Author Topic: How do you "Haul"  (Read 334 times)

byronm

• 100 Posts
How do you "Haul"
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:07:17 am »
One of the peripheral expenses and logistical considerations I found since getting back into skiing is the hauling aspect. I drive a mid size crossover and didnt want to hug my skis on longer drives. I wanted some additional hauling capability for my my kids to stash snowboards and such when they can get away from work, so I purchased a rooftop carrier box.
I bought the Thule rapidcross base racks and aeroblade crossbars along with a less expensive cargo box by Aero. (Hope it is up to the task) I have heard that some of the cheaper boxes are not as sturdy.
I am still waiting for the base racks and crossbars to come in before I can get on the road. Anyone have any experience with these boxes...do's and don'ts....??

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
Re: How do you "Haul"
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:28:11 am »
My skis just ride in the back of my Outback, but I've had friends lose stuff out of boxes that popped open on the highway.  From their experiences:

Do:

Triple-check that all the latches are latched, and locks are locked
Inquire about any warranty that might cover your gear if a box opens on the highway

Don't:

Overstuff the box
Buy Yakima boxes

Good luck!

byronm

• 100 Posts
Re: How do you "Haul"
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:54:16 am »
Thx....Dan....I didn't buy a yakima box but I did buy Thule base racks and crossbars. As for the latch...I will take a look at the sturdiness and if at all conerning...I have a handy dandy drill, rivet tool and a few different size clasps for added security... ;D