Author Topic: I'm a Hybrid  (Read 1034 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
I'm a Hybrid
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:50:03 am »
What is  hybrid?

1) something that is powered by more than one source of power

2) a person or group of persons produced by the interaction or crossbreeding of two unlike cultures, traditions

3) anything derived from heterogeneous sources, or composed of elements of different or incongruous kinds...

These are definitions I found in the dictionary...and they are ME  :o when it comes to skiing.

For all the love of PMTS, PSIA, CSIA, CSM or whatever church you belong to, I have found being a Hybrid to be the most efficient means of skiing for All Mountain skiing. I use less fuel, I travel greater distances without wearing out parts, I look quite handsome moving, AND....I'm rather progressive in thinking that.... maybe there's:

" A little hybrid in all of us"!   8)

Skiing is not a sport of perfection it's about the ride.... :D :D :D

G

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Re: I'm a Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:10:40 am »
What is  hybrid?

1) something that is powered by more than one source of power

2) a person or group of persons produced by the interaction or crossbreeding of two unlike cultures, traditions

3) anything derived from heterogeneous sources, or composed of elements of different or incongruous kinds...

These are definitions I found in the dictionary...and they are ME  :o when it comes to skiing.

For all the love of PMTS, PSIA, CSIA, CSM or whatever church you belong to, I have found being a Hybrid to be the most efficient means of skiing for All Mountain skiing. I use less fuel, I travel greater distances without wearing out parts, I look quite handsome moving, AND....I'm rather progressive in thinking that.... maybe there's:

" A little hybrid in all of us"!   8)

Skiing is not a sport of perfection it's about the ride.... :D :D :D

G

I don't know if there's a little hybrid in all of us, but this sounds like the ecumenical synthesis I've been working towards over the last two seasons.  I like the metaphor!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:26:52 am »
Ha...Liam...you get it! Nice!

I hope that anyone following this forum, peaking in....can take away a little bit of something special from all who post. Hey maybe they'll even post too.

Thanks, G

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:30:12 am »
As everyone knows, I am essentially a pure PMTS skier, which means that all I focus on is PMTS movements in all terrain (which is not to say that I have perfected them or reached the level I wish in my skiing). We can all agree or disagree as to whether PMTS is the right system or approach. Having said that what you do get from not going hybrid, is a deeply developed and engrained set of movements which by definition does nnot happen with the hybrid approach. IN PMTS whether you are skiing green groomers or double black bumps, the movements are the same. One set of movements, one approach doing short or longer radius turns and a set of drills that engrain these movements. I just think it is hard to perfect multiple sets of movements in the "Hybrid Approach".

Let me say in advance that others obviously like the hybrid approach. I am just explaining why I have chosen a different direction. 

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:46:37 am »
JB....I do understand that concept of what you're saying....I do know where my my strongest ski roots came from,where I am today, and where I hope to be.  I  like you have "deeply devloped and engrained set of movements" in the way I ski hardpack, crud, bumps and pow.

That process or evolution for me was taking those primary fundementals of what works for me, polished them, owned them and use them all to enhance the quality of my experience each time on snow. AND I still learn and evolve with great pleasure.

Not to different me thinks!  :D   
Hey for all...the road we take may be a bit different but if we're all smilin', laughin' and for us that wish it..."improving"....it's all good!

g

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 11:49:37 am »
despite being PSIA ed Staff i would describe myself and my skiing as and teaching as......

realistic perfectionism by any means possible. 

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 12:29:40 pm »
so what have you mastered Max? (BTW will not answer any of your questions till you go back to the other thread and answer mine)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 01:11:21 pm »
Jack of all trades, master of none?
I would say "nope" to the Jack of all Trades with respect to Gary, and I would also say "nope" to the Master of None. I would say (as he did), that he has mastered and owns the movements that he has selected. And while not all of those are PMTS, as he said without using the letters, "I know where my strongest ski roots came from."
And I don't know details, but I believe that Gary was well on his way to PMTS instructor certification when he decided to seek a different approach to his off-piste skiing.
Like you were saying to Svend yesterday, careful what you assume about another person until you know more about them.

