Author Topic: Head SuperShape Review (170)  (Read 1037 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Head SuperShape Review (170)
« on: April 17, 2006, 11:03:53 am »
SKI: SuperShape w/FF12's 170's 121-66-107
Skier, level 8/9 
Weight: 175
height 6

Conditions: Icy, hardpack to Fresh 8" of powder

Overview:The SS is truly an incredible ski!  This is simply the best ski I have ever skied on. Incredibly versitile, an absolute blast to ski on.  I did not ski on anything the SS couldn't handle. It's my 80% ski. (the IM82 is the 20%). Fast, nimble and rock solid. I would have to compare this most like a RX8.  It is not for intermediates!  It likes to be driven.  Skidders need not apply, you will not be happy! bring your technique and love of speed. Not a Sunday driver.

Icy hardpack and firm groomed day: Ski just thrives on ice and boilerplate, very stable and transitioning from ice to hardpack was seemless. This ski is just rock solid. Obviously, with the sidecut on this ski, carving is a dream, its so easy to rock this baby over and lay some of the tightest, deepest trenches! It is also happy to make large and medium turns, short turns are rapid fire, the ski is so nimble and perfectly balanced (for me) the reaction to minor movements is almost exaggerated. Just too much fun. You will want to drive this ski.

8" of fresh powder and piled up powder (blue level mogols)- I was thinking that I was crazy with these skis in the fresh powder. As I went down my first run, I was waiting for the sides to catch, nope didn't happen!  Don't be fooled by the 66mm waiste, the ski has so much float with the 122 up front and the 107 in back, it blasted through everything with ease. The only time it got caught up a bit was skiing GS turns across the fall line in about 1.5 foot piles of powder.  Even then it was manageable.  I actually demoed the 82's that day and that's where they sold me.

Ski the SS aggressively and actively, technique is a must, don't learn to carve on these, they aren't going to be a good choice, if you are a carve juncky like I am, you must ski them. Beg borrow or steal (just not mine) but  get on a pair.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

arby

Re: Head SuperShape Review (170)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 08:46:37 pm »

Hey Ron,

I whole heartedly concur with your assessment of the Head Supershapes.
They are so much fun that I only skied all my other skis for one day this season.
I just couldn't stay off of them.

I am 5'9", 190lbs and ski them in a 165cm. Very quick, very stable, even at that legnth.
You have to be careful, when they are loaded up at the transition, not to un-weight too quickly or those babies will throw you right over. The sandwich construction gives them a lot of pop--- Yahoooo!! What a blast to feel the G-forces and lay 'em over.

I only skied them in the East this year- a terrible year. Had ice, more ice, slush, and a few days of 10 inches of cement. The Supershapes handled it all. I was suprised how well they did in the deeper snow. Short turns are a snap and longer turns are no effort if you keep carving. And why not? These are carving machines, afterall.

A friend of mine demo'd them and had a hard time, just couldn't control them. Catchy. So, you have to be on your game, with good carving technique, to make 'em purr. I love these skis.
It goes to show that some skis fit a person and some don't. It really pays to try them out, no matter what anybody else says about them. I'm glad I tried the SS's before my friend did.

Imagine how they will be in a good snow year.......

arby

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 11:49:53 am »
glad you enjoyed!  Next seasons just a few months away ( I keep telling myself this).  Yup, they are not for the carving novice.

rspacher

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 09:47:16 pm »
Boy I would like to try these out, maybe in the spring

rlspalding

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 06:45:23 am »
CRAP!
I just bought a brand spanking new pair 2008's....but Im thinking maybe I bought the wrong size? The pair I bought were 175 cm. Im 5' 8" @ 190 lbs.

My PMTS instructor was estimating that a 170 to 180 would be a good length. So I went in the middle because I already have a pair of 155 cm Solamon scrambler's (which are probably too short and way too soft).

I havent tried them out yet, unfortunatley I got them just before I left for overseas. However, I did bring them with me as my 1 ski quiver for my month long ski trip in Korea :)  I think they have weather more like the east coast. I'll provide an update when Im done.