Author Topic: Ejected 112  (Read 1857 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: Ejected 112
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 08:51:13 pm »

JB...truly sucks when the ski is just screwed up from the factory...man...200 passes...hmmm...are they now adoring a wall in your man cave?

Yes sitting on a rack in my garage gathering dust. I would sell them but I like to have people ski them and tell me how bad they think they suck. Having said that Jim loves his and obviously Peter Keelty thinks they are the years best skis twice, so what do I know. Still, I have yet to have anyone try them that likes them.

And this is why there are 30+ different ski companies making 100's of different skis. To each his own!

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 10:12:08 pm »
Gary - you skied the Wailer 112RP skis way too short.  The 178 shouldn't even be produced.  I'm 5' 7" 175# and ski the 190 and I wish they made it even longer.  Glad to hear you've found a "new love", but please understand that in the future you need to go a lot longer on a heavily rockered ski like the 112RP.

Regarding the Sacrifice - I skied them last season at Mt. Rose in deep soft snow and moguls.  I really enjoyed them, but I like turny skis.  Heavier skiers or those that are more into charging and straight-lining need not apply.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 06:07:58 am »
Jim, you gotta cut Gary some slack here.  He is an eternal optimist, and this has clearly informed his ski choices of late.  Powder dreams dance in his head, and he is ever hopeful of that magic day when 36 inches of light Rocky Mountain powder will grace his life.  Can't fault him for that, eh?  Reality, however is another matter entirely, and here's hoping he has found the ski that will take him all over the big mountain with only a smile, whatever the snow gods deliver.  As for Alice, she is an angel....'nuff said....  :D
Epic's got it right, we all dream of having that great ski on a great western powder day, but,

Cut Gary some slack, Ha!, Ha! Ha!

I seem to remember a love affair with Icelantic Shamon's in Jackson, then,
Three years ago, it was a Rossi S3. Greatest ski ever in light Utah powder
Only to be replaced the next season with JJ's. He raved about them at Bristol, where they had to be the widest skis on the mountain of ice.
Then the yellow skis, that is the skis actually painted yellow as opposed to yellow snow on them, I heard raves for 2 days about how great they were at Hollimont, but, he had forgotten the Jackson crud experience.
And now, the new love of his life, the Rev 105.
He secretly planning how to replace them next season!

Here's to you G! :D  Bring a CD with Sinatra's "My Way" to this years trip, that's gotta be your theme song.

"The difference between men and boys
Is the cost of their toys!"

And, btw, did G ever tell us the DPS's were yellow?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:28:27 am by LivingProof »

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 07:25:07 am »
You go Gary...I am envious...the Ms. and I were driving by one of the few stores that sell skis down here and she said "there's that ski place". I said, "I know I can't look".

Hugh?

"A drive by look costs $100, way more if I actually go in".. ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 11:27:55 am »
HA...you're right on...I always felt the ski was to short but was hesitant....I heard from Ron who told me to go longer but...just couldn't make myself go there. In any event, I still have to say, I must be a semi traditional guy. I like early rise or rocker in the shovels but prefer a twin tip tail or traditional tail.  I can tell you if I lived in a pow rich region, I'd own a pair of DPS and yes Mike...quite yellow... they truly rock in pow conditions...oh yeah...they'd be longer. Thanks HA!

Now Mike....it's was the Icelantic Pilgrims which were a super fun 90 underfoot twin....my first move to the wider ski and a 2 quiver stable. Yes the rest was an evolution in gear as well as "save the economy" single handed!  :o
AND Mike....it's always been my way with a little influence from all those here, and most of the blame on Ron cause he insisited I try all of his skis....bad Ron....bad Ron....! ;) Even those very special yellow tipped skis he let me borrow!  ::)

But with each new ski I found things I liked and did not like about each of the skis bringing me to the Rev's. This is as turny, more solid on edge, more stable, and skis more traditional than the DPS....will it be my final destination...don't know but as long as the body and wallet are able and my wife still understands me...I find getting it right makes the day on the snow that much more sweet.

It's funny, as I hung up the Rev's in my shop yesterday, I said, I hope to get  you into conditions that you deserve. (yes I know talking to my skis is well...a sign) Well I just loaded the Rev's into the car cause we're heading to Holiday Valley to ski on the 1st.....and.....I also put in the MX78's and Fx84's...you know.....I've got to keep my eye on that "humidity"!

Fortunately, the prvious gear I've purchased has been sold so the inventory seems to move pretty good with only having to absorb the  "re-stocking" fees....yeah...that, I can handle.

Best, G
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:36:16 am by Gary »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 06:08:18 pm »
I actually agree with Svend on all three counts.

And I think the Rev 105 may well be THE ski you've been looking for.
But that's not enough to keep me from taking a few cheap shots.   :o

I will say that I am really liking my Peak 84'a for the one day I've skied them so far.

Hey Jim, glad you're liking the Peaks.  I skied them for a day this past spring, and was really impressed.  Amazingly smooth at speed. 

