Author Topic: Knee pain from cycling  (Read 649 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Knee pain from cycling
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:17:00 pm »
Perhaps someone can help me with this one...

Since I started riding this spring, my knees have been hurting.  Initially it was just for a day or two following a ride; and now it lasts longer....sometimes 3 or 4 days.  My bike is set up exactly the same as it was when I left it last autumn, so no changes there.  Although, I have recently started tweaking a few things to see if I can solve this -- moved the seat back about an inch; raised the seat 1/2 to 3/4 inch for long flat rides -- nothing has worked.

I am really wondering what is causing this.  Seat position still off? Crank length too short? Pedal cleat alignment, forcing my legs into an unnatural position? Or is it just a matter of too many miles too soon in the season, without a "break-in" period?

I have never had knee pain from anything, not even skiing.  Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:27:56 pm by Svend »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Knee pain from cycling
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:00:09 pm »

I think I said this wrong on an earlier post, but something I was reading recently said that when the pedals are horizontal, the lower leg above the pedal that is forward is vertical, and that if you are having knee pain (sort of under the kneecap) its because of those bad angles.

Raise your seat more or slide the seat farther back (or longer cranks).
One option, but do some "googling" of symptoms and see what comes back.

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:28:08 pm »
Hmmm, longer cranks?
Are you guys sure?

I've heard longer cranks, more torque on knees.
Not  knowledgeable enough argue about it though.

Svend,
where is the pain?

Inside/outside of knees?
On edge of knee caps?

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:51:36 pm »

I don't imagine anyone is going to actually change the cranks on their bicycles, but larger frames typically have longer cranks and will sometimes have a greater seat tube angle -- aimed at reducing the knee angles.

The link below is a pretty good sounding article.  Given that the bike setup is static from last year, I would vote for putting too much muscle into pedaling by pushing too high gears.  Increase the cadence.  New shoes or pedals?

http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:57:51 am by jim-ratliff »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 03:25:15 pm »
OK - checked out the crank length, and they seem to be as long as they come -- 175mm.  I don't think I can or want to change that.  The smaller frames for that bike came with 170mm cranks, so mine seem OK.

Hmmm, longer cranks?
Are you guys sure?

Right on, Lynn.  Jim's article link confirms that -- too long a crank = knee pain.  I thought it was the opposite...wrong.  But I don't suspect that is the problem.

Svend,
where is the pain?

Inside/outside of knees?
On edge of knee caps?

The pain is around the knee caps.  Not serious, but quite uncomfortable, and something I want to sort out before it gets debilitating and messes up my cycling and next ski season.

In reading that article (good one, BTW -- thanks Jim!) there are a couple of things discussed that I want to check out that may be at the root of this:

1) Check my knee orientation to pedal when in the 3:00 position; move seat back if needed;

2) Check my cleat orientation and how they position my feet fore-aft on the pedals, as well as lateral alignment; reposition cleats as needed (I will check Terryl's too, now that I have heightened awareness  8) ).  I know that my cleats are positioned rather far back on my shoes, and this may not be good.

I'll let you know what I find.....

I think I might have overdone it in the first couple of weeks, actually.  Too far, too soon, low cadence, pushing high gears.  Just too fired up to get back out on the trails, I guess.

Thanks for the help. You're the best!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:30:09 pm by Svend »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 03:28:42 pm »

My guess in bold.   ;)

In reading that article (good one, BTW -- thanks Jim!) there are a couple of things I want to try that may be at the root of this:

1) Check my knee orientation to pedal when in the 3:00 position; move seat back if needed;

2) Check my cleat orientation and how they position my feet fore-aft on the pedals, as well as lateral alignment; reposition cleats as needed (I will check Terryl's too, now that I have heightened awareness  8) ).  I know that my cleats are positioned rather far back on my shoes, and this may not be good.

I think I might have overdone it in the first couple of weeks.  Too far, too soon, low cadence, pushing high gears.

Thanks for the help. You're the best!

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 06:46:39 am »
Jim and you pretty much nailed it. to far, too soon at low of a cadence.

Crank lenght discusses. IF you guys read Leanord Zinn at all he found that most people would make more power with longer cranks as long your fit was no compromise. The problem is with most thing though we run shorter crank arms for clearance issue both with the frame, our body and and the ground. Shorter cranks will solve knee problem some of the time but I would first address your fit and riding styles before sacrificial power to get ride of pain.

The other thing I can add is standing every once in a while while climbing will take some of the stress of your knees. ...and dont become a cycling only athlete IE hike/jog/swim play basketball elect whatever to stop over use from cycling injuries. 

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 09:10:55 am »
Svend,

Are you on a road bike or a 29'er, and, how long do you ride? Are you climbing?

