Author Topic: Whistler Info Please?  (Read 840 times)

byronm

• 100 Posts
Whistler Info Please?
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:33:36 pm »
Hi Folks,
Youngins and I have our sights set on Whistler this spring...perhaps around march or so. I was wondering if anyone has any pointers, inside scoop, does and don'ts for skiing, travel, lodging,  etc. Hoping for the best bang for the buck and overall best experience.
Thx in advance........

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Whistler Info Please?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 07:06:22 am »
It's been 20+ years since my last visit, I've a ton of great memories from 3 trips. Travel from the east coast made for some of the longest days of my life, as, we did weird flights to get cheap airfare. Bring plenty of Gore-Tex clothing as it's only a few miles from the Pacific. My trips were in January and it did rain on the lower portion on the mountain.

A friend had a condo that was not located in the village area, so, we rented a car for the week and had a very short commute each day to the lifts. While economical, staying someplace near the lifts is much better. Sorry that I can't provide any more specifics as Whilster/Blackombe has grown so much since that time.

Enjoy Canadian beer, much bigger kick than the stuff we drink south of the border.

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:48:25 am »
Thx LP...good advice. Will definately be a different environment than what we are used to and certainly the largest resort we will have ever skied.

I thought if we started shopping around now we might be able to find a rentable condo/unused timeshare or travel package etc. that would make the venture a bit cheaper. And of course, the more informed one is about the area, the easier/smoother everything seems to go. Funny, we havn't even started the season yet but are already salavating over the trip.

I am still healing from some surgery on my leg but started experimenting with different methods to pad my shin as the wound is right where my boot tongue would make contact and take turn pressure. Anyone with thoughts on that process would be welcome also. Now, how it might impact my overall skiing is a whole seperate issue.

The upside is that I will have a viable alibi for sub par skiing...and I plan on using it effectively this year of course along with the new gold standard, "it was the best technique I had available at the time"..... ;D
Cheers.....

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:50:35 am by byronm »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:25:48 am »
Byron:
Gary will probably chime in at some point, he has a friend that has/had a place at Whistler and has skied up there a number of times.  We stayed in the village and could walk the two blocks to the lift each morning. Pay attention to the weather, because the weather at different altitudes can be a lot different.  There is a recent peak to peak gondola, unless you have a problem with heights I think that would be a great ride (it wasn't built yet when I was there).

The drive from Vancouver to Whistler is just plain beautiful. I assume that there are bus and train options from Vancouver as well, but we were driving up from Seattle. Depending on how you feel about drives, flying into Seattle and driving up might be an option.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:21:20 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:33:01 am »
Byronn, sorry to hear about your leg surgery...other than shin padding, the only though I'd have...don't get into any chopped up or hard icy snow conditions...cause for sure that's when more pressure is used to drive the shovels.

Also, try and feel like your skiing more upright with only slight fore and aft movements...so when standing in your boots, in your ski stance, arms held out as if holding your poles, make sure you feel very centered in your boot. Equal pressure on the shin and rear cuff of the boot...feeling like your stacked straight up and down above your arch.

As for Whistler....just don't go when temps warm up in March...cause rain, fog and sleet may be ever present. The skiing experience is fantastic in good conditions. The tram goes from mountain to mountain...just fantastic views. No car is needed...take the bus up, find accomodations within walking distance of the gondola and all will be great.

Wishing you quick healing and a great ski season...G

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 10:14:44 am »
The drive from Vancouver to Whistler is just plain beautiful. I assume that there are bus and train options from Vancouver as well, but we were driving up from Seattle. Depending on how you feel about drives, flying into Seattle  and driving up might be an option.

Back in the day, my ski buds and I found this great airfare from Newark to Seattle. Heavy rain to and fro Whistler, plus, getting through customs at the border was a PITA. I presume you will check the price difference for flights, but, going to Vancouver is much easier.

The road from Vancouver to Whistler is called the Sea to Sky Highway and it is a very worthy drive. It is strange to be able to view the Pacific when only 20 miles from the mountain. It was also strange to see Vancouver, which is roughly the same latitude as Montreal, appear so green and warm in January.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 05:43:33 pm »
I just returned from a business trip to Vancouver last week, and yes, it was raining.  It rains there pretty much all winter.  Maybe one week of snowfall every year.  But Whistler is a different story altogether, so don't let that deter you from going.  I have never skied there, but I hear that if it's raining in the village, that usually means it's snowing up on the slopes.  Being coastal, there are many micro-climates in the area, and you can experience three different weather conditions in the same run some days.

As for conditions in March, it all depends on the year they are having.  Last season they had phenomenal snow right through the end on March and into April.  Being another La Nina year, I would check the predictions to see if they are expecting the same for March/2013. 

