Author Topic: A message from "Betty"  (Read 1175 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
A message from "Betty"
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:14:09 pm »
To:       The Citizens of the United States of America

In light of your failure in recent years to nominate competent candidates for President of your United States and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately (as will likely be necessary, you can look up the word 'revocation' in the Oxford English Dictionary).

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and ....

Her Sovereign Majesty suggests that you look to your neighbors to the north for guidance in how to appropriately behave as Royal Subjects, eh?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:18:41 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: A message from "Betty"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:39:27 pm »
Hmmm

The Beatles lyric called it right:

Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl, but, she doesn't have a lot to say!

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:53:51 pm »
dude really I know 100 percent of you are voting for the National party since everyone is to scared about the more evil of the lesser of 2 evils getting voted in. Viva la statist!

Honestly the founding fathers were willing to be hanged to stand up for their rights, and now everyone is so scared that either the left sock puppet or the right sock puppet may win that they have to VOTE Against them.

anyone IMO who is voting for OBamaney is unamerican and uneducated. Both choices are bad for this country. both support a police state, both support corporatism, both support the failed war on drugs, both support drone killing, both will not make same sex marriage a constitutional right, both support BIGGER government.

Vote against statism. If your Libertatain vote for Gary Johnson. If your progressive vote Jill Stein, if your Moderate vote Rocky Anderson.

I am seriously worried that people older than me really think that either Obama or Romney has an answer. If you voting for either of those guys I want 10 reason why your voting for them, not 10 reason for not voting for the other guy.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:56:21 pm by bushwacka »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:03:28 pm »
Hmm, to moderate or not?
That is the question.
Does anyone here feel unamerican or uneducated by bush's statement?
If so, let a mod know.
But, at this moment, free speech reigns.
Until I, her majesty of this forum, ( for now, until deposed or have my head cut off)
deems it deletable.

;D ;D ;D
"Play it Sam"

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:27:09 pm »
I feel unamerican since I've haven't been able to exercise my constitutional right to late-October skiing this year.  If Betty can roll back global warming, restore electrical power, and supply gasoline, then I'll bow before her.  Josh's post has nothing to do with my patriotic feelings or my educational inadequacies.

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:32:25 pm »
freedom of speech is determinded by a controlled media and doesnt actually exist.

when they arrested Jill Stein they didnt even report it since it would actually give her press.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 07:10:33 pm »
Bush:
i really wasn't trying to create a political conversation, only sharing something I found quite humorous.

However ..... I think it is way too simple to lay the problems at the feet of others such as political parties or the media.  Is that the really the problem? 

General Eisenhower, in his final Presidential speech said, effectively, "beware the military industrial complex!"  As a nation we didn't heed his warning.
President Kennedy, in an emotionally convincing speech, implored us to "ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country!"  But we have continued down a path of thinking that the government can solve all of our problems, leading to ever growing government.
I used to laugh when reading accounts of Roman Senators hiring men to drive wagons through the streets throwing bread to the people to buy their votes ---- until I realized that the practice still exists, but we do it with "pork".
In general, people don't vote for the best candidate, they vote on their particular 'hot button'.  As a result, to get elected you have to 'not say' the right things -- and then get scourged for waffling or not being totally honest.
Is the problem with "them" or are we getting the government we ask for? What leads us to believe that voting for an independent (like Ron Paul) that can't get elected is part of a solution?

So let's get back to the really important stuff, skiing and biking.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 07:56:46 pm by midwif »

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:11:26 pm »
why can nt a third party get elected?

Voting for the lesser of 2 evils is exactly the reason why we only have evils to choose from in the first place.

Its going to take alot of Wolfs in a crowd full of sheeple to make it happen. I see myself has a herding dog trying to convince sheeple my views. Alot of people will claim that they post political post to "open" up discussion. Honestly I am not trying to open up discussion I am trying to stop statism from taking over this country. The National Party has becomes far to powerful and is anti liberty.  the problem is people are scared of the more evil of 2 evils in their books so they vote against it.

I actually disagree with alot of Jill Stein and some of Rocky Anderson's policies but would rather they get votes vs "the national party"

and honestly I am man of science. God does not exist. God is a creation of man to control other men. I am not discussing whether or not religion is a good thing. But the scientific fact that god does not exist. faith in something thats not there does not prove existence. If I start believing money grows on tree or that I can fly and have all the faith in the world about it I should be put away in a mental asylum. It hard to have logical conservation when people in this country still believe in a greater being.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 08:50:58 pm »
LOL.  Nice response Bush.
Of course, some would say that you are still a man of faith, but that your god is man and his ability to understand the world (aka science).

