Author Topic: Fischer Progressor 8's review  (Read 1624 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Fischer Progressor 8's review
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:16:35 am »
Well, picked up my new Progressors on Wed....got 2 coats of wax on them...cold then the current weather and Saturday, we loaded up the truck and headed for Holiday Valley to meet friends from Chicago!

Me: 5'81/2", 156lbs : likes to mix up turn shapes, likes to ski in the soft snow along the edges, prefers a ski that can turn tight and be solid at high speed and versatile to ski bumps and ankle high powder.

The Former Skis: Head I Super Shapes, 165 length. tuned 1 base 2 side bevel

The New Ski:
Fischer Progressor 8's
The finish: the skis new colors are white with black and orange (go figure) trim. Excellent high gloss finish.
Length: 160
Tune: factory 1 base 3 side
Binding mounted in +15 position, Railflex design, Fischer version
Dims: 120 72 103
Turning Radius 11 - 15 meter (factory says shovel radius brings on the short turn capability and the tail radius helps make longer turns more solid.)
My concerns: did I go too short

Saturday morning temp: teens, to low 20's and sunny.
Snow conditions: Boiler plate patches, with marble and golf ball chunks. Some soft snow here and there mixed in with icy hard boiler plate.

Got off the chair lift and did a few ankle rolls to see how the skis responded...nice. Standing at the top of the mountain, I started in along the edge looking at marble snow pellets, granular snow and ice patches. I first noticed how easily the skis responded from a centered ski stance. Didn't have to hardcharge the tips...especially with the boiler plate. The skis came around nicely and both edges of upper and lower ski dug nicely into the hardback. After about 3 turns, I picked up the pace and started in some medium swing turns. Skis felt rock solid, no chatter and carved really well. Possibly the result of the 3 degree side bevel.

Looking for terrain where I could open up the skis and create some longer turns.....I could only find this kind of terrain on some of their blue runs that were long enough. Found the P8's had enough muscle to take me through GS turns as fast I could safely muster on a busy Saturday. The skis entered the turns solidly and finished with a release when I was ready. The tail of the ski has great energy and you can feel it back there in the turn exit or if you get thrown in the back seat. Very manageable and very supporting. AND their ice hold.....Fischer legendary....they eat ice!

The suprise of the day is when I jumped into some 2 foot ice bumps. The shorter ski was easier to maneuver but the biggest plus was that 72mm waist. It really allowed better feel underfoot compared to the 66mm waist of the SS. The skis worked nicely in the troughs or riding up the bumps all slick as they were. The 3 degree side bevel was not a hindrance at all and felt they actually helped my speed management.

Overall opinion: I absolutely love this ski...it's a wonderful natural progression from my previous ski and would highly recommend. Jbotti has the Progessor 9 and spoke very highly of it as well.
The RX8's have been a strong staple for Fischer and the Progressor 8's follow in their footsteps and actually increase their versatility.

If you get a chance....demo a pair!

Best,
Gary

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:32:58 pm by Gary »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Fischer Progressor 8's review
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:48:30 am »
nice review! Sounds like a great new ski for you. I can't wait to test them this week.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:40:22 am »
Gary:

Compare and contrast with the SS (original)?? What does one do better than the other or where do your prefer the feel of one vs. the other?? I know you've been impressed/surprised at the deeper snow you could ski with the SS, I assume that the wider waist of the P8 will allow it to be at least as competent in soft snow?

Hard question.? Knowing what you know now, would you recommend the Progressor or the SuperShape for a skier just like Gary that didn't have either?

EDIT:  Assuming, of course, that the SuperShapes came in Orange instead of Red.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:54:25 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 11:48:50 am »
Me: 5'81/2", 156lbs  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:52:19 pm »
Hey Jim...

The SS is a fantastic ski...loves to carve but has excellent turn shape versatility. I'm going to avoid the ice hold question because in my mind, I wonder how much better the SS could be with a 3 degree side bevel.

When I mentioned "natural progression for me"...I've been watching with great interest how the new skis have been able to combine width under foot and short turning radius. I know the new materials in ski manufacturing have made great strides in torsional stability so skiing shorter really works.

The only shortfall I could find for me with the SS is that it was difficult to ski in firm to icy bumps and even larger soft bumps. The waist to tip ratio made the ski want to turn....controlable with soft feel in non bump ski conditions but found it to be harder to soft edge in control in the bumps. So I actually began to think about the SS Mag....it's dims are very similar to the P'8's. I did ride Ron's Mags and thought it was a great ski. As I started to do some research, I knew that both Fischer and Head offered great performance. The? SS Mag felt less snappy than did my SS (when it was new) so I wanted to find a ski that had Slalom/GS characteristics and started leaning toward Fischer based on my previous experience with the RX8. The new Progessor series skis were getting great reviews and it had the design characteristics I thought could provide the performance characteristics I was seeking.