I will also say that most people that ski with Gary become better skiers because of it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:27:24 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 01:16:34 pm »

realistic perfectionism by any means possible.

And I would love to know the difference between "realistic perfectionism" and "UNrealistic perfectionism".

Quote from: wikipedia
Perfectionism, in psychology, is a personality disposition characterized by an individual striving for flawlessness and setting excessively high performance standards, accompanied by overly critical self-evaluations and concerns regarding others' evaluations.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:24:57 pm by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 01:34:39 pm »
Jim...thank you for the kind words...and you insight is spot on.  8)

BW...you had me laughing..."realistic perfectionism by any means possible" loved it....

Keeping it light guys is the way I like to ski....

G

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 01:43:56 pm »
Max, in 2000 when I first met Harold, Diana and the HH crew....I was a lost sole drifting in the abyss of crapy skiing.

I became a disciple and to some extent still am. Seeing such positive results over numerous clinics I too was thinking that getting PMTS certified was something I was seriously going to go after.

I did have a change of heart as my expereience then and where and how I evolved moved me in a new direction.
I guess that's about as simple as I can state it. 

In the end....the Hybrid in me surfaced and I've been exremly happy with my growth and skill sets.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 01:49:52 pm »
Max....I think we did 5, including 2 All Mountain Camps back then.

I do and will always have the deepest admiration and respect for Harold and the gang. PMTS is the backbone for all my skiings moving parts!  :o

Best, g

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 01:51:39 pm »

What does "well on his way to PMTS instructor certification" mean?

It means that to my limited memory and insight, Gary was actively committed to learning and building on PMTS for his skiing and was also working as a part time instructor at his local hill?
My point was really that, IMHO, he made a pretty serious investigation of PMTS for the base of his skiing, as contrasted to those who dip a toe in the water (or the Kool-Aid, to mix a few metaphors) and may adopt a movement or two, but never really commit to the program.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:54:37 pm by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 02:03:41 pm »
It was really weird for me teaching at our local mountain knowing at the same time I was deeply into PMTS...I had to covertly introduce drills to the new students without having someone say stick with the "basics" bub!

Yup....you could say I was head over heel, hook line an sinker, and a "spreader of the word"....having also brought numerous friends to the PMTS fountain!

So indeed...been there, done that and now done this...and skiing better every year my "cheese" ages!   :-\

Cheers,
G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 02:08:16 pm »
The jack of all trades comment is about the definition of a hybrid.
I was sort of thinking about that old catch phrase when reading Gary's original post. My experience with farm crops is that a hybrid is an attempt to merge multiple desirable traits.
Hybrid corn that has high yields but is blight resistant.
Or a hybrid Prius, which is a blend of gas powered with electric augmentation.

I will also say that Harald and PMTS have built on their foundation over the years.  Lynn and I have often considered that Gary would probably be surprised at the content of an "all-mountain" camp now, but that is mostly not relevant.
And I believe that the ability to extend and grow PMTS is due to the solidness of the PMTS foundation (and the Des Laurier's program, I believe, is also PMTS like?).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:03:07 pm by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 02:14:30 pm »
Gary, is this you?

http://mogulmasters.us/forum/?p=21

http://mogulmasters.us/forum/?p=136
Max:  Assuming that I know where you are going, remember that this is marketing material, not movement analysis material. I'm pretty sure that the pictures and the verbage are somewhat staged and intended to show "improvement" due to John's program.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:21:45 pm by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 02:28:52 pm »
Hey Jim...for sure it's been a while since I've been back and all things change.

Yup Max...that a series of pictures through the years. The ones (blue jacket) from the Clendenin site were from 2 ski seasons ago in Chile performing edging drills.

and still evoloving! g

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:31:05 pm by Gary »

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 06:58:58 am »
Hey Jim...for sure it's been a while since I've been back and all things change.

