exactly the problem I have, getting a grip on the tabs with an 'Old-guys' lack of flexibility.

As far a carrying them in a pocket, I don't have to stop to pee that often.

Thanks, everyone.

JIm

Barrettscv

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 11:11:36 am »
As far as putting them on to pee....well Michael, there's only so much info you should tell us....but thanks anyways.
Gary

What!?!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 11:13:59 am »
Gary

What!?!

Michael, me thinks you have been falsely accused of a certain use of the Cat-trax that was actually from JBotti, unless you and Gary have been spending time together that the rest of us don't know about.   ??? :o

Barrettscv

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 11:28:42 am »
OK, this is getting a little weird.

Michael

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 12:50:13 pm »
Yep, my bad.....so it's very clear here....jbotti puts on his cat tracks to pee.

Didn't know they worked on street shoes!

Gary

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 01:44:59 pm »
If you look at the back of the cat tracks, if you make a small hole on each side of the cat track handle, this will enable one to insert a piece of twine and then knot both ends . It allows for greater leverage and better grip. The duck tape may accomplish the same thing, but mine work great. JB.

Barrettscv

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 02:44:36 pm »
Thanks JB,

Ironically, I understood the importance of canting but didn't think about the damage done by walking on unprotected boots.

Thanks,

Michael

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 04:12:48 pm »
If you look at the back of the cat tracks, if you make a small hole on each side of the cat track handle, this will enable one to insert a piece of twine and then knot both ends . It allows for greater leverage and better grip. The duck tape may accomplish the same thing, but mine work great. JB.

JB.? So you have a single piece of string/twine making a loop between the two holes?? I like that, because you can just hook your fingers through the loop instead of gripping the duct tape.? Your/Diana's solution just moved up to the favorite.?

By the way, everyone, recall from my sailing days says a figure 8 knot makes a good stopper knot for situations like this, it's bigger than a plain knot so it won't slide through the hole (and remains easy to untie which has no value here).

sunrise

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 11:33:19 am »
I knew I could depend on you guys for some good ideas  ;)  Thanks for the tips.  I have some virgin canted boot sole plates that were done at the skunkworks and will definitely be getting cat-tracks but the twine and duct tape ideas are new for me. I've never had cat-tracks before so I didn't even know there may be hassles getting them on and off.

Nice to see some familiar names up here.   Sounds like you guys have already had some skiable snow out your way. 

cheers
Julianne (in Japan)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 12:26:29 pm »
Hey Sunrise...

Julianne, have you been in computor hybernation? ...it's already ski season...well somewhere in the world. Need to have you pop in on some of the tart subject matter floating around here.

All the Real SKier gang? is all charged up and ready to go. You best be getting into those "virgin canted boots" and start wearing them around the house. Gotta get those little piggies used to the plastic love blanket! Ah yes, what one thinks of ones ski boots!

Get some cat tracks stretched out over those bottoms. Takes some getting used to putting them on espcially if the hands are cold, but with some of the "make it easy" tips, should help get those bad boys on.

They certainly will help protect your bottoms....well you know what I mean.
Got your skis all waxed and ready to go? When do you think you'll see skiable snowfall in your area?

So...got any state side trips planned, any international concerts (where there's snow)? I know, soooooo many questions.

Hoping you, your bottoms and your "virgin canted boots" have an awesome ski season.

Best,
Gary

sunrise

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 09:15:16 am »
Hi Gary! Well, thanks for the well wishes, wishing you and everyone else up here a fanblatastic season yourself! Looking forward to hearing how the 82s go for you. I've missed your wildy humorous writings! Nice to see that some things never change! :)

Me in computer hybernation? LOL, I wish!  I'm on that damn thing pretty much daily. As for our season, over here nothing really gets going until mid November, and that depends on the season, usually not till mid December, though the BC folk are out by mid November at a coupla places.   Right now there's not enough snow to ski on anywhere, it's only been the last week or two that anything's fallen.