I think the biggest difference is that feel of 72 underfoot. The P8 turns as quickly and solidly as the SS...but that 72 underfoot is extremely reassuring in the bumps and provides a float I can feel emanating underfoot. I had mentioned to Ron that when I skied the Mag compared to my SS, the biggest distinction was that when I pressured the edges with the SS, I felt leverage from tip to tail of the ski where with the Mag and the P8's, I can definitely fell the energy and leverage immediately underfoot. That may sound weird to some but that's what I felt.....having that sensitivity in broken snow and the bumps makes the skis feel more responsive to my feet.....and yup...that's where the skiing begins.

Hope that splains it Jim,

G ....yes and still 5'81/2 inches, and 156 lbs before a ski trip!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:55:16 pm by Gary »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 02:03:44 pm »
That is an excellent analysis, and I see where it ties in with your current/evolving ski style.? Completely understandable.
Thanks.? Very well done.? What Ron says about your communication skills and perverse fascinations is just not true (or at least the communication part).

;D? And, of course, the fact that they have a bit or Orange in them means nothing??? ?;D
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:32:30 am »
Here's what the German magazine says about the Progressor 8:

Class:? med. turn, high performance

Rating:? 5 Stars; VIP designation (top of class)

Comments:
- sporty power package
- loves to rip; blossoms at high speed; no chattering at speed; very stable
- loves long, fast turns
- outstanding edge grip; directional control and accuracy
- good in all aspects (edge grip, stability, smoothness, etc.)
- highly sporty and fun!
- not for ladies with weak thighs (seriously, that's what it says)

Sounds like an awesome ski, Gary.? Well chosen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kantengriff = edge grip? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Vielseitigkeit = versatility? ? ? ?
Wendigkeit/Vitalitat = agility/energy? ? ?Tempovermogen/Laufruhe = stability/smoothness

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:24:01 pm by Svend »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 01:24:04 pm »
Hey Svend...hits it all on the nail....I just might ad...the ski in the 160 length rocks at short turns too. Thank you for posting that.

THe ONLY thing I had trouble with while Ron laughed his butt off hysterically, we did a bump run under a chair in the morning at Steamboat on firm snow and we had a blast on it. Then the sun warmed up to 50 degrees and the run still looked inviting. Well as soon as I droped in...it was 12 inches of humus......could not turn the P8s...they sank...shovel, tail, edge...with me falling 3 times before getting to the bottom...where Ron was waiting happily with his Pilgrims. Even the people on the lifts were offering advice like "get some twin tips", and "should we call for saftey patrol"....it was crazy but laughable!

So skiing quicksand with the P8's is not advisable...but for all other uses including powder up to ankle high.....the P'8's are a great ride....best to date for me~!

G

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 08:40:02 pm »
great review Gary.  Thanks.  I had a great time at camp with my Rx8.  It was interesting that I had a chance to ski the Head SS original and it was definitely a little quicker due to it's shorter turn radius, and I had ton of fun on it for one day, but my RX8 the next day still felt pretty darn good and really couldn't tell any big drop off. 

I did have one perfect (at least for me) turn on the steep slope....it was an awesome feeling.. flex, tip, counter, whoosh....SWEET ;D
Happened to have the RX8 on that run.

I am heading out late March with my son for the weekend and will bring my Magnums at 177.  Will be interesting whether I wish I had my RX8's with me.

Perry

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 08:25:42 am »
Hey Perry....
Glad to hear you had a great camp. Speaking of that "one perfect turn".....once you get the taste....you'll find working on those skills that helped create that turn become easier to re-create. Harold said to our group one time it takes 1000 turns to be able to apply a taught technique. If I may encourage you to keep working on it...the benefits are huge!

I'm thinking the Magnum will be perfect as you'll be skiing some soft snow without a doubt. The Mag's going to give you that extra bit of float and if it's a wee bit hard pack in the am......the Mags still perform respectably there as well.

Where are you going?

Best,
Gary
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:16:40 am by jim-ratliff »

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 07:10:36 pm »
Loveland, Vail, and ...............A-basin, Copper, not sure on Saturday.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 08:57:08 am »
Let us know how the conditions are....thanks Perry!

G

Rimsey

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 09:53:59 am »
Demo'd these and Apache Crossfires - got the crossfires :)