Author Topic: The "local" riding spot.  (Read 225 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
The "local" riding spot.
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:13:31 pm »
So since I moved to stowe, I have had access to a ton of singletrack with out ever having to start my car. This is most famous of the singletrack located just behind pickwicks, the stowe town loops. Great MTBing a stone's throw from 108.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/heat-stowe-town-loops-31914/

Josh

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: The "local" riding spot.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 08:04:20 pm »
Tease!

Life would be great if you could always just ride downhill, or, maybe even with the wind at your back all the time.

How do you get up the hill?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 09:11:20 am »
Jim and I decided to give the Prompton Lake mtn bike trail  a try this past weekend.
We had been told it was for strong intermediates. We felt that we were at the place where we
would be able to handle it.

WRONG!! It was so narrow, rocky and windy we bailed after Jim flatted his front tire, and went to the road. Then decided to try a section that seemed easier. Yours truly hit a large rock hidden by tall grass and went catapulting over the handle bars. Thanks to the thickly weeded side of the trail, the landing was without injury. Except to my ego.

Josh, I decided to look again at the trail ride above. It seems much more doable that what we attempted.
What rating (if any) is it?
It is wider, less thickly wooded with less rocky filled areas of the trail than we experienced. I wouldn't attempt the cliff jump (you are younger than my son) as I rely on my hands and arms for my job.

Looking for perspective.

BTW, are you enjoying your kick-up on Epic?? ;) ;D

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:29:35 am by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 05:43:42 am »
I think the trail above is pretty difficult in some spots. With that said there is a loop marked out that by passes the most difficult spots. There are also a couple other areas in stowe namely Trapp's that have really easier by my standards singletrack. Trapp's has well marked trails and instructional staff(including me). We also do guided tours of the surrounding area. For years the MTBing in stowe was pretty difficult there is now about 10-13 miles of trail that I would consider below a 5 on scale of 1 to 10 for how hard it is. I give the town loops a 6-8 IMO.

This is Trapps right here, buff flowing singletrack with no long sustained steep grades. Id give trapps 3-6 for their singletrack.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/vermont-mountian-bike-festival-report-31230/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:07:53 am by bushwacka »