Author Topic: Some XC racing POV  (Read 220 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Some XC racing POV
« on: June 29, 2011, 05:26:26 am »
http://unofficialnetworks.com/wednesday-night-worlds-catamount-27993/

beat by a girl, who has been a multitime national champion.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Some XC racing POV
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:03:42 am »
Great video Josh. Are you riding your singlespeed? Can't imagine that one gear could be competitive.

I get passed all the time by girls, or the more politically correct term, women. It's funny that my wife can tell everyone that she plays tennis with the "girls", while I get damn near crucified, by some, for using the same word. My definition of "cougar" is a woman on a tri-bike! :D And nothing does more for my ego that being passed by a teenage young woman on a mountain bike with me on my roadbike. ::)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:19:34 am »
Fun video! Very nice looking trails there too.  Reminds me a lot of the conservation area just 10 minutes north of where we live -- Albion Hills. 
http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trail.asp?id=12760

This is where we ride every week.  Every June for the summer solstice they host a 24 hour mtn. bike race that attracts about 2000 riders from around North America; one of the largest on the continent, apparently.  Very cool.  Josh -- have you ever raced this one? We're not too far from Vermont.....   8)

Here's a video about what goes on from last year's race:
http://chicoracing.com/2011-mountain-bike-schedule/24-hour-races/hot-august-nights/overview-and-schedule.html

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 05:28:10 am »
Great video Josh. Are you riding your singlespeed? Can't imagine that one gear could be competitive.

I get passed all the time by girls, or the more politically correct term, women. It's funny that my wife can tell everyone that she plays tennis with the "girls", while I get damn near crucified, by some, for using the same word. My definition of "cougar" is a woman on a tri-bike! :D And nothing does more for my ego that being passed by a teenage young woman on a mountain bike with me on my roadbike. ::)

yeah SS because its all I have right now. I have had a couple couple top 10s overall in the open classes in vermont and pa and top 3 and wins in Single Speed specific class. just not on this day. I was 16th outta of 40 on this day an off day for sure because I rode to much the week prior. I tend to do better on courses with more singletrack simply because I can ride it faster than most, and I dont get so spun out on my SS. this course was borderline cyclocross racing.

I have an Giant Anthem X 2 29er on order and should get one once they get restocked. Still going to use the SS for some races especially when there is a SS class. At least for races with no SS option I'll have a competitive geared suspended bike to hopefully compete.

next big race is the 12 hours of Millstone, I am running it solo in the Single Speed Catergory. I ll keep doing the wednesday night world's as they are great interval training.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 11:05:04 am »

beat by a girl, who has been a multitime national champion.

Gee, I like it when a boy is beaten by a girl. ;)
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:43:22 pm »
Gee, I like it when a boy is beaten by a girl. ;)

Well then Lynn, beat me, whip me, make me feel cheap!!   :-*

Bushwacka:

First of all, I'm sure you know more about bike selection than I, and your earlier posts indicated that you had done a lot of reading and research into the various suspensions.

Having said that, when I was looking I asked a friend of my son's who is also a sponsored racer, and he said one of the things he really liked in the GT rear suspension was the shock pushing forward when compressed.  He said it's subtle, but that allows the energy from the  compression of the rear wheel to add to forward momentum at a point when the momentum is slowed slightly by the obstacle.

He compared that to suspensions like the Giant, designs where the upward movement of the wheel just results in extra down-force on the frame between the wheels.  You're clearly pretty sharp technically, so I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on his thoughts.

And no, I didn't buy the GT because of such a subtle design doo-dad.  I had found an excellent price, then sent him the specs to make sure I wasn't making a big mistake.  He was very positive on the GT rear suspension design (like you) and of Fox front shocks (on your bike, I noted).  And said that GT had put a fair amount of research into their carbon frames, the components were good, so overall approved my decision (and was wow'd when I shared the price).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:05:50 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."