Author Topic: OSBE helmets  (Read 1178 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
OSBE helmets
« on: October 09, 2012, 10:19:54 am »
Does anyone have any experience or heard any comments about OSBE helmets or something similar. I wear glasses, and think I would much prefer something like that rather than the "OTG" goggles that catch my glass frames a bit (or a lot) everytime I move the goggles.

I know that Meput seemed to really like his OSBE last year. Anyone else considering similar?  Will the classic helmet and goggle manufacturer's respond. Last year I expected to see more people introducing similar products this year, but haven't seen it?
More importantly, let me know if you run across any pre-season sales on OSBE (or similar).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:30:36 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: OSBE helmets
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 05:52:51 pm »
I think you really need to be comfortable in your own "space" to pull off wearing the OSBE helmets.  They're just so other worldy looking.  I tried some on at SIA last season, but I was really concerned about fogging issues (even though they said it would not be an issue).  I just don't see how the helmet visor can handle fogging when you're really huffing and puffing.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 06:13:46 pm »
Other Worldly looking, I agree.
Huffing and puffing I assumed would be a strong suit -- being able to easily just flip the visor up and out of the way much more easily than getting goggles out of the way.

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:12:21 pm »
Hey, nice to know that I am "other worldly looking" and that I must be comfortable in my own "space".

Simply, the helmet/visor system just works. My helmet works with glasses, my son's without glasses. Both of us are using the visors with the foam air dam at the bottom (what they are currently selling). The early version without the air dam fogged for my son. When skiing hard and "huffing and puffing", just tip the visor up when stopping. The only times I had trouble with fogging was in true fog/cloud conditions when everybody is fogging.

The OSBE system works very nicely in cold temps. I tend to wear Rx sunglasses in warmer weather (>35? F) with a non OSBE helmet.

Jim, nice to have the forum back up.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:07:27 pm »
Meput:

I remember hearing your daughter say "you were out of this world".  Somehow that sounds different from other-worldly??
But I understand what HighAngles is saying. It's a unique look on the ski slopes.

Jim

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 07:42:24 am »
I agree with the unique look. But I don't care how unique, or weird, or space shot, etc. as long as it is functional - which it is. Now if I could only ski like master yoda, then my star wars helmet would fit right in. :D

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 08:05:09 am »
Hey Guys, what is an OSBE helmet?

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:30:46 am »
www.osbeusa.com

They make a ski helmet with a flip up visor so no need for goggles.
They are more well known for motor cycle helmets, and that shows a bit in the design. Higher end pricing, but the flip up visor (as opposed to removing goggles) is an intriguing idea.  Lynn and I were looking at them at Vail, and then saw that Meput was an owner.
Visors come in various tints, and visor can be swapped, but my interpretation of Jim Putnam describing the process was that I would certainly loose small parts were I to try it at the slopes.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:35:15 am by jim-ratliff »

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 01:00:17 pm »
I have bought one of the mirrored visors to try this winter. Peter Keelty has written that the mirrored visor is the most light condition flexible. If it covers most light conditions then the need to change the visor may diminish. I would recommend changing the visor indoors to minimize the chance of losing parts and no need to leave gloves on.

Another pro for the OSBE system is the wider field of vision than I get with OTG (over the glasses) goggles.

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 04:00:18 am »
I see now that they have two different styles:

The version that doesn't cover your mouth and nose looks a bit more "normal" and possibly more usable.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:39:06 am »
WHOA.....well like anything else...gonna take some getting used to..

Not having to wear glasses, the traditional goggles seem to be fine and I think this new look is a bit to "slap me to a rocket and start the countdown" look  :o...but certainly may have more practical use if wearing glasses with goggles where an issue.

Ain't technology wonderful!    :D

Best, g

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 07:50:38 am »
looks aside....

there is no way this thing would work in low light conditions.....

For one of your guys that own it I would love to know your experience in low light with this helmet vs Smith Sensor Mirror or Oakley High Persimmon yellow.

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 06:44:59 pm »
Bush,

Have used my OSBE in all light conditions except night time under lights. There is a yellow visor that works well in low/flat light. There is a clear visor for skiing at night - I don't have one.

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:07:39 pm »
I think OSBE may be onto something, but they haven't executed the design well.  If I were to improve their design I would change the visor so that it was smaller and would slide up inside the helmet (like in a slot between the outer shell and the liner).  I would also internalize the hinges and make them less obvious.  The hinges make the helmet look like something from Planet 9 from outer space.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 08:33:13 am »
Yeah and mine would have a heads up display showing me the weather, trail map and what side of the mountain is holding the best pow.

Yeah...HA....let's get to work...we may be on to something!  ;D   G

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 07:14:42 pm »
I think OSBE may be onto something, but they haven't executed the design well.  If I were to improve their design I would change the visor so that it was smaller and would slide up inside the helmet (like in a slot between the outer shell and the liner).  I would also internalize the hinges and make them less obvious.  The hinges make the helmet look like something from Planet 9 from outer space.

OSBE adapted the hinge design from one of their motorcycle helmets. It is ugly. They could black anodize the chromed round pieces and make a significant appearance improvement. Current visor size is good for facial protection, space to fit over glasses and field of vision. There is currently no competition for the design concept, no need to improve or change the design.