Actually, it just occurred to me that you've had almost as much of a quiver change as Gary.  Head Magnum....Watea 84....Ski Logic....Progressor 800....Peak 84....did I forget one or two pairs?  ::)  Pot calling the kettle black, ole Jimmy-boy?  ;D

How about writing a review or two on some of the newest ones....?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 06:45:03 pm »
Hey Jim, glad you're liking the Peaks.  I skied them for a day this past spring, and was really impressed.  Amazingly smooth at speed. 

Actually, it just occurred to me that you've had almost as much of a quiver change as Gary.  Head Magnum....Watea 84....Ski Logic....Progressor 800....Peak 84....did I forget one or two pairs?  ::)  Pot calling the kettle black, ole Jimmy-boy?  ;D

ROTFLMAO!

True, so true. Don't hold your breath on the reviews. Jim feels that his review skills are too modest.
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 07:51:13 pm »
yeah Jimmy boy.... 8)

What's in your kettle eh....?

It should be noted...Svend does not forget a thing....I know....he remembers everything...chrono lgocially! 

Ok Jim....we're just gonna chalk this up to evolution!

Best, G

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 08:40:29 pm »
Wait.  You guys get rid of skis, too??  I thought the idea was just to continually add more..  :D

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 08:55:47 pm »
Exactly Dan
Eventually, I'll have enough of my old skis (and Jims) to build a ski fence around the house!
I ALWAYS wanted one of those.
Along with a season worth of lessons from the Tai chi waist steering  school of skiing.. :o
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:29:16 pm by midwif »
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2013, 09:10:31 pm »

If I write a review and say I like it, then I get in "Gary trouble" if I find I don't care for it.

Peak 84. Bought in August cause Phil had a great deal. Had demoed the year before in a 170, really liked it. Only one day, but seems to do all things pretty well. I like the overall feel better than my iM78's, but that is me and not necessarily the skis.

Progressor 8.  Bought last spring, post season, cheap (see the pattern?). I felt like my Super Shape Magnums had lost their camber and were no longer skiing well.  They feel really versatile, and are my primary east coast ski. Soft enough to bend at slow speeds, but still holds an edge when skied faster. I like the turn initiation from the dual radius sidecut, and its getting hard to find "easy" narrow waisted (74mm) skis.

Ski Logik Ullr's Chariots. I still like this ski for an all around day when there has been 10 inches or more of snow. Haven't skied it since the 10-11 season, since I didn't cross paths with powder last year.  Besides, they're dam pretty and have my moniker on the tail. 
Watea 84. Retired for the Peak 84. I missed the local ski swaps this year, but will be able to sell it for at least 1/2 of the cost of it's replacement. (thanks Phil).

One pair per year for the past three years, all used for more than one year?
Progressor-Peak84 is east coast quiver.
Peak 84-UC is western quiver.

I am sure that there are better skis in all three of these categories than the ones I have, but I don't need perfect skis.  I'm OK with pretty good skis at great deals.
Oh, and making sure Lynn has an equally matched quiver.
J
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:18:47 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2013, 09:29:40 pm »
Lynn, you were right.  Jim writes ski reviews with great brevity  ;D 

JR -- I didn't think you'd actually take the bait and write a review.  Good on ya, matey!  ;)

Cheers, and Happy New Year to you all!

Svend

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 12:24:13 pm »
Jim....see it wasn't the hard to tell all that you too are "a gear ****:o

Not get busy on that fence Lynn is looking to build!

SO>.....can you mention whether you're craving to demo any other skis out there...fess up big boy...the ridicule only hurts for a minute and we know you'll survive the shame....only to be beaten down by the sarcasm and humiliation. Ah yes....the life of a ski tester/buyer/horder! We have such a larger club!

Best, g

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 01:06:04 pm »
Nope, no gear or ski needs or wishes for me.  Lynn?? Maybe.

She has a pretty complete quiver, including some lovely Ski Logik's with JR created graphics for last years Christmas gift (see below).  She may have some thoughts about skis, but in general prefers the form of yet another sharp looking ski jacket to the function of yet another pair of skis?

Ski Logik Isis (90 waist)
Fischer Muanga (84 waist)
Progressor 8 (72 waist)
Head Everythang (72 waist)
Head iC 160 (66 waist)
Head iC 160w (womens version, 64 waist).
6 cable binding wooden skis, two of which I hung on the bathroom wall for her.

[old attachment deleted - file maintenance]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:16:32 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 03:51:33 pm »
Hey Jim, nice little quiver you've got there.  Lynn too.   8)  Glad you're liking the Progressors.  Now that my wife has her new iM78's and doesn't seem to want to ski anything else at present, our 14 year old daughter has "assimilated" Mom's P-8's and has created her own quiver, and is darn proud of it too.  She has graciously granted Mom borrowing rights on days when she isn't using them....like when she's at school.   ::)  She's skied them 4 times so far, and you couldn't wipe the grin off her face.  Her first experience with a frontside performance carver, after skiing the Maunga twins for the past few years, and she just loves the quickness and agility....and the speed! WooHoo!!!