Author Topic: Head Ski Boots  (Read 804 times)

hobbes429

Re: Head Ski Boots
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 10:15:48 am »
I definitely plan on getting 2-3 pair and working with the bootfitter to decide on the final one.  Thank goodness for return policies!  I am down to the '06 Head S10, the '07 Tecnica Diablo Flame. and the Nordica SpeedMachine 14.  Can't see spending the extra on the '08's when there are so many good prior year boots that work!  Haven't found a good deal on the Nordicas yet, but I am ordering the others today!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 07:04:13 am »
of those 3, I like the Head, if you have an average sized foot, the Nordica Beast is a better boot than the Speedmachine IMHO but it's too wide for me.

trtaylor

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 08:28:20 pm »
yeah, the Raptor is a sweet boot as well. I can't wear heads as the Instep is too high.? As gary said, I got a few pairs and we just went with what fit best. I got a softer flexing boot (100 for Atomic) which turned out to be great; especially off-piste. the fit was so good and so different from my old pair (Nordica Beasts) that it took several days on the snow to adjust. It was really that different,

When I was shell fitting earlier this year I narrowed my selection down to the Head Raptor, the Falcon 10 and the Nordica Dobermann Pro 130. These three are all quite similar, 98 mm forefoot with low insteps and well-defined heel pockets. The cuff on the Falcon didn't fit my claves as well as the other two. The Falcon probably has the best liner, though.

The Raptor felt like it had a slightly lower instep than the Dobermann (not at all like previous year's Head boots) and was tight in the "throat", the area where the lower leg and instep meet. It would tend to pinch my leg pretty good taking it off and on.

The Dobermanns fit my lower foot well, the cuff fit my calf and I liked the stance. Plus, black is cool :)

I'm sure Billy could have made any of these work for me, but I am very happy with the selection I made (Dobermanns).

Check pages 12 - 14 of the Kandahar catalog for boot comparisons. http://www.kandahar.co.jp/catalog/
The three numbered boxes you see for each boot are relative values for forward lean, width and instep height.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 07:01:18 am »
taylor, thanks for the info on the boot fit cahracteristics. very interesting. Ta=hat nordica is an awesome boot for sure. Interesting to hear about the raptor as I need a very low instep. Yes, the black is cool, so I guess my white Atomics aren't ?  :)