For others, Midwif moderated out part of my post, and Bush is responding to that deleted part.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 08:56:17 pm »
I guess there's a reason there's a saying one should avoid both politics and religion as
subjects of conversation at parties.

Since politics is on the plate, let's not make it toxic by mixing in religion
(bush, don't get all semantic on me)

Agnostically yours
L.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 09:01:04 pm »
As you wish,  Buttercup!    :-* :-*

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 05:01:05 am »
I have long been frustrated by our "two party" system.  Until campaign finance laws are fixed we're stuck with a situation where voting for any "3rd party" candidates is effectively throwing away your vote.

And since we're on the topic of the election I'll bring up my biggest beef with our system; the electoral college.  Luckily I live in a "swing" state so my vote "counts", but if I were living in a state that is already pretty much "given up" to being either Democrat or Republican then I would be really pissed off right now.  The electoral college should be removed by Constitutional amendment and a simple majority vote should prevail.  How do you feel when all the votes from your state's electoral college go to one candidate or the other based on the majority vote in your state?

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 06:25:47 am »
Highangles

If Gary Johnson gets 5 percent of the vote he(or the 2016 Libertarian nominee) will be on equal footing. That the real goal here. The way to fix this is to vote for him. The more people that try the better chance we have each time of sticking it to the National Party.

Libertarians actually want to end the electoral college.

I do want to point out that Gary Johnson is a Darwinist atheist. That right there in my book means he has to be more logical about moral/science issues than anyone else.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 08:53:12 am »
The electoral college should be removed by Constitutional amendment and a simple majority vote should prevail.  How do you feel when all the votes from your state's electoral college go to one candidate or the other based on the majority vote in your state?

I concur that the electoral college has been antiquated by modern technology and should be replaced by popular vote.

On all other things political and religious in nature, LP sniffs bait and swims away. I am so tired of hype this election season brings.

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 12:40:42 pm »
..., but if I were living in a state that is already pretty much "given up" to being either Democrat or Republican then I would be really pissed off right now.

As a New Yorker for 26 year now, I've been in that situation for a while.  It's not too bad because dear Uncle Sam asks us to send him quarterly love letters and a big one on April 15 to make sure we know he still cares about us even if not about our vote.  He's a very caring and attentive uncle.  If we forget to send a letter, he sends people to "check up" on us.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 01:50:50 pm »
The electoral college should be removed by Constitutional amendment and a simple majority vote should prevail.  How do you feel when all the votes from your state's electoral college go to one candidate or the other based on the majority vote in your state?
I think the electoral college should stay -- it provides a certain balance between populous eastern states and the less populous western states in a way consistent with the Constitution; and I guess the way it handles the District of Columbia is OK.
But I agree that the "winner take all" approach to each states electoral votes should be done away with, as should the electors.  If Virginia votes 49%-48%-3% for the D-R-I candidates, then Virginia's Electoral College votes should be divvied up 6.37, 6.24, 0.39 (and, as I mentioned, I don't believe that the votes should be selecting Elector's; they should have gone the way of the dinosaur).

Quote from: Alan Simpson
Former Sen. Alan Simpson of Wyoming defends the Electoral College system for protecting small states in elections, which otherwise might be overrun by big city campaigning: "Once you get rid of the Electoral College, the election will be conducted in New York and San Francisco."
HA, as a Colorado resident you should be in favor of the electoral college approach (if not it's  winner take all execution).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:20:27 pm by jim-ratliff »

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 06:04:58 pm »
My problem with the electoral college is the "winner" takes all aspect of it in all but 2 states. We have this idea that it is red states and blue states, but when you look at the electoral map by counties, wow, it seems like a lot of people are getting the shaft.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 06:20:22 pm »
4 states and 15 counties are deciding virually every presedential election. That is not what was intended when they set up the electoral college!!

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 10:19:00 pm »
My goodness....yet another contentous political season...I am more wore out than I was when I tried to snowboard for the first time after half a day on two boards.
However, I now know who I am "supposed" to be....apparently America's demographics mirror one of three ids,  Media opinions and personalities centralized in NY...Entertainment(ers) in CA...or Politics(ians) in DC.....Now that I understand this existential epiphany, I am much more at ease and of course look forward to future exercises in sane, reasonable and relevent political discourse..... ;D

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 01:50:40 pm »
After I proposed the same line of thinking, a friend of mine made an interesing argument that a vote for either dem or repub is a vote for what he called the 'corporatrocity', which he claimed was the only way (other than not voting) to throw away a vote. This meme has been bouncing around in this small brain for the last couple of weeks.

its the National Party and its being supporter by statist in herds who think we are crazy for being different.

