Author Topic: I'm looking into new skis  (Read 1401 times)

Glenn

Re: I'm looking into new skis
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 06:04:56 am »
Ok, more info!

I'm kinda shopping deals right now since there are some good ones from the sellers on epic ski.

So here's the current list:

Apache Recon
Elan Magfire 12
Fischer Cold Heat

Guess it's time to hit realskiers and check out those reviews..... 8)

Edit:
That was $20 well spent last week on that review site.  ;D

Looks like the Mag 12's and the Cold heat are both a bit wider in then waist than the Recon.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 06:10:28 am by Glenn »

Glenn

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 06:23:28 am »
I hadn't really considered this ski until Sierra Jim mentioned it. I was talking to him about the Dynastar 8000 and the K2 Recon.

Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous: http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/Nordica-Hot-Rod-Nitrous-System-16507.asp

He said this has a better edge hold than the Recon; but it's also smoother than the 8000. To me, it sounded like a mix of both skis. My concern with the Recon was the edge grip. While I don't need a pure race slalom ski that will hold and edge on a 75 degree sheer ice slope...I would like something that can hold on VT hardpack.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on these in a 176 today.  ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 12:26:57 pm »
Glen...although I have not personally taken the Nitrous for a ride, I hear very good things and the reviews here for the ski are solid.

Finding it in a 176 might be a problem cause I think it comes in it's closest lengths of 170 and 178....

Still at 123 78 108......nice side cut and good turning radius...it should be a great eastern/western hardpack to shin high snow ski.

Best,
Gary

Glenn

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 12:59:51 pm »
Gary,
I should have checked before posting. You are right about the 178...and that's what I ordered today. Can't wait!!!!!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 01:19:12 pm »
Saweet!...Can't wait to see your reviews...

Glenn

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 06:45:38 am »
I have a tracking number, but I don't think they shipped yet. If all the planets align, I should have them by late next week. I was at the ski shop yesterday getting some hot wax (I've been using F4...but for spring snow, I'm going to need some beefier wax) and asked them about binding mounting. They said to call and give them a date. SO! In theory, if I get these late next week, I can have them mounted and ready to roll Saturday...then take a trip up to VT Sunday. It's kinda "do or die" time because we're getting late into the season. I would like to take these for a rip before the season ends. If not, summer is only going to drag on longer. LOL!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 07:07:23 am »
Good luck Glen....
I'll check with our in house astronomer to see if the planets can be coerced to co-operate!
G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 08:53:09 am »
this is one of the most underrated skis. I skied it the 1st year out very nice cruising and GS carver, not super quick, but a solid, fun ski capable of hard through moderate power. Good crud ski as well. Nice feel underfoot.

Glenn

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 10:21:29 am »
Thanks Ron! That's just what I wanted to hear. I mostly do long GS turns when I open it up...and there's here in New England can certainly get "cruddy".  ;D

I agree, I've heard a lot of good things about it, but finding more than a few reviews was challenging. Finding reviews for the Apache Recon, on the other hand, turned out to be very easy.

I'm glad I found this ski though. Can't wait to test it out.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 10:44:46 am »
just not a K2 person, Nordica is a solid ski, damp but not dead. Just not a "sexy" ski and so it gets left out. Most guys skiing Nordica's want big burly and go with the top fuel which IMHO is too stiff for it's size and purpose.  Why does anyone want a ski that has to be driven all day to enjoy? If you are skiing 1/2 days back east or masters racing, OK, but not so much for me!

Glenn

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 11:46:44 am »
I was worried that the K2 wasn't lively enough. I had read some reviews that it's not as snappy as other skis. On the other hand, I didn't want something that needed constant attention. Don't get me wrong, I like to crank. But I'm also not 17 any more...I can't rip 110% all day long...then drive home.   :D  I was looking at a pair of Volkl's, but Sierra Jim had mentioned they were almost a race ski. Again, I dind't want something that demanded a lot of input. That's kinda like driving an old sports car that you have to double clutch...in rush hour traffic.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 11:57:48 am »
yup, did you read the last sentence of my post? can't agree more. There really is no need for overly stiff skis or boots unless you are racing or just into that sort of thing. Technique & finesse. You can go plenty fast on just about any ski. A supershape is the stiffest ski I would ever want. The 84 is pretty soft but has a great feel underfoot and can be carved pretty aggressively. Just not so happy on hard pack. The new Hart ski I am getting should be a fairly stiff ski, sandwich construction made in Italy by Blossom. It should be along the lines of a Head Magnum.  Good long run, GS ripper with ability to play around abit along the edges and such.

Glenn

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 12:44:48 pm »
I'm happy with a good GS ski.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 01:21:55 pm »
I'm happy with a good GS ski and a good powder ski..
Fixed it for you!

Glenn

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 07:23:02 pm »
I'm happy with a good GS ski and a good powder ski..with a set of twin tips thrown in for good measure
Fixed it for you!

Fixed again! I'm liking the idea of having a "quiver".  >:D