Author Topic: Canadian Style!  (Read 3110 times)

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Canadian Style!
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 09:10:12 pm »
You're going the wrong way, Jim.  You need longer skis so you can go faster!  Have I mentioned that I have a line on a pair of 191cm GS skis for you?  They're made of unobtanium, and Kamden pre-trained them for you..  ;D

Jim, careful here.  They're pre-trained to be skied with one no-such-flex-exists Raptor boot and one hunting boot.  Combined with the spaceman helmet, that footwear selection could make you an enticing target for the knuckledragger crowd. 

Once Midwif sends me her quiver of sub-170's and her nonrefundable $100 deposit, I'll be glad to discuss some quality skis with you.  (She has carefully trained them to be skied in tandem with two ski boots at all times.)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 04:13:38 pm »
H-A...thanks for the clarification.  And sorry for getting my shorts in a twist over this.

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 07:36:05 pm »
You're going the wrong way, Jim.  You need longer skis so you can go faster!  Have I mentioned that I have a line on a pair of 191cm GS skis for you?  They're made of unobtanium, and Kamden pre-trained them for you..  ;D

If Kam pre-trained them, does that mean that I get just one ski? Or do I get a pair that I can only ski one of the skis at a time?

Jim, careful here.  They're pre-trained to be skied with one no-such-flex-exists Raptor boot and one hunting boot.  Combined with the spaceman helmet, that footwear selection could make you an enticing target for the knuckledragger crowd.

The knucledraggers would have to catch me first. But the look would fit right in with the knuckledragger crowd. The space shot helmet does get a lot of thumbs up from snowboarders. :P I get the "you must be crazy" look from most skiers when they realize I am in Dobie 150's. Now if I can find a pair of red/green suspenders I may be able to get my fellow PMTS'ers worried about me. :o

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 07:43:52 pm »
Now if I can find a pair of red/green suspenders I may be able to get my fellow PMTS'ers worried about me. :o

Ever heard of guy named Red Green? TV icon and fashion innovator here in Canada.  Check out his look.... http://www.redgreen.com/  It might inspire you to be in the avant garde.   ;D

Well....this thread is about Canadian Style, isn't it?

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 08:01:15 pm »
Svend,

Congrats, you got it. I was trying to get the thread back on topic. ;D

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 08:09:45 pm »
If Kam pre-trained them, does that mean that I get just one ski? Or do I get a pair that I can only ski one of the skis at a time?

You get both, but you can only wear them one at a time.  It's for practicing the advanced variants of the Phantom Move.  This is pretty secret stuff--I've never seen HH talk about the rest of the progression publicly.  It goes lifting->lightening->leaving it at the lodge->forgetting it in your car->leaving it at home->selling it on Gear Swap.  By the time you reach the end, you've reached mastery, and can ski with an SL on one foot and an SG on the other, so you can carve turns of arbitrary size in any given run.  ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 08:24:24 pm »
Todd/Dan:
Someone ought to let everyone else in on the genesis of the one ski, one ski boot, one hunting boot, one Kamden story.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 09:54:42 am »
Todd/Dan:
Someone ought to let everyone else in on the genesis of the one ski, one ski boot, one hunting boot, one Kamden story.

Go for it Jim, you are part of the Kam story.

I'm still working on Canadian Style, looking for some red/green suspenders.

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 05:29:52 pm »
If, during a day of skiing, one spills any Kool-Aid from his free-foot hunting/drinking boot,* then he must turn in his secret PMTS lingo decoder ring and he is thenceforth condemned to ski 50-50 on two skis.  Since many skiers just can't hold their Kool-Aid, manufacturers nowadays sell skis and boots in pairs of two so that their customers can save face. 

Many skiers twist their flat ski to turn in a failed attempt to avoid sloshing the Kool-Aid out of their boot.  That makes for bad skiing Juju.  Successful initiates trust in The Force (centripetal) to hold the Kool-Aid in their boot no matter how great the edge angle. 

At the time he skied with us, Kam had low twenties in SL and GS and thirties in the speed events.  He could hold his Kool-Aid with style, although he almost lost some when he tried the overly "soft" Bomber B-1 slalom skis.  Definitely an unobtainium afficionado.

Kam is also a warning to us all.  After a Noram race, he forgot to back off his DINs and in a freak accident wound up with a crushed calf that cut his season short.  He skied one-footed with us for a weekend at Sugarbush along with Glenn S., his skiing mentor.

---------

* I am not at liberty to discuss the apres ski libation rituals.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:31:51 pm by ToddW »

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 05:47:56 pm »
Looking for something along these lines?

These are high quality Perry Brand suspenders! They are slightly different than the ones Red wears but they are the "official" ones supplied to us by the good folks at the Red Green Show. The Red Green Possum Lodge logo is stamped into the leather -- just like Red would want it!

NOTE: The folks at the Red Green show have re-designed these suspenders a bit. Instead of the metal clasp at the end of each strap there are now plastic bits that hook onto your belt. They are now on official looking hang tags instead of packaged in a cheap plastic bag, too.

http://www.rentertainment.com/redgreen/index.htm

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2012, 06:12:35 pm »
Todd,

Unfortunately my ski pants don't have a belt in order to use the "official" red/green suspenders. So it goes, eh

After ski libations??!?!  What have I missed at these get togethers while being chased by the knuckledraggers? I thought only Kool-aid was being served.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2012, 07:28:24 pm »

Meput: 
You must be from up in the North(east) woods as well. 
Suspenders don't require a belt, they replace a belt.

ToddW:
Very well done.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2012, 08:40:56 pm »
Jim, Meput is from Maine.  He's, like, almost a Canadian, eh? He'll know what to clip a suspender to, and what not to....  ::)

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 12:49:16 am »

After ski libations??!?!  What have I missed at these get togethers while being chased by the knuckledraggers? I thought only Kool-aid was being served.

Jim,

I'm sure your daughter can fill you in.

;D

meput

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 06:35:53 pm »

Meput: 
You must be from up in the North(east) woods as well. 
Suspenders don't require a belt, they replace a belt.

Jim, I know what to do with suspenders. Have had them since ~ 2 yrs of age. Have always used suspenders for skiing. Used to lend my suspenders to my female companion skiers, back in the '60's, because they used to put them on backwards  :P. The "official red/green suspenders" have clips that go over a belt, rather than clips,  - what's up with that, eh?

Jim,

I'm sure your daughter can fill you in.;D

Now, I really am concerned about what I missed, eh. ???
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:42:56 pm by meput »