Author Topic: The Monster 78, the ultimate do-it-all ski?  (Read 652 times)

Barrettscv

The Monster 78, the ultimate do-it-all ski?
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:18:57 am »
Many contributors here at Realskiers are Head fanatics and are also customers of Scott "Dawgcatching" from Epic. Scott manages the Village ski & bike shop in Sunriver Oregon. I had a business meeting in Central Oregon, so why not pick-up my new Fischer WC SC and do a little skiing at Mt. Bachelor? Scott offered to show me the mountain, how could I refuse that?

I had the pleasure of skiing with Scott yesterday. Conditions at Mt. Bachelor included perfect groomed conditions on the front side and boot-top conditions on the back side. Scott was using his Monster iM 78 and it was an impressive verification of the ski (& skiers) versatility.

Scott was easily hyper-carving on the groomed. I was on my new carving ski, a 165cm 13 meter TR SL cheater ski that is highly regarded as a superb short & medium turn carver ;D. The Monster has a 14 meter TR and was clearly carving the same kind of tight pencil line turns. We ventured to the back side of Mt. Bachelor and found some boot-top deep fresh snow and Scott & his 78's were easily scarving any kind of turn, while I was wishing I was on my other skis. I was forced to lean slightly back to keep my tips from diving, while Scott could stay centered and ski with much less effort in deeper snow.

Scott had used the Supershape as his primary ski this winter; but plans to use the 78 as his anything-up-to-8-inches-deep-ski. He recommended the Supershape Magnum to me (I'm 230 lbs) and said its a very beefy ski, too beefy for lighter skiers. He also likes the Fischer Progressor.

There clearly is an emerging group of 70mm to ??? wide skis that perform as excellent carvers while functioning very well in all conditions less than 8 inches deep. I consider my Dynastar Contact 11 to be one of these, along with the Nordica Speedmachine Mach 3 and others.

My Fischer SC is possibly a member of a dying breed. I intend to use the ski as a coach. These demanding short skis do require the skier to clean carve and stay centered more than all-mountain skis. However, they do not guarantee superior hard snow performance and are difficult to use in softer snow.

For most skiers, why bother with a sub-70mm wide ski, when a wider ski performs just as well?

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 08:29:17 am by Barrettscv »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: The Monster 78, the ultimate do-it-all ski?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 11:24:27 am »

Michael, sounds like you didn't get any time on the iM78's yourself?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Barrettscv

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 05:10:10 pm »
Hi Jim,

Nope, I did not ski the 78, I would need a 178cm anyway. I did ski a 186cm monster 88 and it was ideal for the heavy fresh snow that fell today.

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 06:54:06 am »
Good info Michael and I am happy to see that you are still making some high quality turns there bud.  How's the gear doing for you?  I am curious to hear your impressions of whether the "newer" technology has made a difference overall.

Barrettscv

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 09:19:35 am »
Hi Ron,

How are you feeling? We both will need PT this summer, you for your knee, me for my belly? :D.

Skiing with Scott was great. Mt Bachelor is a unique place. The bottom half reminded me of Vermont, with narrow wooded trails of moderate steepness. The Upper half reminded me of Lake Louise, a tree-less ice & snow covered space that is wonderful on a clear & calm day, but un-ski-able on an all-to-common windy & foggy day. April is the time of year to ski Oregon, according to several locals. The scenery is spectacular, as is the quality of life in Bend. Fun!

The Fischer WC SC provided a familiar blend of Fischer characteristics; quick but stable, like the RX8. The ski is also rewarding of clean carve like the WC RC & Scenio S500. Very response to direction changes if you flex the ski and very punishing of any stance that's off center. I was spooked by the power of the ski for several runs.

I spent the first hour making cautious soft-edge linked turns, the ski will skid turns, but it feels like a Porsche in a parking garage. Then Scott & I went to the back side. Caution was no longer a luxury I could afford. I managed to link most of my turns, but I skied with excess concern about tip dive, which would have put me over the handle-bars in an instant. Skiing in snow that was deep & soft enough that floating was reality is really spooky on a 165cm ski, tremendous work also.

Things got way-better as we skied the Northwest section. These runs are great cruisers and were perfect for high "C" clean carved turns. It was fun keeping pace with Scott, he is a great skier and very good company. I eventually was skiing at my normal pace, but with 50% more turns. The ski coach on my feet were making an positive impact. The WC SC perform very well and are surprising stable for such a short ski. Its number one issue is its potential to auger into moguls, a problem most SL skis share. The Flow-flex plate works very well on on variable surfaces, soaking up the choppy afternoon snow. The ski is a keeper for Vermont conditions and will make my cruising less dependant on speed and more driven by clean carve technique.

It was snowing and sleeting on Saturday. Several inches accumulated, and the surface would constantly vary from corduroy to deep untracked snow to wet & soft moguls. Skiing in my normal speed range was really demanding on the 165cm Fischers. I finally demoed some Monster 88's in a 186cm. (I asked for a 182cm Monster 82, but it was being used). The big monsters were great, carving like a GS ski regardless of the sloppy mess underfoot.

The Contact 11 could have covered all the conditions seen at Mt Bachelor very well. The WC SC is far more race oriented, and a fun & challenging addition to the quiver.