If the libertarian were good for corporate interest they would be getting funding from them.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 01:58:40 pm »
.....Now that I understand this existential epiphany, I am much more at ease and of course look forward to future exercises in sane, reasonable and relevent political discourse..... ;D

I would like to point out for Byron's sake that I started this as neither 'sane' nor 'reasonable' nor 'relevant'. I received it in an email and found it most humorous. I added little bit of a troll for Svend, expecting he would enlighten us with guidance on being loyal subjects but he seems not to have risen to the bait. I was quite surprised how quickly it removed itself from the realm of humor.

To:       The Citizens of the United States of America

In light of your failure in recent years to nominate competent candidates for President of your United States and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately (as will likely be necessary, you can look up the word 'revocation' in the Oxford English Dictionary).

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and ....

Her Sovereign Majesty suggests that you look to your neighbors to the north for guidance in how to appropriately behave as Royal Subjects, eh?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:00:39 pm by jim-ratliff »

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 06:13:07 pm »
All you need to know about politics is the derivation of the word "politics".

Poli (poly) meaning "many".

Tics (ticks) - blood sucking insects!

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 07:56:16 pm »
LOL....Jim...I wasn't referring to "this" discourse.....I was referring to this political season as a whole. In years past I considered myself a moderately informed voter...but this year decided (unwittingly) to follow this election very close, research the issues, ponder them, make, informed decisions based on "logic" in the world according to byron anyway.
BIG mistake....the jist of my comment was that I felt better knowing less....less pigeon holed...certainly more optimistic about outcomes. Fact is...this year wore me out and demonstrated how manipulated we all are by messaging, parsed words, faux claims and "perhaps" a less than sterile election process?  In fact, it's hard not to look on the process without some semblance of humor...perhaps the most critical medicinal element to treat the wounds.... ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 09:39:59 am »
All you need to know about politics is the derivation of the word "politics".

Poli (poly) meaning "many".

Tics (ticks) - blood sucking insects!
+1   ROTFLMAO  (where's that icon, Lynn?)

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 05:34:32 pm »

max_501

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 07:41:10 pm »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 09:31:36 pm »
I should know better than to go out of town for a week, and leave you lot unsupervised.  I just read this whole thread, and am loving it. 

I added little bit of a troll for Svend, expecting he would enlighten us with guidance on being loyal subjects but he seems not to have risen to the bait.

Sorry Jim...very lax of me for not attending.  But I must enter this discussion with a correction:  we Canadians are no longer loyal subjects of the crown.  We have been without a monarch since 1982 when we repatriated our Constitution, an Act signed by Betty herself.  A very proud moment for our country, I must say.  We have been redefiining our national identity ever since, and getting more patriotic with every year.

As for the recent election in the US, us Canadians were watching with rapt attention to every thrust and parry over the past months.....years, actually.  Fascinating, in a strange kind of way.  A bit like the gapers at a car crash on the freeway -- drawn to the carnage in a morbid sense, but damn glad it's not us.  And good lord, it takes forever for you guys to run election campaigns. Take a lesson from Canada, please, and put us all out of our misery a tad more swiftly:  six weeks and it's over and done with up here, and we get on with running the kitchen already. 

But I digress....   Given the partisan discourse and rancour in your country since 2008, I could certainly understand how Jim would find a tinge of temptation the thought of a stable, calm period of rule by a lovely old gal like Lizzy.  Imagine the P & Q! No more childish bickering; actual governance and progress.  Bliss! She might even bring in a universal national health service in the British model.  Charming, James old chap.... 

But beware! All is not roses.  Canada got so fed up with having to march off to London, hat in hand, every time we wanted to enact a major piece of nation-changing legislation (constitutional reforms, and that sort of stuff) and ask HRH if please would she mind signing off on it.  Americans, being the independent-minded sort, would last, oh, maybe a year or two, and then you'd want that ole constitution back home again, fer sure.  Trouble is, you might get one or two states that don't like the terms of repatriation, and hold the rest of the country to ransom.  This is what happened in Canada when the frenchies in Quebec, petulant and manipulating, refused to sign unless they had major concessions which would have led to their eventual independent statehood.  The rest of Canada (English) told them to go to hell, and to this day Quebec is the only province that is not a signatory to our Constitution.  So Jim:  don't do it, my friend!!!  Don't say I didn't warn you....

That's my history lesson for today...  Back to the many ticks in the world.  There sure are a lot of them, aren't there.  Perhaps we should legalize DDT again?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 09:44:30 pm by Svend »