Author Topic: A puzzling choice...  (Read 2440 times)

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: A puzzling choice...
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 07:53:16 pm »
Walter Edberg is a Blue level PMTS instructor and a PSIA level 3. He is a ripping skier and fully versed in the PSIA/PMTS differences. He teaches out of Alpine Meadows. I think we are seeing more and more PSIA full certs looking for better tecahng tools and also wanting to improve their own skiing and this is bringing them to PMTS.

Walter is also one of the most highly regarded telemark clinicians in North America.  So he has an unusual breadth of skiing understanding.  If you have a chance, look him up and try to ski with him.  He has something of a Bushwacka mindset and is always on the lookout for cool terrain features to incorporate into lessons.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »
A +1 for what High Angles said.
I understand what Josh means by PMTS not catching fire.  They have more demand than they can supply (camps are full almost as soon as they are announced in July), and they have challenges associated with increasing supply. At the same time, every camp I have attended is at least 25% returning people (including me and Lynn, obviously), so people that attend obviously feel that; 1-the camp is worth the money, 2-their skiing improved enough that they want more, and 3-Harald is a heluva nice person IN PERSON.  But they have roadblocks to really catching fire, not the least of which is certified instructors and the entrenched PSIA.

Josh, thanks for chiming in with your thoughts.  I thought long and hard about "the Elephant in the room" and whether I really wanted to to ask the question, your answer was enlightening, and the whole conversation was civil enough. And I agree with your characterization of the "outside view" of PMTS.  One of my first managers used to say that "People's perceptions may not be correct, but it is still their reality."

I would also say that, if I remember correctly, demand for Josh's time exceeds his supply as well, so he must be doing something right in what (and how) he teaches.

I think a lot could be improved with a 12 step instruction program that all Level I's adhere to, and then letting Level II's and III's have more latitude in what they teach, but that is just MHO.

Thanks to all for humoring my hijack.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:25:57 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 09:17:42 pm »
[deleted.  was a reply to part of a post that was later edited away.]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:33:01 pm by ToddW »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 10:21:42 pm »
[deleted.  was a reply to part of a post that was later edited away.]
Sorry about that Todd. I realized that I had misread the thread, and my post didn't make much sense.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 06:43:59 am »
PMTS doesn't need to gain steam because it is on fire! Demand exceeds spots available at camps.

Max,
I would not call Harald's ability to sell out his instructional camps living proof that PMTS is "on fire". He has a very small, dedicated following, but, converting a handful of PSIA Level III's is not an accomplishment worthy of trumpeting. Any start-up company needs growth, I just don't see any indicators of a strong upward spiral. It would not be the first place I would invest my money.

Traffic on the PMTS forum is very low as he abandoned it last season, plus, he's has driven away many strong proponents away when their thinking is not in lock-step with his ego. He may be a genius at creating a product, but, he fails in marketing.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 08:00:04 am »
In spite of Haralds internet persona, when you look at the growth of PMTS under the huge monopoly lock that the PSIA has at every ski resort, it actually is remarkable. The quality of the instruction and method is just so strong that there are very few that come to a camp and or take private lessons that don't come back.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 09:55:16 am »
When you look at the growth of PMTS ....., it actually is remarkable.
I agree, especially in a stable market (i.e. skier visits static or declining).

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 10:49:19 am »
Massive thread drift  :o

Has always been a specialty.  8)

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 11:18:03 am »
What thread drift?

I started this thread to ask if Rogan was the right guy to oversee a new program for the education of our young racers.

LP asked about the founder of a growing, but still small, race-influenced skier education system.

Seems on-topic to me.  I think USSA would have done better to adopt the Essentials book and videotapes as its new training norm.  Let's see how Rogan turns out .... sigh.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:25:55 am by ToddW »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 11:29:56 am »
Nice justification (rationalization) Todd.
By the way, I hear Lance Armstrong might be available to help young racers with their training.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:24:54 pm by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2012, 03:03:58 pm »
What thread drift?

I started this thread to ask if Rogan was the right guy to oversee a new program for the education of our young racers.

LP asked about the founder of a growing, but still small, race-influenced skier education system.

Seems on-topic to me.  I think USSA would have done better to adopt the Essentials book and videotapes as its new training norm.  Let's see how Rogan turns out .... sigh.
I think they should have selected Ted Ligety.
More current name recognition and credibility as a racer.

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2012, 06:06:10 pm »
Hey Josh,

I wasn't able to get up to Stowe last year before the PMTS shindig, but I've stockpiled vacation days this year, so I should have plenty going into the season.  I'll make a point to take an extra day or two and head up early this year.  I've been meaning to get around to seeing Stowe for a while now.  If you're interested in putting up with me, I'd be happy to ski with you.  I still suck at skiing, but it's a PMTS-inspired version of sucking at skiing.. :D

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2012, 07:29:35 pm »
Hey Josh,

I wasn't able to get up to Stowe last year before the PMTS shindig, but I've stockpiled vacation days this year, so I should have plenty going into the season.  I'll make a point to take an extra day or two and head up early this year.  I've been meaning to get around to seeing Stowe for a while now.  If you're interested in putting up with me, I'd be happy to ski with you.  I still suck at skiing, but it's a PMTS-inspired version of sucking at skiing.. :D

Come on a Tuesday and look us up after Ski Bum racing!

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 07:21:04 pm »
Thanks, Epic--I'll see what I can do.  It's more likely I could make a Thursday/Friday or something, but I'll keep Monday/Tuesday in mind, too!

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 07:30:58 pm »
Dan,

Does that mean the NE PMTS shindig is at Stowe this year?