Author Topic: Re: New Approach to Binding Mount position; split from Stockli Laser SX review.  (Read 3274 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
I agree with Svend on his observations for bindings mounted too far back.  For bindings mounted too far forward I would like to add that I feel like the front end of the ski is "overloaded" - it's very difficult to get it to disengage and as Svend noted, the tails easily wash out.  I accidentally did a too far forward mount on a pair of old K2 Enemy skis many years ago and it wasn't a pleasant experience, but what it did show me is that a ski that had absolutely no edge hold to speak of suddenly felt like a scalpel - maybe just a tad too sharp though. ;)

Good observation -- I recently tried moving the bindings forward on my Progressor 9's (to 1.5 cm from factory mark), and by doing so lost all that wonderful Fischer edge grip.  Like skidding sideways on a sheet of Teflon.  Terrible sensation. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:31:55 pm by Svend »

smackboy1

• 1 Year Member
  • <100 Posts
Anybody ski Head Icon TT 80 and have any thoughts on binding position? I'm trying out BoF on CRS (identical to CEE on this ski) which puts the binding about 2.5 cm forward of the factory mark (170 cm ski). It skis mostly fine but I do notice I will lose the tail a bit over ice. If I change the mount to the MSM on the narrowest part of the ski the binding will be even more forward: 3.5 cm forward. I'm wondering if that is the wrong direction to be moving. Or maybe I'm measuring it all wrong.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:57:24 am by smackboy1 »
I'm not a ski instructor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
I'm pretty sure JBotti skis the Icon 80, and I seem to recall that he posted something about binding pos'n for it a couple of years ago.  You might try a search here and see if you can find it.  Or send him a PM, if he doesn't reply to your post first.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
No direct experience with the TT 80, but a more general comment. With Head skis with any of the Railflex bindings I am always 10-15 mm forward of the factory mark.  However, I found on a pair of Head i.SL Chips with the carve plate that, even though BOF/CRS measured similarly, I didn't like the bindings forward as much.  I assumed that the carve plate was doing a better job of pressure distribution than the more flexible Railflex setup?
I am surprised that the narrowest part of the ski is that far forward.

I think Todd (and maybe Dan) have TT 80's as well.  Will be interesting to hear where they have them mounted. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:54:13 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

smackboy1

• 1 Year Member
  • <100 Posts
That's the great thing about the Icon TT 80, it's a great handling responsive ski, and a lot of people own it (and enjoy tweaking). It makes comparing notes easy.

I found these threads which seems to indicate that some people like to ski it either on the factory line or forward +1.5 cm e.g. HH, JBotti, Max501, ToddW seem to all prefer the factory mark.  I'm thinking that I may have overdone it by going +2.5 cm.

http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?t=3641&p=37125

http://pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?t=3721&p=38075
I'm not a ski instructor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
I don't have a pair of TT80's, but I can vouch for Todd's skiing great wherever he's got them mounted.  Well, they ski great as long as you don't have a half-inch of snow caked on the bottoms of your boots...ask me how I know!  ;D

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
High Angles -- just wanted to let you know that I checked one pair of skis here for the existing mounting point and how they measured up according to your method of narrowest sidecut point.  They were one of my wife's skis -- women's im78's -- and her sweet spot on this ski falls about 1 cm forward of the narrowest point in the sidecut.  This is about 1.5 cm ahead of the factory mark.  She originally skied these for a few days at factory mark, then moved fwd. from there one set of holes in the Tyrolia plate.

I must say that trying to actually find the narrowest point in the sidecut was a pain in the rear.  No digital caliper here -- just a sliding micrometer.  There was a zone of about 5 to 8 cm where it seemed to measure the same, and every time I moved the tool back and forth to find the end points, it seemed to end up at a different spot.  Holding it absolutely square was the problem.  I haven't done any more skis, because I am not confident I can find the right mark bang-on.

Any hints? Any further work on this at your end?