Some travel tips:

-- definitely fly into Vancouver; it's a nice modern airport, and there are shuttles that will take you up the coast to Whistler, so you don't need a rental car (unless you want to explore on your own, but then you could rent for a day or two right in Whistler).

-- depending on where you're flying from (eastern US, I think), if you fly to Vancouver and need to make a flight connection, DO NOT take a flight that connects in Canada somewhere, as your baggage will not be checked through to Vancouver; you will have to retrieve your luggage at the connecting airport, clear Customs, recheck your luggage, then catch the next flight....a pain in the rear. Get a connection in Chicago or Denver or somewhere like that, that will take you directly from the US into Vancouver so you avoid all that.  Gary can verify -- he once left his skis behind in Toronto and had to ski some poorly-tuned, too-long, too-stiff loaners from a friend until his arrived days later  ::))

-- expect to rent powder skis, so scope out the rental shops before you go, and reserve a day or two ahead if the forecast is looking good; there are lots of really good rental shops in the village, with no shortage of high-end skis on offer.

Let us know if this pans out. 

Enjoy Canadian beer, much bigger kick than the stuff we drink south of the border.

Mike -- some of the best beer I have ever tasted has been from the multitude of micro-breweries in the US.  The quality and variety down there are just fantastic, and to my mind, some of them are the equal of what the centuries-old European brewers are making.  The Canadian micro-brew scene is slowly catching up and finally making some good products.  But we still have no equivalent to say, an Ommegang or New Belgium, for instance, and some of the IPA's and American Pale Ales I have had south of the border have been outstanding, with nothing like it to be found here.  However, you are correct in that the average mainstream Canadian beer (Labatts, Molson, Moosehead...) has a fuller flavour than the American equivalent (Bud, Coors, Miller...).  The latter taste like dishwater to me, but a pint of Molson or Labatts is only slightly better to my palate.  :P

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:48:05 pm by Svend »

smackboy1

• 1 Year Member
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 06:41:37 pm »
Took the family out to W-B and Vancouver last X'mas for the first time. Here are my $0.02:

Agree with whomever said to avoid a stop over flight inside Canada. We connected through Toronto to save some $ and almost missed our return flight due to delays. Having to pick up your luggage and go through US customs in the connecting city is a huge PITA.

Depending on your trip you can avoid car rental. It's a 2 hour shuttle from the airport to W-B and if you stay within  W-B you don't need a car. Parking your rental car can get pricey. If you stay in the pedestrian village you don't even need to take a bus. Pretty much everything you need can be bought in the village (there are 2 supermarkets). If you go to Vancouver, you can get around via public transport or taxis.

It's most expensive to stay in Whistler Village. It's slightly less expensive and just as convenient walking to stay in the Village North. We stayed at the Delta which is just over the pedestrian bridge which connects the two areas.

You can rent a variety of gear from W-B and if you do it's complimentary overnight storage near the lifts. Otherwise you can pay for storage.

If you want ski demos or boots or whatever check out Fanatyk Co in the Village. They carry Head and Kastle skis and Fischer vacuum fit system and lots of brands.

That's all I can remember for now.
I'm not a ski instructor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

smackboy1

• 1 Year Member
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 11:48:18 pm »
W-B is the Pacific Northwest. It's like a tropical rainforest. It can rain/snow a lot. When we were there it snowed/rained the whole time. When it rains in the Village it's snowing at the summit. The snow can be heavy and wet, similar to the Sierra cement you find in Tahoe. It's like skiing through mashed potatoes. Dress for rain.

W-B is an international destination and draws people from all over the world. Everybody is super friendly, especially the Aussies and Kiwis who seem to make up the bulk of the hired help.

Go get a beavers tail. It's some kind of Canadian version of a waffle. It must be a 10,000 calorie bomb.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 07:19:16 am »

Mike -- some of the best beer I have ever tasted has been from the multitude of micro-breweries in the US.  The quality and variety down there are just fantastic, and to my mind, some of them are the equal of what the centuries-old European brewers are making.  The Canadian micro-brew scene is slowly catching up and finally making some good products.  But we still have no equivalent to say, an Ommegang or New Belgium, for instance, and some of the IPA's and American Pale Ales I have had south of the border have been outstanding, with nothing like it to be found here.  However, you are correct in that the average mainstream Canadian beer (Labatts, Molson, Moosehead...) has a fuller flavour than the American equivalent (Bud, Coors, Miller...).  The latter taste like dishwater to me, but a pint of Molson or Labatts is only slightly better to my palate.  :P

Svend,

My Canadian beer reference was to the increased alcohol content north of the border. We were constantly chided in the bars there about weak Americian beers.