As for me, I can't really think about that stuff until the weather starts FEELING like winter.  I lurk on the snowjapan.com forums, occasionaly drop into the PMTS forum and, now that it's cooling down, I'll pop in here when I can, but that's about it.   I don't know when I'll test out my refurbished boots yet, but that's all right - I'll definitely get out there and am looking forward to finally being balanced properly in them (to remind y'all they worked on them to accomdate my larger calves). Might still need a bit of work, but they're going to be light years away from what I'd been dealing with!  And yes, the booster straps are now on there too.  Even without the canting I'm sure I'd be skiing better with the boots that will no longer push me forward or pull me back. Now all that is going to be pilot error only, there's no more excuses for me!    Now I'll finally get a chance to ski those Legend 4800s balanced.  I like those skis at any rate. 

The next acquisition will be a fatter powder ski - Hakuba gets deep snow, and it's usually a little on the wet side, well, compared to Hokkaido, so it's heavier.  I'll never forget trying to wade thru thigh deep snow.   That's frequent up there.    I'm not sure if I can justify it this season (many other things I need to spend money on), but we'll see.....    I may have some work up there this season, I'm not expecting mega pay, but it should at least cover my skiing and travel expenses and hopefully a bit more so that I can justify staying up there a little longer, instead of staying in town to work.

I'm going to see if they have cat tracks here, if not I'll get some from Harold sent over. But even still, I know I'm not going to get around to doing that until early december at the earliest!!!  I'll send the skis to be tuned around the same time I think.

I'll know in a few days if I'm getting sent to Vegas performing for some electronics convention in early Jan. I don't think I'll get it, but hey you never know, in which case I'll be in that neck of the woods and depending on timing might be able to slip off somewhere for a turn or two. 

I've also been painting a lot this year and getting quite serious about it, even though I'm still in the early stages. Even started a painting blog.  I love it and it's part of my longterm plan for eventually not having to live full time in a nasty dirty big city for work......   but that's starting to get quite off topic....   

Well I will definitely let you know where I wind up skiing, and of course, the very least I can do is let you know how the boots go - thanks to all the help you and the others have given me over my boot saga the past few years!

So yeh, happy skiing to you! When's your first venture out going to be?

Julianne

sunrise

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 09:16:21 am »
PS - you know, I ran that thing thru the forum's spell checker, and I see all my nasty typos are still there, LOL!  Oh well.....

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 02:05:52 pm »
Hi Juliane, now that's what I call an update...

Ok...so my 82's, very pumped about putting those sick green little puppies on my booties. Been told since I loved the 75's and then the 77's, the 82's are going to be Nirvana, hmmm, will let you know. If you get a chance to demo any of Head ladies powder skis....they make some great ones...but yucky graphics I think. Hey,.....you should be doing graphics for ski companies. Wouldn't that be a rip!!!!!

Sounds like your busy which is good. I hope things are moving in a positive direction for you. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with connections as well as your color co-ordinated ski outfits. Putting my mind in ski mode this time of year gives me great stress relief when I can close my eyes and see arcing turns on a sunny 8" powder day....OH YEAH!

You spoke of heavy wet snow. We get that here too but I think I really experienced the real deal in some heli skiing up in Whistler this past April. Cement..required a lot more work...a lot more....to make turns. It was a great experience though, just wished we had dry powder...hey wishes, smishes,..it was what it was...just love exposing myself (don't go there) to a variety of ski conditions.

I think you are going to be pleasantly pleased with your newly balanced boots. Remember to register the first feeling on your first few turns. Be curious to hear what you felt. I'm betting you'll be able to feel your feet working beneath you like never before, and boy, will those 4800 dance! As far as having a gig on the mountain, pay, food, ski....hmmmm...hard to beat I would think. Good luck hoping that happens.

Vegas in January...You can sure get to some ski resorts from there. Just pack your boots and get out to Lake Tahoe. Come one, coming state side if  it happens, ya gotta get some skiing in even for a day. That would be soooooooo nice!

