Author Topic: Head RnR-Mid term review  (Read 452 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Head RnR-Mid term review
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:07:39 am »
Well, this is an update on a broadly well-received and well-liked mid fat ski.

For me, it has been a great 'all arounder'.   

Where do I like this ski?  Anything between truly firm snow and deep/ heavy-deep snow (especially in glades).  Yesterday we had the ideal RnR conditions on the mountain--we got 3 inches of wet heavy snow and mixed precip the rest of the day (with warmer temps)-This kind of fun and frolicking 'junk' snow is the RnR's bag.  It tracks beautifully, and, as always behaves predictably. It doesn't get tossed around, can be run fast or slow, feels best in medium radius turns (though long sweepers in these conditions feel nice, too).

It is a damn near perfect patroller ski. 

Part of it's charm (a big part) is something it shares with all previous 'Monster' line of head skis, the im line and the Peak series: The Ideal all mountain tail.  Head makes (or made, looking at next year's line up) the best and most versatile back end of a ski in the business.  That sort-of turned up, round design, that still has some kick, but allows for easy releasing, drifting, relaxed bump skiing, backward skiing, spinning--all while grabbing when you want it....is just plain money, and I think has always been a big part of the versatile success of those lines.  No other ski I have been on has the same delightful combination of traits that the back end of these Heads have served up since the early/ mid 2000's.

I see next year's replacements (on the discontinued RnR) have a wholly new tail design...so who knows how it will feel.

Most people compliment me on the garish graphics and I really like them.

This is a keeper ski, predictable, stable, and easy to ski with a high envelope of use.

If you are not someone who seeks out high-edge angle carving on hard snow (which I'm not) it could work as a one ski quiver, though, I'd always want a quicker hard snow ski here in southern new england and a true soft snow ski as well...but some would make this work as a 1sq just fine!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:34:49 am by Liam »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Head RnR-Mid term review
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 05:20:24 pm »
I swapped skis with a buddy and skied it a few weeks back and really came to enjoy the R-n-R after a couple laps.  I told my friend it was definitely a keeper.  I was surprised at just how versatile it was - felt very surefooted directly underfoot, but was readily compliant in the tip, able to rise up in the few inches of new snow and quite maneuverable in the bumps.  I couldn't move the bindings any further forward than the factory mark because it ran out of heel track, but I'd like to try them again sometime a bit more forward.

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:46:19 pm »
I'm glad you're still digging these.  Mine shipped today.  ;D

From the sounds of things, they're like a wider version of my much-loved Monster iM78's.  Can't wait to try them!

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:20:27 pm »
Dan - it would probably be beneficial to you to put that comparison out of your head and approach the R-n-R with an open mind (no preconceived expectations).  IMHO, it's not a ski like the old Monster series and definitely not like the old iM78, but it'll be interesting to hear your comparison once you get some time on the R-n-R.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 04:33:20 pm »
Dan - it would probably be beneficial to you to put that comparison out of your head and approach the R-n-R with an open mind (no preconceived expectations).  IMHO, it's not a ski like the old Monster series and definitely not like the old iM78, but it'll be interesting to hear your comparison once you get some time on the R-n-R.

That is a very good point. They share a similar tail end with the old im Monsters, but they are softer as a whole, no metal--They don't have that unshakeable crud buster feel of the old 88's-and are a little more playful and, well, different.   I'm also interested to hear what you think of them.

On Saturday, we had some of the funkiest conditions I've skied in a long time-heavy wet snow, that had been skied lightly and then refroze.  It was weirdly soft than firm that just unconsolidated weird chunks (by noon some warmth helped soften it.   I switched from my RnR to my Howitzers, and I have to say I appreciated the floatier tip and width more-actually, it made the day one of the best of the season actually.

However, by sunday, the off piste was more skied out (and down) and snow had a more predictable shape to it (and consistency)-I skied the RnR's all day and loved them.  They are my 75% this year (really soft, or really funky I like the Howitzers, and really firm or all groomers I still like my trusty Contact 4x4's).

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 05:51:02 pm »
These skis are getting a lot of praise.  Does anyone happen to know if they are the same as the women's Mya 9? They have the exact same dimensions, same tech specs, turn radius, etc.   Hard to find in the shops side by side to compare, or to demo.  These are on the short list as a new ski for my 14 year old daughter, as her western all mtn. pair.  Would be interested to hear from any shop people or those closely familiar with the Head line to pipe in here.

Thanks!

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 06:04:01 pm »
Hahaha--great point, guys.  It became obvious when I took mine out of the shipping box last night that they probably weren't going to ski like the iM78's.  They're so light!  I think these might be my only skis without metal.

I'll work on getting some wax into the bases and keep my fingers crossed for a day worth taking them out.  Hopefully that'll happen this season, and I'll be able to report back.   :D