Author Topic: bindings mounted off-center (laterally)  (Read 208 times)

scottpetill

bindings mounted off-center (laterally)
« on: December 03, 2007, 10:58:54 pm »
I just had a pair of Head Monster 82's (2007's) mounted with Look PX12's and there are some issues with the placement:

1. On ski A the toepiece is OK in the front but the rear of the toe-piece is about 2mm off-center left.
2. On ski A the heal is about 3mm too far left (Which means 1.5mm off center, right?).
3. On ski B the toe seems OK but the heel is off about 2mm.

They both seem to be mounted in the same center spot along the length, which is good.
When I give these measurements, ie. 3mm too far left, I mean when I measure the distance to ski edge from the plate of the binding there is 3mm difference to the edge on one side, so it would really only need to move 1.5mm to center.

Question: Should I be concerned with these errors in terms of their affect on my skiing? Are these errors within acceptable ranges? I could take them back and ask them to loosen the screws and re-tighten while pressuring the binding in the direction they need to go but I wonder if they would eventually settle back.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
-sp

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: bindings mounted off-center (laterally)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 07:42:45 am »

My daughter-in-law had a pair of dynastars that just didn't feel right for two years, and her husband finally noticed that one ski was mounted off-center; so I believe that fairly small differences can be noticed (I don't remember how much off hers was). 

I would talk to the shop and see what they say.  It could be that the the template slipped when they were drilling the holes, could also be that the holes are correct and there are just minor variations in the edges of the binding itself (in which case you probably won't notice the difference).

If you notice it, I think it will be in terms of extra effort required for an edge in one direction vs. the other, because your fulcrum is 3mm farther away from the edge.  so skiing one direction they would edge like a 79mm ski and the other they would feel like an 85mm ski.

Just thoughts, not sure how knowledgeable they might be.  Wait for some other feedback.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: bindings mounted off-center (laterally)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 05:00:41 pm »
I had this exact thing happen and was not a happy camper.  Yes it makes a difference.  Thankfully the owner of the shop remounted the skis correctly with a railflex binding and gave me back the binding that they screwed up.  That was a more than generous solution, but not unreasonable in that I was inconvenienced (had to ski a different ski on a trip out west) and that a good shop should get it right every time.