Cheers,

Michael

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 01:59:47 pm by Barrettscv »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 04:43:13 am »
Michael, I have the mojo's and the SS's for Steamboat, given what you have seen with the 78's would you recomend looking at replacing the SS's with 78's or is that too much overlap with the mojo's? I still want that GS, high performance ability for harder snow days but since you really don't get true hard snow out there and those 78's have a 14m radius, I was thinking that may be a good option.  You could still carvea  mean line but then jump into any thing off-piste still around.

Thoughts from my fellow gear-whores?

Barrettscv

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 06:38:00 am »
Hi Ron,

I would not jump at a new model in your case, you can cover all your needs with the SS & Mojo. The Monster 78 would be an ideal one ski quiver for an East coast skier who goes to the Rockies for an annual vacation, or for skiers (like me) who travel and want to carry only one ski.

You have the enviable ability to keep 2 skis at your second home and pull from the ski closet as conditions dictate, you lucky dog!

The truth be told, I could ski everything East or West on my Contact 11's. I'm just a gear-ho who likes something new on a regular basis (skis don't care if your monogamous).

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 06:49:50 am »
thanks my fellow Ho'  :) Yes, go forth and multiply really means go buy more skis and yes, I think that its just fun to buy and try. I can't wait to head back out the Boat in june and its only 8 months till next season. You have no compliants my nomadic friend. I think you beat out cassara for the number of resorts skied in one season.  Good job!!!!

Barrettscv

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 07:31:42 am »
Its been a great year,

Snowbird (X 2), Snowmass, Beaver Creek, Stratton, Mt. Snow, Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Alta, Mad River Glen & Mt. Bachelor.

The skiing was awesome, but the best part was the friends that I made along the way ;D.

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 07:35:15 am »
well said!  Although the phrase, "there are no friends on a powder day" is true, it is also true that skiing alone on a powder day is not nearly as fun ;)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 06:21:59 pm »
Michael, I have the mojo's and the SS's for Steamboat, given what you have seen with the 78's would you recomend looking at replacing the SS's with 78's or is that too much overlap with the mojo's? I still want that GS, high performance ability for harder snow days but since you really don't get true hard snow out there and those 78's have a 14m radius, I was thinking that may be a good option.? You could still carvea? mean line but then jump into any thing off-piste still around.

Thoughts from my fellow gear-whores?

Ron:? My 78's from Dawg came in last week (I got the 177cm length) and I will be bringing them to RealSkiers II and all are welcome to demo.
I fact, even though I don't usually bring two pair, I will probably bring my i.SL Chips to ski the first couple of days and get reacquainted with my feet.

But I agree with Michael, I doubt that replacing the SuperShape with an iM78 makes much sense when you've got such good coverage on both sides of the 78 mm waist. 

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 07:10:19 am »
Thanks Jim, I am hoping that you never get those SL's out of the condo!  Start praying now for heavy dumpages of that trademarked Champagne(tm) powder. I would love to demo the 78's if nothing else to see how they perform but I will heed the good advice from you both regarding the SS's and the Mojo's. I am already thinking about demoing the new Gotamas. There is such great off-piste terrain up there and nothing beats a nice pair of fatties in the trees and rocks and stuff. They are just so much fun.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 02:49:45 pm »
Michael...you da man....Nice reports and sounds like you pushed the envelope on skiing so many great resorts. Nice skiing with Scott I'm sure. Anytime you can make turns with someone that knows the mountain...that's perfect!

I think you have a great quivver of skis and now the luxery of a ski caddie would be perfect. Glad you're out there making turns bud.

I agree watching you turn your Contact 11's....they'd be most accommodating anywhere you ski and certainly for most conditions.

Having owned and skied the IM75 and IM77, I'm really interested in skiing the 78 just to see where they fit into the "ski stream" of things. I'll bet they are a great turning ski as well.

YOu know Ron,......maybe you should have a pair of 78's in the closet just to change up the pace. Can we identify another condition that would be between the conditions the SS and the MOJO's are capable of...Hmmmm.....I'm thinking....hmmmm.. ..
more thinking.......got it....

picture this.....you're at XXX Mountain where trails are only cattrack and 1/2 wide, you're at 4500 feet elevatoin where it sleets most of the time with some wet powder for good sakes thrown in...Hmmm, SS, MOJO, or IM78's.....if you said 78's, you win.
For sure, why not have a pair...Ok...I'm busting on ya....still, there are certain conditions a man like yourself, might want to have a different pair of skis to match a new outfit....OK..yep.. ..still busting on ya.

Would like to ski those 78's though just to see how they compare to the 77's which I traded for my 82's, and see how they compare to the 82's. As i understand it, the 78 is a totally new ski all together. Look forward to bumming a ride on them Jim come December.
I think there's going to be a great market for the 78....nice pick Jim!

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 08:29:57 am »
Gar' I didn't think of the outfit implication!  ;D, Yes, ui can see it now,

Its 6Am in Steamboat, the sun is just starting to rise, I have been up for about an hour now since I can't sleep, I am watching the local channel for the weather report. The skies are looking like they are clear and temps are in the low single digits, Hmm, that would be my Orange Jacket with a liner. Probably the white pants but the black ones are a bit warmer, If I go with the black, the Mojos may match better...the white, either the SS's or the Mojo's, What decisions...

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 08:57:42 am »
Ron, you're a complicated man for sure....Still, having a wardrobe to match your skis just might take your focus off of Steamboat sunrises.
YOu know, you could set up each outfit in your special man room at your house, and match up your skis....picture it now....skis, wardrobe carefully placed around the room. Yup...you might just forget about skiing.

NOT!
G