Yup Max...that a series of pictures through the years. The ones (blue jacket) from the Clendenin site were from 2 ski seasons ago in Chile performing edging drills.

and still evoloving! g

A few thoughts about Gary's hybird skiing. When I first met Gary in Jackson Hole (now close to 5 years ago), he was wearing a PMTS.org patch on his ski jacket. He was the first person I ever discussed PMTS with on a face to face basis. And, he and Alice actually had been to Harald's camps! Whoo, I'm impressed. He just made these big GS turns and Alice was not far behind. He had the technique basics down pretty well.

My sense is that Gary is not technique focused, he's more about enjoying the mountain and the moment, especially when skiing with friends. Early PMTS, that is " lift and tip", was much less complex than the deep flexing movements advocated by Harald today. Looking at the Clendenin site photo's of Gary, a tall, centered stance with hands to the front and side are clearly visible. That's a very comfortable position and a lot of really good skiing can be done, maybe not very high edge skiing, but, serviceable over the whole mountain. Works for him, works for Alice.

I've stated many times, that Clendenin's four word turn sequence, is similar to simplified, brushed PMTS movements taught by Harald. For example, use of little toe edge, tipping movements, skis close together. I have to think that much of Gary and Alice's improvement is attributable to being under the watchful eye of a capable instructor, recently that's been John, and, getting the feedback needed to improve. They brought good technique. plus passion for improving into the training, and, just built up skills from that level.

Above all, Gary has clarity in what he wants from his skiing. Too often, in forums, perhaps we argue that our clarity should be adopted by others. What I will testify to is that Gary has a great time when he skis. More than a little rubs off on me when we get to ski together.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 08:08:32 am »
Mike thanks my friend....

To your point about my stance or upright position...the pics are drills working at slow speeds, maintain balance, weight transfer, quiet upper body  and feeling the skis. AND you are spot on...being under the watchful eye of GREAT instructors will benefit anyone committed to improving!

For me, adapting higher edge angle at speed, lift and tip, and deep flex are still part of my "hybrid" skiing....all depends where I am and what I'm skiing.

Mike I love the word you used..."clarity"....it's right on and so important I think...the only mold we need to fit ourselves into is that one that gives us greatest satisfaction!

AND I sure hope we can make some turns together again this season.

Best, G
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:11:24 am by Gary »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 08:51:56 am »
Further to what Mike said, I have also skied with Gary quite a bit over the past few years, and have to say that he has an enormous sense of fun and playfulness in his skiing.  He is always looking for soft snow, crud and bumps to play in.  As far as learning, his mantra seems to be "Constant improvement leads to more places on the mountain to have fun", and I have to admit that has rubbed off on me.  Watching him ski with our 14 year old daughter out west is an absolute blast -- the two of them are inseparable, and spend days snooping out little glades, steeps, bump runs, chutes, gullies, and all manner of cool terrain to play in. 

OTOH, I have also seen Gary stomp the throttle on some wide open groomers, and believe me, he can FLY, and with utter smoothness and fluidity.  But 95% of the time, he chooses not to ski that way (with emphasis on choice).  Not because he can't, but because other kinds of skiing are simply more fun to him.

Thankfully, he is not hyper-focused on technique as the be-all and end-all of the sport, otherwise he'd be a pretty boring chap to ski with.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 09:23:17 am »
That's it...screw Romney and Obama....I"M RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT!

Ha...thanks Svend...gotta admit we do have a great time and Maren, (a natural, balance, gifted skier) is a ball to play cat and mouse all over the mountain.

But to you point...finding ways to make the experience the #1 factor is what works for me, you and many others here.

It's not that I'm not focused on movements, it's constanly on my mind....cause otherwise I'd be on my arse much of the ski day...but sharing a great day on the mountain with best buds....wow...the best!

AND Svend...you...you you....this guys ski level in the past 3 years has rocketed skyward...from comfort on greens to skiing black bowls with me at Sunshine...and he's really starting to look for bumps to ski.

As his good friend...I get great satsifaction watching this evolution....look forward to many more turns!

Cheers, G