I, too, am thinking you are going too hard/too long/too soon. Early in the season, I limit riding to an hour with no knee stress and it takes a while for my knees to acclimate. I've never had knee issues other than some minor tweaks. I returned from Colorado this season with some minor discomfort and cycling actually helped strengthen the knee. Just ride in easy gears and spin more. I use Harb's foot pull-back thought in the bottom half of my cycle to reduce the push-only power stroke used by untrained riders.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:47:10 pm »
Svend:

FWIW, I've been having the same intermittent issues this spring, but only my right knee. Decided in my case that it was trying to do intervals of hard pedaling too frequently, usually by consciously selecting too high a gear when going uphill.  The goal was to build a bit of strength.

I also found that it is better to make sure I am warmed up before beginning to pedal harder, but I have now stopped most of that to give my knees and tendons a rest from the muscling. Back to higher cadence.  FWIW, Lynn says it takes much longer for tendons and bones to grow than muscles.

Still tring to catch up with Lynn in her hill country.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:29:07 pm by jim-ratliff »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:18:31 pm »
Sorry for the late reply folks.  I wanted to make some tweaks to the bike and get a solid ride in tonight before posting back.

But first some responses to some comments:

Are you on a road bike or a 29'er, and, how long do you ride? Are you climbing?

I, too, am thinking you are going too hard/too long/too soon. Early in the season, I limit riding to an hour with no knee stress and it takes a while for my knees to acclimate. I've never had knee issues other than some minor tweaks. I returned from Colorado this season with some minor discomfort and cycling actually helped strengthen the knee. Just ride in easy gears and spin more. I use Harb's foot pull-back thought in the bottom half of my cycle to reduce the push-only power stroke used by untrained riders.

Mike, I only have a 29er....no road bike (yet).  The riding this spring has been a mix of flat hard packed gravel rail trail, upon which I have been doing about 20 to 30 km per ride; as well as trails in the woods, which is pretty much constantly up and down hills....some long, gradual; some short, steep.  As for the pull on the upstroke, that is slowly getting burned into my cranium and becoming instinct.  Just like some ski moves don't come instinctively to me yet, neither has this way of pedaling.  I'll get there......  ???

...and dont become a cycling only athlete IE hike/jog/swim play basketball elect whatever to stop over use from cycling injuries. 

BW -- yeah, I gotta do something different every now and then.  It's just that mountain biking is so darn fun  ;D  But, good advice.

OK, so I made some adjustments pre-ride and on-trail, and hit the flat rail trail tonight for an easy, no stress on the knees, one hour ride....about 25 km or so.  Here are the changes:

1) Lowered seat about 3/4 inch = good move; smoother pedaling; no more hip wobble; better tracking of front wheel (more stable steering) due to more balanced pedaling, less bike weave.

2) Moved seat back ~1 inch = good move; knees now just slightly forward of pedal axle; far more power; smoother pedaling; really noticeable reduction in stress on the knees.

3) Inclined seat more forward (just a titch) = good move; body weight sits more on pelvic bones, rather than soft tissue; allows hips to move more freely; smoother pedaling.

(FYI: I didn't do these all at once, but made one change after another, with about 20 min. riding in between, to see what the effect of each change was).

Finally, I checked this after the ride, and adjusted (won't know the effect until my next ride):
4) Moved shoe cleats to place foot further back on the pedal, so that ball of foot is directly over pedal axle; and moved cleats so that feet are more outboard.  Hope this helps too....    BTW, lateral alignment (toe-in / toe-out) was good.

So, it seems that the pain was perhaps caused by a combination of two factors:  some alignment/fit problems; and, as you all confirm, doing too much/too soon/too fast/ low cadence, plus stressing the knees on the hill climbs in too high a gear.  Yes Jim, I've done the same as you, thinking I was doing my body a favour, building strength and getting more exercise. 

It'll probably take some time for the inflammation to subside (hopefully not too long).  Time for a break from the bike, and play some soccer and football with the kids.    :)

Thanks all, for your advice.  Much appreciated! It's been a great help.

Cheers....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:04:04 am by Svend »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 08:30:00 pm »
I've done the same as you, thinking I was doing my body a favour, building strength and getting more exercise.  It'll probably take some time for the inflammation to subside (hopefully not too long). Time to play some soccer and football with the kids.    :)

Thanks all, for your advice.  Much appreciated! It's been a great help.

Cheers....

Think the two I's.

-ICE
-Ibuprofen. :D

I recommend icing knees for 15 minutes after each ride. Ibuprofen after harder rides.

I too have sore knee caps at the beginning  of each riding season. Where the muscles attach to the knee cap on the top and bottom of my knee cap is where I feel it. I focus on lower resistance, higherturn over.

And despite what Jim says, I ain't much of a hill climber. I'm just persistent. Willing to go really, really slow and accept lactic acidosis. :'(

L.
"Play it Sam"

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 08:56:10 pm »
Think the two I's.

-ICE
-Ibuprofen. :D

I recommend icing knees for 15 minutes after each ride. Ibuprofen after harder rides.

