Author Topic: Accurate Snow Reports for various parts of the country  (Read 291 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Accurate Snow Reports for various parts of the country
« on: February 11, 2013, 02:21:09 pm »
At dinner in Colorado High Angles mentioned that "www.opensnow.com" is what he always relies on for Colorado snow forecasts.  To quote their web page "Your Powder Forecast Hand-Crafted by Local Experts".  They also have forecasters for Tahoe, Mid-Atlantic, and New England.  Worth checking out for your Colorado trips; and it's more than merely a forecast, because he describes some of the factors that go into his forecast.  And I especially loved the day while we were in Colorado and the report was "No forecast today, I'll be doing quality assurance in Steamboat, checking to make sure that the 24" they reported at mid-mountain is really there."

And, by the way, he is currently forecasting that the 3rd and 4th week in February are likely to be great for Colorado, snow storms coming through every couple of days.  And, as Gary said, Steamboat and the San Juans (southwest Colorado) have been getting more than their fair share of powder.

What other sites do you trust and use?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:22:28 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Accurate Snow Reports for various parts of the country
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 03:13:25 pm »
Intellicast

snowforecast.com

Wunderground

Weatherbug app for dasSmart Phone

and like grenades.....their results produce at best..... general targeting!!  :o
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:15:47 pm by Gary »

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Accurate Snow Reports for various parts of the country
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 05:52:49 pm »
NWS and snowforecast.com are my cross-checking sites, but opensnow.com really is an excellent resource.