Author Topic: Some Basic Thoughts on Good Ski boot Fit  (Read 1999 times)

byronm

• 100 Posts
Re: Some Basic Thoughts on Good Ski boot Fit
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 11:28:11 am »
HighAngles...I have been communicating with Jeremy at the Sport Loft in SLC. He was referred by Peter K last year near the end of last season. From what I can tell, Steve is still at Snowbird. Since I plan to do some skiing prior to bootfitting, no reason I coudn't stop in a chat with him too.

Valid points by all in terms of "real" cost of the journey to a good set up. Thus far, I have about $800 in my journey. $100 for cheap boots before I got re-addicted to skiing. $500 for current boots +$140 in footbeds and at least the balance in gas to and from shopping and services. So true, had I invested that money initially into a professional fitting, I would be far ahead. In a pragmatic sense, it would be foolish to continue to throw good money after bad for potential mediocre results as pointed out by Dan.

One factor in my favor I suppose is that the "raw" fit of the boots at this time is excellent (although the liners havent packed out yet) I do not have slop inside the boot with micro thin socks. I can ski them with the top buckles all but loose. However, I fear part of the reason for that could be the cork foot bed absorbing excess volume, while at the same time, as has been suggested, potentially locking up my ankle, exacerbating the geometry issue and actually causing the back seat problem and premature quad failure.

Great point also about skiing last years or the year before technology. I often do this with golf equipment. Heck, if each annual new line of OEM irons provided the "extra 15 yrds" as advertised, by now I would be hitting the ball 1760 yrds. I am quite satisfied hitting only 1700 yrds..... :D  Of course the challenge is finding a ski shop that carries over that type of inventory and discounts them accordingly. The knowledge to make the savvy initial purchase and then utilize an expert fitting service to dial them in I guess only comes with time and experience. Also true of maximizing the fitting process by understanding it better.

One thing I think will aid in my ultimate decision will be the ability to have my "old" boots at the fitting. Should it be determine I "need" to make a change, I can easily make side by side comparison as to how a potential new boot would feel in terms of fit and feel at the angle of attack. While it certainly wouldnt be all conclusive without on snow trial, better than nothing I guess.

Hopefully my experience and all the excellent information presented in this thread will serve to help others who are getting into or returning to skidom.

It may seem expensive and extravagant to buy upper end boots and utilize the skills of a professional fitter at the onset.  While the argument could be made that a "recreational" skier does not need upper end equipment and services to have fun, and no boot or ski will inoculate the learning curve with Olympian results. Depending upon your aspirations, expert guidance and good equipment up front in some cases is ultimately less expensive in the end game. At least until you develop a knowledge base to merge savvy purchases with a bit of equipment tweeking from a professional fitter as has been pointed out.

I'm finding that out the hard way....... ;D 

Thx guys......update to follow.......soon.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:02:33 pm by byronm »