Painting, yep I can believe it after seeing your designs on your CD's...you good gal! Hey, it's like anything else, ya got the passion, you can make it happen. Are you doing any design work for clients or private work for show and sale?

First away skiing is with Ron and Michael from Real Skiers. We are meeting in Beaver Creek Dec 11-15th. Another buddy is joining us from Chicago. Looking forward to skiing with other passionate ski maniacs like myself. We're staying right on the mountain. Should be a great time, can't wait.

Hope you remember to carry your PMTS drills to the mountain this year. Those along with your aligned boots and body should be good for some awesome turns and screaming yahoooo's down the mountain.

Best,
Gary

sunrise

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2006, 10:21:37 pm »
Hi Gary,

thanks for your chatty reply :) Your up and coming ski trip sounds great. I wish I could join! Ah well, another lifetime. Have a blast!

No chance of Head women's skis to demo over this neck of the woods and probably no chance of any Head skis to demo over here period. 

Actually, when I saw wet snow, I wasn't referring to snow as wet as cement. Niigata resorts get wetter snow than Hakuba (it's right on the coast).  I guess I was comparing it to Hokkaido snow which is much lighter and drier. Still, Hakuba can get light, dry snow too.

Yeh, those boots!  Over the year I've had several dreams of skiing in them and feeling soooo much new control! I'm sure that'll be the case! I'll sure let you know. It would have been great to go out on them a day or two after having skied a lot in them un-furbished, but I know I'll be able to notice a difference regardless.  And oh yeh, you can bet I'll be doing some PMTS drills to get myself going.... banana turns for starters... and a bunch of others....

Yes, I think I can get a little work up on the slopes this season. But it's always a dilemma cos  when I'm working I have to pace myself on the slopes so I can rest between skiing and working. But hey, I can't complain...

Lake Tahoe, huh? Okay, thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Of course I have no idea if I'll get the gig yet........

Haha, ski graphics, now there's an interesting thought....  Yes, things seem to be going okay for me at the moment. Haven't conquered the world yet, but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day...

As far as art is concerned  I'm just finishing off a job doing artwork to illustrate a novel! Who'dav thunk it?!  And yes, if people want to buy, I sell my paintings. haven't sold many yet, but haven't been trying....  I don't want to get too off topic here cos it'll bore the heck outta everyone else, so when I get a chance I'll drop you an email to update you with all the art stuff.

cheers
Julianne

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2006, 07:03:27 am »
Good morning here and good evening there!
What other ski choices can you demo in Japan? Any K2 by chance? I demoed some skis for Ski Press Magazine that began with an "O"...can't remember their name but they were a very good ski.
Do you know what that is.....???

Beaver Creek should be a rip...the guys are all gear heads and have great passion for skiing!

Nice to hear you can get the nice dry snow and say some mildly wet snow. Here, it can be, sweat your behind off wet in the northeast snow as well as north west and Sierra Mountain snows. It's not like that all the time but when it does fall, there are more people horizontal than vertical...so much more work but you learn to ski cause....well.....i t's skiing!!

Well you have to be pumped to get out and implement your new ski skills working off the basically brand new boots. Looking forward to hearing your reports.

Pace yourself....you're still a puppy, lady! Ok, you can take naps to recover. If you get out west, let the gang know.

You know, I've seen some of the Japanese ski graphics on their skis and boards....I'll bet you could do better...Ok, just one mans opinion, but heck, forget Rome, conquer Japan. I'll bet they spend more money on skiing...heck on everything!

Artwork for a novel...congrats... hey stretching and reaching is growth. Who knows where that road will take you...but for sure it's taking you somewhere. Glad you're chasing it! Drop a line when you can.

Well the weather here is turning cold, the fall colors are beautiful, and real snow is about 5-6 weeks away. We will get some snow sooner but it doesn't stay on the ground,...just teases us.

Our local mountain just added some computerized fan guns and a new trail. They did a great job making snow and covering everyting last season. Hoping we have another great one this year.

Best to you in all endeavors,
Gary