Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures: The Softer side of Rad  (Read 594 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Guilty Pleasures: The Softer side of Rad
« on: January 17, 2013, 10:43:51 am »
Does 5 inches count as a powder day? ;) 

Do you know what one of my favorite, and I mean favorite, things to ski is?

I love skiing, first run,  a moderately steep, wider trail that was groomed the night before a snow storm; whether that storm dropped 2 inches or 2 feet, I just  love the absolute worry free swooshing through new snow knowing a very solid, smooth, consistent base lies underneath the whole way down.  Pure bliss.  No thoughts about technique, or tactics, nothing but the snow.

Yesterday, at our local bump, I got 4-5 uninterrupted runs down competition, our steepest groomed run.  It had 5 inches of new snow sitting on top of it and had been groomed right before the snow fell.  Nope, it's not rad skiing, it sure ain't difficult or challenging skiing, but goddamn it, it is absolutely delightful skiing.  I'd take that every single day if I could get it.

I like steep and deep (separately or together!), and trees, and bumps, etc, but sometimes easy, consistent and fresh is the sweetest treat of all.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

byronm

• 100 Posts
Re: Guilty Pleasures: The Softer side of Rad
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 02:36:31 pm »
Sounds great Liam....that scenario for the aspiring "rad-lite" skier is a confidence builder. Of course, then  as conditions get more challenging and reality introduces itself in a series of  "I'll teach you to get cocky" events...we await the next morning as described...... ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 02:52:32 pm »

Liam: Kudos to you.  I always thought that one of the few "perks" of ski patrol was the ability to get out on the slopes before opening (but usually with work to do).  Offsets some of the other requirements, such as also being out on the slopes on the miserable days when it's raining, nasty windy, bitterly cold, or uber busy with accidents and associated forms.

Similar skiing, but Vail and Beaver Creek continue their grooming during the day, and I love to get in behind the groomer.  Much nicer even than corduroy that has sat overnight and frozen.

But the dusting (or more) of powder on top is very nice.
I wonder if I would get tired of it if every run was like that all day, every day?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 03:33:46 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 05:08:19 pm »
Nope, Jim you wouldn't get tired of it (you'd just resent skiing anything else!).

I'm with you on chasing groomers-When the groomer runs a few lines through mid day pow-crud, I literally chase the machine down the hill, those creamy lines of corduroy are some truly delightful skiing.

The perks come from skiing at a smaller off the grid resort, powder lines are available longer than at name places.  Another reason to hit Berkshire East....

Liam

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:01:46 pm »
In Summit county, CO, out of all of the great mountains we have available I love Keystone's groomers.  The front side of Keystone is typically groomed absolutely incredibly.  Keystone may not get as great snow as some of the other mountains, but what they do get they take really good care of.

So I was out at Keystone this morning and I can definitely relate to the feeling of skiing some really well manicured runs.  I heard from my skiing partners that yesterday at Keystone was exactly like what Liam described.  Too bad I missed it!

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:41:15 pm »
Why is it a guilty pleasure?
Why not a great pleasure?

Just because there are skiers who sneer at groomed skiing doesn't
mean we have to empower them by feeling guilty at our enjoyment of them.

We are being environmentally responsible by skiing locally and feeding our local economies. ;D

"Play it Sam"

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 05:55:40 am »
Well, of course it's a great pleasure, but an nice easy one-a powder experience with n work that even most low intermediates could appreciate.  And just to be clear, what I'm extolling is that unique human made collaboration with fortuitous nature, that is Fresh snow sitting on top of a groomed trail.  Pleasantly predictable powder...love it!

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 10:08:28 am »
Liam,

2 years ago the Epic gathering was in Summit Co. in very late March, the place was empty. At Breck, we arrived to 6" on brand new, light Colorado pow over a fully groomed lower portion of Breck. I smiled all morning long! No guilt thoughts whatsoever.

We ski in enough crappy conditions, just enjoy when the days you describe actally happen. It's the stuff we dream about, or at least in my dreams.

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 04:58:25 pm »
That is a great guilty pleasure. Mine is ungroomed snowmaking whales. Yesterday we had the perfect combo fresh huge ungroomed whales on Liftline with 4" of new on top. Wheeeee!