Author Topic: Wider skis for my wife?  (Read 2358 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Wider skis for my wife?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2011, 07:28:08 pm »
85mm skis will 'work' in powder, especially under a good skier...but is 'working' in powder all your wife is after?? 

I'll say it---she NEEDS (note my capitalization! ;)) a fatter ski.  You guys seem to be committed, long-season skiers who travel and seek out quality, deeper snow conditions.    A fatter ski, possibly (probably) one with some sort of rocker, increases the Gary 3 F factor...which spells out NEED to me. 

I wouldn't sell the dynastar right away no matter what she buys, a good 85mm mid fat is handy to have.

Jeez, Liam.....I hope my wife doesn't read any of that   ;)  She still has a log-in ID for this forum, you know....

A 4-ski quiver? Not exactly what I had in mind.  This is going down the same slippery slope as her shoe collection.....but let's not talk about that....  ::)

Could you delete your post, and send it to me as a private message? Stealth-like?   :D 

Just kidding.....thanks for the input.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:41:22 pm by Svend »

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 08:18:11 pm »

Mike...no, I don't go to Jackson with G & A, but my wife does  8)  Me, I have to stay home with our daughters. 

And thanks for the insight re. the mid-80 width.  Interesting feedback, and you're the first here to actually say so outright. 

Svend,

It does not compute in my brain that my wife would be in Jackson while I look after daughters. You are a far better husband than I. And, again, note to self - Return to Jackson and ski with G & A.

Let me put some more words around my thinking. In the 5 years since returning to skiing, I've been west for 30 days. Once, I skied in an above knee dump. Maybe 6 to 8 days days, I've skied more than boot high, and, that's the range that I would argue is well within the capability of a high 80's ski, especially if it's designed for soft snow. I do not suggest an 85 would be as capable as a 100 in these conditions, but, how much easier the fatter ski performs is a question involving the competence of the  individual skier. The phrase "good, better and best" comes to mind - pick the level you can live with.  Also, as pow gets tracked out, the crossover advantages of a narrower ski begin to surface. There are pro's and con's and we all get to apply our own values. There is so much buzz this season about certain 100's, and, the hype will be present in future years for other skis.

So, I'm in agreement that the "wow" factor would have to be present to make a change.

I know your older, I know you ski less but you came to stowe on day where there was legit knee deep powder skiing where I went in the afternoon.  there was no way your 88mm ski was going to cut it. I couldnt cut it in what we skied that day on your skis, there is no way that someone who is older and skis less could ski it on 88mm skis. Just saying your 88mm skis choice is a self fulfilling prophecy to not ski deep snow. You skied bumps, cruddy icey groomers while we skied powder.

I know you think its the indian and not the arrow. Indian make mistake on our shots, why not pick arrows that make its alot harder to miss our shots?  There is no REAL disadvantage to 100mm skis on hardpack compared to an 88mm skis. Its all perception, bias, and people talking about what they have never tried.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 09:52:34 am »
I think it's a matter of the right tool to match the skills and terrain desires the skier has.

Pretty simple....and nothing better than experiencing skiing in your favorite kind of snow with a great ski and then finding another tool that takes your skiing experience to a whole new level...truly amazing.

It's a matter of the evolving skier and when they're ready....

I've seen Svend ski and evolve over the past 4 seasons of skiing...and he and his wife both have the appetitie....time and exposure will get them to where they want to be...AND it's a great ride.

G

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 09:58:08 am »
It's a matter of the evolving skier and when they're ready....

I've seen Svend ski and evolve over the past 4 seasons of skiing...

You mean like this...?   ;D

[Attachment removed after 60 days]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:59:55 am by Svend »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 12:05:09 pm »
Why Yes....I do....I"m about 1/2 through the pack!  ;)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 02:53:18 pm »
I will be demo'ing some wider skis this year with an eye to upgrading my "powder ski" for next season.
My range would be 88-96mm at the widest.
No need for more than that given my height/weight.

Svend, keeps us updated on "the search".
As you know, I have a vested interest in Teryls' ski choices!
Her pans would probably help keep my demo list narrower.

* ADDENDUM*
Just saw posts made while typing mine.

Svend, I have found the Maungas very decent in powder > 12 inches.
I found it floaty enough. Now, I don't have that much powder experience, but they have served me well when lucky enough to experience a fresh dump.
They are quite soft too, which helps make bumps more manageable as well. (well, maybe not the rock hard trenches)
Jim skied behind me on a powder day at Alta in Catherines Area.
He said I was just slightly under the surface which led him on the chase for a better floater for himself!

L.

Hey Lynn, just saw your addendum way back in this thread.....sorry for the late reply.  Thanks for the input on your Fischers.  It's good to know that for a 130 lb skier, an 85mm ski will work and give decent float, even if only for the occasional powder day.  Maybe not the "ideal" width, but very serviceable, especially with a bit of velocity (should not be a problem, given the penchant for speed of the skier in question  :o ).  She is keen to demo, and has just put the Nordica Nemesis on the short list, so it will be interesting to hear the final judgement at the end of the season.  We'll keep you posted on progress, but please do the same -- if you get on a 95 or 98mm ski and go "Wow", you've got to let us know....

So....when do the new Progressor 8's get their first test run? Can't wait to hear your feedback on those.

Cheers,
Svend

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 05:18:54 pm »
Svend.
The first real Progressor try outs will be December. (my "backyard bowls" outing did not give me sufficient on slope time to truly assess ;))
Jim and I are going to Colorado 2nd week of Dec.
Will be bring the Progressors and will let you and Terryl know how they work for me.

L.
"Play it Sam"