Author Topic: Berkshire East-Pow Day gets season rolling!  (Read 682 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Berkshire East-Pow Day gets season rolling!
« on: December 28, 2012, 06:55:40 am »
Hey Fellow Peak Skiers,

Well, we finally got a shot of snow yesterday (a very dense, heavy 16 inches!!) here in Charlemont ,MA at Berkshire East ski area.  I know many of us on this forum enjoy and routinely ski smaller areas in the east (except Jbotti who routinely skis the largest area in the Continental US ;D ).  If you are a fan of uncrowded smaller ski areas with great terrain (and low prices) you really ought to spend a day at Berkshire East ski area in Charlemont, MA.

I patrol there and would be happy to meet up with visiting Peak Skiers whenever possible. 

Honestly, if you are planning on skiing on a Holiday weekend (this weekend through tuesday, MLK weekend, President's week) in the East, I wouldn't ski anywhere else.   Lower skier density, no lift lines, no parking hassles and much lower cost than any VT ski area, and much closer, too  for most folks--and very great terrain (really, shockingly good and challenging for a small area with only 1100' vertical).

The owners have really upgraded the snow making this season (all new 8 inch pipes, new up top pond, new compressors) and have been really getting after the creation of great conditions.  Yesterday we opened the entire mountain (trees included!!!)-we have lots of cold weather on tap for the next week or two so the season is really taking off, and just in time.

Yesterday's pow day was awesome (I finally feel like a skier again!)--and I've got the feeling it's the beginning of a great season--slightly weather delayed, but that's life in southern New England.

Liam

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Berkshire East-Pow Day gets season rolling!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:41:17 am »
Liam,

Glad that 'Beast is finally getting the goods. It sounds like a great little area, and, I commit to getting there sometime this season. I spoke with Gary last night and he also got a dump at his home hill. In Philly, we got the south-side storm rain. >:(

Mike

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 07:42:16 am »
Liam:
Lynn and I actually hope to make a day (or even two) at Berkshire East at some point, so looking forward   to meeting up with you.  I'll warn you ahead of time, however, that my skiing may make your eyes hurt.

However, as part of my mod responsibilities, I need to inform you that such a blatant Berkshire East advertisement as your post requires a paid advertising check in the amount of $135 be forwarded to the Virginia headquarters of PeakSkierZone.   :D
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 07:48:35 am »
Jim, You will find me to be the most non-technique judgmental ski companion  you've ever met.  And in truth, I am sure you ski very well.  Or, well enough for me!  Trust me, I ain't the ski guide or the skier that Heluva is.

Hey, I really am just a fan of Berkshire East...I don't get paid to sing it's praises (though, I'm open to the idea should it ever be offered!  ;D )

Please, just give me a heads up and I'll make every effort to meet you on the slopes.

Liam

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 08:39:11 am »
Jim, You will find me to be the most non-technique judgmental ski companion you've ever met. 

Liam
Liam:  Well, considering that my current "ski companion" is pretty technique judgmental we'll look forward to a day at the 'Beast and hope for some easy tree skiing.
 ;)   Can't wait until she sees this.  ::)

It would be fun to make it same time as LivingProof, but Lynn doesn't have any flexibility in her schedule, has to request vacation days months in advance.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 04:00:37 pm »
Hey Liam - did you finally get a day buckled into your new Kryptons? Report please!  ;D

Great to hear that you finally got some snow.  Same story all over eastern NA, it seems, including here in southern Ontario.  Nice to finally have winter settling in here.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:04:03 pm by Svend »

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 07:18:40 pm »
I can vouch for Liam's low standards in ski companions.  He even skied with me once!

I'll be curious to see how Berkshire East is skiing this weekend.  I'm thinking about heading up Sunday. :)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:35:05 pm »
Dan:
I've seen you ski as well.
You under rate yourself if you are putting yourself in my category.
But I enjoy the heck out of skiing none the less.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 06:26:03 am »
Guys, I already told you I know you all ski well.

Dan, I will be there on Sunday (but it is one of my actual patrol days--I can't free ski the whole day...but I can certainly take a few runs with you,!!)  Pop into the Patrol House (you'll pass it as you walk up from the parking lot) and ask for me...someone will radio me.  You can ask any patroller you see--they'll all radio me, we're a pretty friendly group.

Svend-I have 4 days in the Kryptons...I will post up in another thread.  I like them. 

Jim, you're right, Dan does underrate his skiing-the day I skied with him was a slush/powder day at Magic a few years ago (about 9 inches of 'almost rain' snow).  He skied  the lift lines and the other tricky spots (which is most of magic) just fine.   Magic is no joke, and I thought Dan was a good skier.

You know, I did two runs on Thursday with my young ripper buddies who showed up for the powder day...They ski so f-ing fast I just can't hang with them, I ski all the same terrain, I can make nice turns in the crud bumps and trees, but they just attack that stuff and don't slow down until they hit the lifts again.  I only see the backs of them at a distance for most of the runs.  Those guys are fun to ski with, and inspiring, but I can't do it for very long.

I spent most of my time skiing with my fellow patrol buddies and their families, we ski about half a run (as well as each one can) regroup, chat, and roll out again.  I ski pretty well when that's the pace--and truthfully, that's how I like to ski these days: Challenging terrain at medium pace  taking time to savor the mountain and not obliterate it!   In these groups, I am often one of the stronger skiers, but rarely the strongest-and skiers of very diverse abilities all seem to have a good time when we ski this way.

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 10:05:10 am »
So much for my plan.  My family just rescheduled today's big extended-family Christmas shindig to tomorrow over concerns about the forecast.

It looks like I'll have to ask somebody to radio you some other day, Liam.  Sorry about that!

(as I grumble about last-minute schedule changes killing two ski days instead of one..)

GreenTrails

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 12:11:54 pm »
NO fibbing, the past few days have been money at the B'East.  filmed by a couple of the young hot shots Liam mentioned :-)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 02:41:56 pm »
NO fibbing, the past few days have been money at the B'East.  filmed by a couple of the young hot shots Liam mentioned :-)

Wow!  Nice find GreenTrail...that is a really good visual of the off-piste skiing at our little massachusetts mountain!!!   Andrew would make his dad proud.   GT and I skied all of those same runs (a few with those young guns)...but not quite as fast, and somehow, we always seem to miss the big bucks  ;D).

Today things started getting a little lean and we're back in regular (which is still good) winter conditions with great snowmaking weather in front of us (but alas, no storms on the immediate horizon!).

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 08:54:10 am »
Well, we've migrated from pow days to Spring skiing this weekend.   The surfaces should be delightful, especially on Sunday if anyone is in the 'hood and wants to sample our little mountain of excellence.  Seriously, I'll be there all day tomorrow if anyone makes it out to ski (30 dollars less than any VT place, closer and no crowds...just saying).