Author Topic: Expertskier Reviews  (Read 1476 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Expertskier Reviews
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »
I would be careful with .5 degree base. That will get very grabby on any snow that has much moisture content.
John: Noted, and I probably misspoke.  I think it was .7 and 2.0 instead of .5 and 2.5.

This was the recommendation of Precision Ski in Frisco (highly recommended if you ever need a tune or base work while in Summit County).  They said that their experience was that wider skis exerted so much force to come back to flat that the lesser base edge wasn't grabby and it helped get the skis on edge a bit quicker.  My Ullr's Chariots are tuned that way, and I still really like them (I know, doesn't match your experience, and that's OK).

Background.  Precision Ski was recommended by Harald to Lynn several years ago, and we've used them frequently.  On one visit we noticed a lot of SkiLogik skis there, and found out that they always did the ski prep for SkiLogik for the Denver SIA shows, and all of the 90mm+ skis were tuned at .7 and 2.0.

They don't recommend that base angle for narrower skis unless specifically requested by racer's.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:14:24 pm by midwif »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 07:55:45 am »
I wouldn't worry about the edge angles, Jim.  I bought a pair of real SL's a few weeks ago, which should ensure we have bottomless snow all winter.  You might actually need to get something wider..  ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 08:22:31 am »

Dan: If your "sacrifice" results in bottomless powder all winter then everyone on the forum will be deeply indebted to you.

As far a a wider ski, I'm set (for my skill ability).  I've got 72mm, 84mm, and 101mm.  Somewhere in there is a ski that will get me down most green slopes.  :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:29:19 am by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 05:46:46 pm »
If you want to make your skis more responsive to tipping movements (both intentional and unintentional) you decrease the base bevel. Its really that simple. There is no perfect base bevel for all skiers in all conditions.

In most conditions I prefer a 1 degree base bevel on an 84.
Max:  When you tried base bevels less than 1 degree, was it day and night different from 1 degree or was the difference pretty subtle?

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 06:42:11 pm »
Compensating for my limited tipping ability.

Besides, I would probably be on 72mm waisted skis in those conditions.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:34:05 pm by jim-ratliff »

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 05:06:15 am »
Do you really want to make your all mountain ride twitchy?

Good point.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 08:28:39 am »
Do you really want to make your all mountain ride twitchy?
IF it makes the ski's twitchy, then I won't stay with that tune.But I'm often willing to experiment or try something new.

And as I mentioned, I have my Ullr's Chariots tuned that way and they and I get along very well on groomed snow.  And that includes a couple of days where it was frozen hard enough that they were the wrong ski, my ankles hurt by mid afternoon. But the skis weren't twitchy, just sore ankles from pressing the boot with the force required for tipping on a frozen surface.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:08:51 am by jim-ratliff »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 10:58:48 pm »
There is zero tipping benefit in soft snow with a reduced base bevel.
Agreed. But the Peak 84's aren't my soft snow ski, they are my 'tweener' ski, probably 60%+ on soft groomed slopes or skied up light powder days.  Maybe more like I asume you use your iM78's. So I expect to ski them more on the edges than not.
But I would be pretty hesitant to go less than 1 degree base bevel on my Progressors (as you can) because I don't think my technique is clean enough.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:03:32 pm by jim-ratliff »

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 08:23:59 am »
Jim, I agree with most here, a 1* and a 2* (2.5* at most) side is fine for these skis. We haven't tuned them yet so if you want to think about it, let me know this weekend. The .7* WILL make the ski twitchy.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 09:49:55 am »
Phil:
OK, I capitulate. I will stick with 1* base and 2* side, and then try a different base edge whenever I need the bases worked on.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 10:03:37 am »
You have chosen wisely grasshopper!

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 12:08:26 pm »
If anyone wants a NEW pair of Peak 84 in a 177 with bindings for 300 plus shipping, call me at 530-582-5781

Phil, that is an excellent price.  Do you happen to have a pair in a 184 length?

I demoed these last year at Lake Louise, and loved them.  I never thought I would go back to a Head ski, but I was totally impressed by these.

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 12:57:20 pm »
Sorry Sved. There is a pair of 78's in a 178 that have been mounted for the same price and a pair of Maya#6's 165's for $249.00

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2012, 01:11:48 pm »
No worries -- thanks for checking Phil.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 06:54:14 pm »
I was looking through the inventory on Ebay yesterday. There are a shocking number of Head Peak series skis available for sale. All the asking prices are unrealistic at the present time but we all know that this will likley change. Pure supply and demand says that one will be able to buy any of the Peak series skis for a price close to what Phil was offering.

Now Phil and Start Haus usually do some big excess inventory purchases and blow them out at great prices. Usually it's with Nordica but maybe Phil could call the Head rep and see if rounding up this excess inventory and blowing it out makes sense. My guess is that Head is no longer involved and these are skis in the retail system and not manufacturer inventory. Still rounding them up and getting them sold is good for everyone! My guess is that there would be a lot of takers for the Head Peak series at blowout prices.

Either way Svend, have some patience and you will own the Peak 84's in the 184 at a very nice price!!