Author Topic: Wider skis for my wife?  (Read 2476 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Wider skis for my wife?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 08:06:29 am »
Svend,
Do you go to Jackson with G and Alice? If so, they can hook you up with our guru boot fitter, Stephen, who works in Jackson Hole Sports right at the base of the mountain. Stephen can get a reservation for a specific pair of skis, and, I think staff members can arrange a discount. In any case, you have to meet him and take a couple of runs with him and his family. He posts on Epic as "Skiing-in-Jackson" and is just fun to ski with.

Mike...no, I don't go to Jackson with G & A, but my wife does  8)  Me, I have to stay home with our daughters. 

That's great tip about Stephen -- thanks for that.  We'll check out their lineup of demos and see if there is anything that would suit.  The rental shop in the base lodge has Fischer and Dynastar -- the latter she tried last year; the former is on the hit list for this year.  But she has a few others that she is keen to try as well. 

And thanks for the insight re. the mid-80 width.  Interesting feedback, and you're the first here to actually say so outright. 

Bottom line, if she isn't totally wowed by the wider skis, or finds the trade-offs for going to 98mm just aren't worth it just for the extra float, then she will stick with what she has.  To be clear, she really likes her present Dynastars, and it will take an exceptional ski to get her off of those.  Heck, I've even heard of men skiing them, they are so good.  In fact, Sierra Jim from Epic once said (back when they first came out) that if they made them in a men's version, he would own a pair, they're that good.