Author Topic: Aline Footbeds  (Read 563 times)

Barrettscv

Aline Footbeds
« on: December 16, 2006, 09:58:25 am »
A footbed system that works as advertised.

Footbeds fall into to three groups IMO.

A) the worthless OEM footbeds provided by the boot manufacturer
B) the custom products formed by the bootfitter
C) the aftermarket products that are used without forming

I had a pair of custom footbeds that were very unsatisfactory several years ago. I decided that for my foot-shape (low arch, wide and soft feet) that the aftermarket footbeds were better than a custom footbed that were generally to stiff and reduced the volume inside the boot (forcing me into a larger shell size).

I've been using Walkabout Downunders: http://ecom1.sno-ski.com/product320.html

These were a huge upgrade over stock footbeds, fit my foot shape, had a deep heel pocket, were comfortable and helped me downsize into a smaller shell size.

Rick at Verticle Drop (Chicago's best ski shop) suggested the Aline footbeds and fitted a pair in early December a few days before departing to Utah & Colorado.

The Aline footbed delivered: http://www.alinesystems.com/Default.aspx?Page=wFootBed

They are selected and carefully fitted to my foot using a sophisticated laser alignment device by the bootfitter. The shape and fit of the Aline is complex with hard and soft areas to improve skiing control.

The impression I have is that the design allows the entire foot sole to contribute to control over the ski. I found myself making small changes in balance within the boot.  Before I was balanced either forward (on the balls of my foot) or back towards the heel. The Aline footbed provides better use of the arch to balance and I found myself more centered on the ski. The Aline footbed also aligns the ankle well.

The Aline footbed does reduce the volume of the boot, but it helped snug the foot in the boot without any hot-spots, so no problem. I also noticed improved all-day comfort and less fatigue.

Cheers,

Michael

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter