Author Topic: Some slippery Yinzer trail stoke  (Read 252 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Some slippery Yinzer trail stoke
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 07:19:31 am »

Bushwacka:

Looks like a fun ride, even though a bit muddy. 

Technique question.  At 1:26 you cross a log that looks big enough to hit your chainrings going across it; so what do you do to cross a large obstacle like that without messing up your bike?

How big was the fallen tree trunk?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 04:18:14 pm »
I would say that one was about 16 inches high.

I can now pretty easily do this without hitting anything simple put you can bunny hop pretty high even at low speeds. My favorite way of crossing logs is to manual into them and once my front wheel is touching the top of the log, I burst from the rear wheel and everything clears fine. In the dry I would normally cross this log with enough speed that I would not even hit it.

With that said while learning and to this day I learned that big rings are useless for trailriding. In fact on a 29er I am hard pressed to be spun out in 32x11. I do not have a big ring on my bike, I run a 2 rings in the front or one ring with a bash depending on the day and my mood.

The bash make it so you will never get stuck on anything, increase clearance and makes it alot harder to actually break something. I have seen rides ruined by big ring mishaps involving logs.

so basically like all thing with me I look for the easiest way to make the equipment do something for me, before I better myself. I also do feel big rings are useless for anyone riding a mtb on mtb trails.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 04:05:53 pm »
...big rings are useless for trailriding. In fact on a 29er I am hard pressed to be spun out in 32x11. I do not have a big ring on my bike, I run a 2 rings in the front .....

I also do feel big rings are useless for anyone riding a mtb on mtb trails.

I must say I have to agree with that.  Even on a flat gravel rail trail, I could easily do without the big ring on my 29er.  Jim, when we rode last weekend, I was in my middle ring the entire time, and still had a few cogs left on the rear to up the speed if needed.  I can't remember ever riding with big ring / small cog (ie. highest gear).  I have been thinking that it might be worth ditching the big ring and putting a bash guard on.

That said, I can see 29ers being great candidates for the new 2x10 gearing.  Makes total sense to me. 

Josh, when you say you "run 2 rings in the front or one ring with a bash", does that imply you don't use a bash when you use 2 rings? Just pull the big ring off and bolt the crank back onto the middle ring?  Also, does the middle ring work on the smallest rear cog without bending the chain? I don't think I've ever tried that combo....

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:08:33 pm by Svend »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 05:30:07 pm »
You and BW both have 29'ers. I was on the 42 some, but could have stayed in the middle ring the whole time.
I sometimes need the big gear, only when riding asphalt getting to the trail.
I'll bert Josh  is running a 2x10 mtb.

Guess that's why the middle is steel and the other two are aluminum.

I've be en wondering how it would ride if I switched to a 12-27 cassette? Anybody have thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:12:43 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 05:59:16 pm »
Svend I am perplexed by some of your statements.

On my Anthem X 29er

I either run

24/32/bash with a 11-36 10 speed cassette

or blank spot/32/bash with a 11/36 10 speed cassette

the bash takes the spot of the big ring

The 32 is where the 32 normally is. The middle rings chainline is such that it work with all of the rear cassette cogs well.

This is my Single speed but for all purposes involving this thread you can kinda of see how the bash is in place of the big ring. The front ring on my single speed is a 32 tooth like most middle rings. It also sit on the same chainline as a middle ring.

Jim I have no idea why you want a 12-27 cassette on your bike...... I am single speeder but for my rear cassette I see no reason not to have the largest spread of gears in the rear.  On my 26er I use to run 26/34/bash with a 11-34 9 speed cassette.

Basically what it comes down to if you want to start tackling log overs running a bash is nice thing to have and will make the learning curve less steep. '

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 07:16:48 pm »
Hey Josh, I was simply asking what your setup was for running two rings and one ring.  Just looking for clarification from your previous post, as it wasn't clear to me what you meant.  But you answered the questions perfectly.  Thanks!

And, good to know that the middle ring can connect to the small rear cog without chain bend.  Time to lose the big ring, I think.

Jim, are the trails in your area that flat that you can go to a 12-27 cassette? No need for the lowest climbing gears? Personally, I couldn't do without the big cogs in the back, as there are some short but steep climbs in our trails.  If it's weight you're trying to save, there are probably other parts of the bike where you could better lose some, and keep the versatility of having a full range of gears there when you need them.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:23:36 pm by Svend »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 06:48:52 pm »
Josh, more on the subject of 29er gearing, you might find this blog post interesting:

http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/2011/09/friday-news-and-views_23.html

Seems like there is still some maturing to be done with the 29er species, vis-a-vis what the big manufacturers are building to suit.  I'll bet there are a lot more hard-core 29er riders who do what you do, and mix-n-match their own gearing to suit their needs.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 06:51:36 pm by Svend »