But, you are correct in your reviews of the micro brewery movement in the USA. I'll load up some good IPA for Gary's annual trip to Holiday Valley. You, my friend, may supply some good Canadian rye that was greatly missed by those in attendance last year.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 07:50:55 am »
Svend,

My Canadian beer reference was to the increased alcohol content north of the border. We were constantly chided in the bars there about weak Americian beers.

But, you are correct in your reviews of the micro brewery movement in the USA. I'll load up some good IPA for Gary's annual trip to Holiday Valley. You, my friend, may supply some good Canadian rye that was greatly missed by those in attendance last year.

Deal! There are some small distillers making really excellent Canadian rye.  A couple here in Ontario, and at least one in Alberta.  Not sure how much I can smuggle across the border without risking arrest, but I'll see what I can do.  As for US microbrews, you are living in a great spot there in PA, my friend.  I visited Philly a few years back and had some Stoudts Pale Ale -- wonderful stuff.  Had some other local brews, whose names I can't recall, which were also excellent.  Bring it on!

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 11:05:23 pm »
First of all...thx folks for excellent insight and info.

Thoughts on piece milling lodging, lift, transportation, etc vs packages such as stay and ski (IN THE END) after all the little hidden vicarious expenses?

A kichenette. distance from village not an issue as long as there is some transportation available would be ideal. We find  dining out becomes a major expense, and quite frankly, at some point after a steady diet of lodge/restaraunt food, throwing a can of pork&beans in a pot with some hotdogs becomes pretty gourmet for me..

I could find a shuttle schedule from VC....but be darned if I can find a to and fro cost.

Aside from hotel provided shuttles, options from areas outside walking distance from the village?

Noted Smacks comment on courtesy storage near lifts from rental...Is storage suitable for overnight dry/warm boot friendly? Some of our group won't be renters, is the storage fee a cost significant enough to warrant consideration?

We try and stay away from weekends and holidays most everytime we go....skiing during the week and off holiday usually nets less crowds, better snow real estate...at times better rates...is this the case at w/bc?

Doesnt seem to be much difference on weekday hotel rates...maybe I havent run across the right link yet.

Great tip on connecting flights Svend, I will definately try a go phx-vc direct even if it costs a bit more.

Based on the comments regarding march skiing...(we are considering the first week) it seems that's when the prices seem to go down some, presumably because of the "risk" of less than ideal conditions?

Gary, appreciate the ski thoughts...I am swinging a golf club again without the torque on my left leg being unbearable....Direc t pressure to the area?..., I still have a ways to go on that. I watched a vid somewhere in cyberville where an instructor fella demonstrated a warm up run technique leaving upper buckles completely loose to get a good center for the day...that may be my "whole day" routine... :) Optimistic tho, healing nicely. Providing they don't have to carve out any more..I may be goodly by then.

Thx again folks.............. .............
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:38:56 pm by byronm »

smackboy1

• 1 Year Member
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 08:49:51 am »
We used Pacific Coach Lines which has a counter right in the airport next to the food court. The coach also picks up and drops off in downtown Vancouver.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/reservations/Whistler-Airport-Transfers/mg_129/v_3546/Pacific-Coach-Lines.detail

Cooking will save you some $. IMHO most restaurants were good, but rather ordinary for the most part and at resort prices.

IIRC the boot storage is indoors in the basement of Carleton Lodge (at the base of the main Whistler and Blackcomb lifts).  Can't remember the cost.

Here is some good information by Tony Crocker about Spring Break skiing:

http://173.193.223.192/~bestsnow/late01.htm

http://173.193.223.192/~bestsnow/fam_ski.htm

We booked a package through W-B but another option for finding lodging is through:

http://www.alluradirect.com/

http://www.vrbo.com

pbuddingh

• <100 Posts
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 05:04:12 pm »
Just returned to Vancouver from a few days of skiing WB. Today was 8 inches of NW powder. Big flakes coming down.

Best time bar none is March onward in my opinion. Great snow, no lift lines, long days, yes you can get rain, but that's true for any time of year. spring is drier than winter months. Today it was raining in the village and blizzard like above 1500 meters. We often ski until late May. Rule of thumb <7 C in Vancouver and rain (sea-level), usually dumping above 1000 meters.

You can also ski at the 3 'little" mountains around Vancouver, we usually use them for night skiing - 30 min from downtown.

Accommodations I can't help you with, depends although there are some savings if you look around, don't mind a 30 minute commute and have a car. I put my son on the bus two nights ago, $25 one way W-Van.

They also charge parking in most of the lots since the 2010 Olympics.

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 08:16:39 pm »
thanks all for sharing your thoughts and experience....great information!!!