Author Topic: I (heart) New York  (Read 733 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
I (heart) New York
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:44:43 am »
Leave tomorrow for the annual Gary gathering in Holiday Valley and Holimount. Sunday will have LP, Gary, Svend and Heluva at Holimount. In addition, we get to see and ski with Kathleen who is a heluvalot better looking than Heluvaskier. ;D

Gary introduced me to his group as the "moderator"  :'(  and, chose me to room with Svend. Perhaps it's hint that Svend really is a Viking warrior. I'm thinking of Kirk Douglass in the movie waking me up in the morning.

So, we'll all have to post up and share the tales to be told from this trip. Cold it be forecasted, we'll just have to light up the slopes. Come on lake effect snow!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: I (heart) New York
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:39:21 am »
Well Mike....the snow machine is kicking in....things are looking great, possibly 10 inches in the next 24 hours...
AND yes Mr. Moderator, your services may become essential for our super bowl party! As for sleeping in the same room with the Viking, just beware of his axes, very sharp!

We've got 10 guys, all passionate skiers, and a great fun bunch. Should be a blast.

AND bonus Mike...ya get to ski our fabulous local mountain, Bristol Mountain on Saturday....how could life be better!?!!? ::)

All are invited...it's always a wonderful get together..

Best,
G

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:19:30 pm »
I've been checking out the eastern US weather radar, and, it seems that the Holimont area is getting some good lake effect snow.  ;D

Svend promises to bring some good Canadian rye and I've stocked up on Philly IPA. Niners or Ravens?
Go Ravens, Flacco is a Philly area guy!

HeluvaSkier

• Consider me the reason you should pay attention...
  • Instructor
  • 100 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 03:43:40 pm »
I have 10-19" of snow scheduled for the next 24 hours.
All-Mountain: A common descriptive term for boots or skis that are designed to perform equally poorly under a variety of conditions and over many different types of terrain.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 04:09:56 pm »
Sweet....now use your powers of persuasion to close down 3 trails near Greer till we get there! ;)

Looking good...thanks for the update Greg

g

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 03:13:02 pm »
Hi All,

Arrived at Gary's to ski at Bristol on Saturday. G gets to the slopes50 at 8 and the snow was  fine. It was very cold  the mountain blew some nice soft manmade that skied really well. G & I just did Clendenin turns in the soft stuff and bumps. He made me watch JC's video the night prior, so we just drifted a bunch of turns. Left before noon to do some shopping in the local ski shop that was selling all skis at 50 % off. Very tempting, but, no buys.

Arrived in Hollimont at 8 on Sunday to meet up with HeluvaSkier and Kathleen. Snow was hard and slick due the recent rain. Snowed some in the afternoon and did some nice tuns in a couple inches of fresh. HS & Kathleen did a fine lunch for us, and, the day was just a great blend of social and fast skiing. Helluva gave me several PMTS pointers in the afternoon, so some drilling will continue tomorrow. For those on the PMTS forum, Western New York Skier joined up to ski with Greg, it was great to watch the two of them ski. More snow predicted tonight, so maybe powder in the morning.

Gary has arranged a Super Bowl party in our hotel room, so, I'm off to cheer the Ravens home! Gary is a social wizard, he's never met a stranger - all feel welcome! The 10 person group is great to be with.

On a down-note, Svend was called to western Canada due to his fathers health, and, will be missed for the second straight year. We are all thinking of him.

More to come,

HeluvaSkier

• Instructor
  • 100 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 03:46:04 pm »
Snow is in order:

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 AM EST TUESDAY...
* LOCATIONS...THE WESTERN SOUTHERN TIER AND SOUTHERN ERIE COUNTY.
* TIMING...EARLY THIS EVENING THROUGH OVERNIGHT MONDAY NIGHT.
* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 10 INCHES IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.
* VISIBILITIES...AS LOW AS ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES IN THE HEAVIEST BANDS.
* IMPACTS...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL RESULT IN SNOW COVERED ROADS WITH POOR VISIBILITIES AND DIFFICULT TRAVEL.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
All-Mountain: A common descriptive term for boots or skis that are designed to perform equally poorly under a variety of conditions and over many different types of terrain.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 05:45:09 pm »
May Ullr bless you with the full measure (and more) promised by the Nat. Weather Service.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 08:14:31 pm »
Today, Monday, was just spectacular. A little while ago, Liam posted about skiing over new snow that was laid upon groomers. We got that same condition this morning, cold, super- light snow, about 6 inchs on a empty mountain. Gary was first on the chair, I was 4 chairs behind....did he wait up...hell no! No friends on powderdays. I'm not sayin' these were the best condiitons ever, but, we sure did smile all day. Gary just rocked the Head 105 Rev skis, my Hart 77 did the job very well.