How about Scotch? Single malt.  I will gladly self-prescribe! It relaxes my facial muscles nicely, so should do wonders for my sore knees  ;D

I too have sore knee caps at the beginning  of each riding season. Where the muscles attach to the knee cap on the top and bottom of my knee cap is where I feel it. I focus on lower resistance, higherturn over.

Same place that mine hurt.  Hope it doesn't become chronic.  But will definitely take it easy on the high gears / low cadence thing.

Weird thing, this.....I can ski for 5, 6, 7 days straight, 4 to 6 hours a day, and not feel a twitch of pain in my knees.  But get on my bike a couple times, and Whammo.  But, then, if I actually bent my knees when I skied, I might actually feel something there  :D

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:19:51 am by Svend »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:18:47 am »
I returned from Colorado this season with some minor discomfort and cycling actually helped strengthen the knee.

Mike -- cycling can be a remarkable healer, you're right.  It has helped both my wife and 12 year old daughter recover from surgery and injury.  After knee surgery to remove a damaged meniscus, my wife was ordered by her surgeon to get on her bike within 48 hours of the surgery, and keep doing that every 2 days.  It helped immensely to free up the joint and get the blood flowing.  And recently, our daughter sprained her foot in a soccer game, and cycling helped get her back onto the field in only 3 weeks.  Three times a week, 20 km each, ice cream at the trailside cafe at the halfway point  ;D   It was the perfect low-impact way to get the bones and ligaments moving and speed the healing.  It's just  great sport.  We all love it.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Longer cranks
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 12:46:51 pm »
Hmmm, longer cranks?
Are you guys sure?

Not  knowledgeable enough argue about it though.

Lynn

Thought I would respond to Lynn's message, though I'm not knowledgeable enough to say much other than this.

Torque is twisting force, so crank length won't affect or createu any "twisting force" on the knee (unless your knees really flail around while you pedal).

To go a given speed, it takes less force on the pedal as the crank gets longer.
For a given amount of pedal force, a longer crank will create more twisting force (torque) on the chain rings because torque is the result of force and lever arm.  (1 foot-pound of torgue is a 1 pound weight/force on a 1 foot lever arm.  If you keep the weight/force the same and increase the lever arm to 18", then you have a 50% increase to1.5 foot-pounds of torque).

However, increasing the crank arm also increases the diameter of the circle created by the pedal, with longer downstroke (for longer legs) but also a higher upstroke.  Slightly more forward pedal position but also slightly  more rearward on the back side of the pedal stroke.  A shorter legged person with a long crank will create more torque, but will also increase their range of motion requirements in the knees and hips (and that may be bad for the average person, not sure).

The pedal being forward is good for the knee angles of larger riders, helps get their BOF (Ball of Foot) more forward and under the COM (center of mass of the knee). 

If Lynn puts 75 pounds of force on her 170mm cranks, then she is creating 502 pound-inches of torque.
If Svend puts 75 pounds of force on his pedal with 175 mm cranks, then he creates 517 pound-inches of torque, a 3% increase in torque for a minimal 2.5 mm crank length change.
With a 200mm crank the torque goes up to a whopping 590.5 pound-inches with only the same 75 lbs on the pedal.

The pressure on the knee is the same, but the angle of the pressure on the knee might be different depending on leg length and stuff and that might be a big downside.  Note also, of course, that Lynn doesn't need to create as much torque because she isn't doing as much work since she only has to move 120 lbs compared to me.

FWIW, my Mtn Bike has 175 cranks, my road bike's are 172.5, and the authority that BushWacka referenced uses 203mm cranks (and did so when he raced professionally).   :o

PS.  But there's no "free lunch" in physics, so somewhere the person with the longer crank is still having to do 3% more work, probably in the longer circle that they have to pedal.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:55:19 pm by jim-ratliff »

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 05:53:45 am »
Jim,

I'm not sure I agree that it's as simple as you have described. If a certain torque (measured in foot pounds) is required, then a longer lever ( the crank ) means that less force is required to push on the lever. But, the actual geometry of a pedeling stroke is so complex due to to all the angles involved. I'm thinking that real life experience over the years has led to the present crank arm lengths, and, it just works well to use longer cranks for those with longer or stronger legs.

For the recreational cyclist, we get to pick the gears we ride and control knee stress by picking easier gears ( or at least I do ). Again, it's not simple especially when climbing, as you may need to overstress knees once max'd out on a long climb. Years ago, the training guidelines stated to stay out of big chainrings for the first 1000 miles of the season and learn to spin.

It may be that a roadie has the advantage in controlling knee stress as, unless we climb, there are few times when the knee is overstressed. I know when I train in the winter on paved trails in a park that has many short climbs, I do beat up my knees more than on a road bike, so I think MTN bikers may have higher risk as flat terrain is not common. Perhaps, brute force  is used in place of subtle technique, but, I've no experience in MTN biking. Then again, maybe I'm just trying to work harder in a shorter riding period and the knees pay the price.

But, as usual, I've been proven wrong......many times in my life.