This week is all about skiing with friends. The conditions made it extra-ordiinary, but, friends and new snow are what our sport is all about. Ski while you can, it's precious.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 05:59:38 am »
A quick close out, just sitting in G's home waiting for a little burst of snow to clear prior to the drive home to Philly.

Yesterday was spent at Holiday Valley where we actually saw the sun for a few hours. HV is the biggest small rise area that I can recall. Hard, groomed snow in the a.m. made my skiing a challenge as some boot mods were done locally the night prior. Will talk about the changes in another thread, but, it's going to take some time.

Thanks to HeluvaSkier for some PMTS feedback and drills to work on. The man sugar-coats nothing...why can't our politicians do the same...but back to skiiing, much work to be done at very, very basic drills.

G plans the same trip next year, I'll be back...and maybe some of you can join in.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 09:38:27 am »
Quote from: gandalf
Edited to prevent copyright infringement.  The word Epic is now owned by Vail.
It was truly an epic "Peak" trip at the little resorts that could. With groomers on Sunday to watch a fantastic exhibition of Greg screaming down the mountain with explosive energy and technical skills looking like an Olympic Downhiller...it was super fun. Add in the crock pot of meatballs and the pasta salad Kathleen made....it turned out to be a great day of sharing turns and food with wonderful friends.

Day 2...the snow Gods found it in the pleasure to dump 6 inches of cold blower snow....I mean.....it was absolutely the perfect snow we dream of...light and fluffy. Even end of day piles were sweet to ski through. Gotta say I was so amped up to see that kind of snow fall..blowing by my son on the first run..he yells out..."Dad.....that's just not right".....gesh..should I have felt bad.
well maybe just a little.
The 3rd day...it was hard charging carving snow day...what a blast to tip and crank out turns. Yes, I brought 3 pairs of skis. The 84's sat lonely in the truck while the 78's and the 105's got all the attention. Next time 84's, next time!

AND...I was not disappointed in the Rev 105's....for me...spot on fun, versatile, in the pow, hardpack and even some bumps. So for now...my quiver is complete... :D
As a sidenote...I have the Rev's in 181 length, ( I'm 5'7, 148lbs)  and they're mounted 3cm forward of the factory mark....spot on for me.

I've sent an email to those who attended and also others that were interested that next years trip is on the calendar for Feb 2, 3 and 4 of 2014. We love to have more from our forum join us if possible. Always fun and we've been fortunate to have such great conditions. Let me know if any and all can make it.

Best, G
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:01:58 am by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 12:42:53 pm »
Oh wise one...JR you messed with my "e" word......but it wasn't capitalized   :-\

WOW....gesh...that word shall never cross my mind when I have a Peak snow day, or how about a Peak romantic event!?!?!?   :P

I mean is that "e" word never to be used (not capitalized) on this forum from here to an "e" eternity?  :o

I mean do we have choices?

Synonyms:

bigger than life, bold, classic, courageous, daring, dauntless, doughty, elevated, exaggerated, fearless, fire-eating, gallant, grand, grandiose, gritty, gutsy, gutty, high-flown, impavid, inflated, intrepid, lion-hearted, mythological, noble, stand tall, stouthearted, unafraid, undaunted, valiant, valorous

Gosh...we gotta get the word out.... ;)   g
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:45:45 pm by Gary »

HeluvaSkier

• Instructor
  • 100 Posts
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 01:23:39 pm »
I say we start replacing the epic in EpicSki with "inflated". Seems appropriate and would let us use epic as it was meant to be used.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 08:46:56 pm »
looks like I need to start planning for next Feb.  Sounds like a great time.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 07:52:01 am »
Hey Perry....that would be fantastic! You're now on my radar!  :D