Author Topic: Review: DP Skis Lotus 138  (Read 677 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Review: DP Skis Lotus 138
« on: March 28, 2007, 03:11:32 pm »
Well I finally got these out in the right conditions yesterday. For those that aren't aware, the skis are Drake Powderworks Lotus 138's. These are reverse camber, reverse sidecut skis that are highly specialized for powder and soft snow conditions. This ski only comes in a 192 length and the dimensions that DP gives are 140-138-139, but this is misleading. These dimensions are only of the middle section of the ski, which has a modest amount of sidecut. The ski is a true reverse sidecut ski so the true dimensions are closer to 125-140-138-139-120 (although the 125 and the 120 dimensions are guesses).

Conditions: We caught 10-12 inches of fresh, reasonably fluffy snow at the bottom of Squaw and the upper mountain and higher elevations got 14-16 inches. High winds create some windblown pockets that were easily knee deep or more. All of this came after two weeks of very warm temps and the slush bumps underneath had turned to ice.

Impressions:
These are great pure powder skis. The tips and the tails will not dive and they give superior float to any traditional ski. Having said this, they really do take some time to get used to. I have never been on any reverse camber, reverse sidecut skis before which means that I have no frame of reference to compare these to Spats or any other comparable ski. Those that have, tend to rave about what DP has accomplished.

The fact that the tail does not dive and floats on the snow may be more significant than the fact that the tip doesn't. Tight turns at speed or without speed are simple and it does not require carving ability or technique. In fact you need to smear the turns and use some pivoting action. In the trees and in tight spots and chutes, this is truly an amazing characteristic. I was able to do hop turns in chutes without hopping!!! You can just point the ski slightly into the fall line and with a little pivoting it will turn 180 degrees. This ability was quite confidence inspiring and it made tree skiing an absolute blast.

In chopped up fresh snow, the same characteristic was at work. There is absolutely no tip deflection mainly because the tips never get into the snow. You glide across the top of the chop and it is a very smooth ride. Again the main mode of turning is pivoting which is simple in all soft terrain. As well the ability to vary turn shape and tactics is very high. You can ski GS turns in pow and chop or ski more powder 8 type turns in all soft terrain. Again the tail give no resistance and the tips will not dive, so with any rotary action applied to the skis they will turn and turn quite quickly.

Where the ski also shines is in less steep fresh snow. The float is amazing so you maintain your speed much better in shallower terrain and it made skiing it a blast, whereas with a traditional powder ski you might get easily bogged down and maybe even have to hike out.

These are all the positives. The negatives are several. First, I absolutely hated the ski on groomed terrain. It was somewhere between highly uncomfortable and dangerous. At speed on harder snow they were downright dangerous. Let me say that this is as advertised. No one has ever said that reverse camber will ski well on groomed terrain. What I find interesting is that everyone says the Lotus 138?s are much more user friendly on groomers than are the Spatulas. If so I would hate to try the Spats on groomed terrain. The skis are theoretically carveable. You need speed to get them on edge, and then you have a very short running length on the ski as so much of the ski is not touching the snow. Fore aft balance has to be perfect and then they will carve very wide radius turns. Unfortunately because they are so short on groomed terrain, any undulations in the terrain will challenge balance. Again I hated them on groomed terrain and I would imagine that this may improve some with time.

I think that for me, the true greatness of this ski is also on of its detractions. With no tail and no tip creating a contact point with the ski, you really are left with rotating and pivoting. It?s easy, it?s fun, and it?s confidence inspiring in difficult terrain. The problem is that I felt like my biggest asset as a skier, the ability to carve, was essentially left at the lift. In chop I love to carve, pressure the tips and tails at times, and use the terrain to help me put the skis on edge. Because you never actually touch the undulations in the snow, this is impossible. As well because you are above it all, you don?t need to either. In reality I was trading in a skiing arsenal that has taken years to develop for a brand new one that requires much less skill (perhaps not when taken to a much higher level than what I achieved on the first day).

Still this is a great quiver ski. It definitely has a place. On e heli skiing trip or in the backcountry, this ski just rules (although I love to ski powder with skis that have sidecut and traditional camber). As a resort ski, it has its limitations, and it also opens up chutes and terrain that I wouldn?t otherwise attempt without it. Did I mention that I hated them on groomers? This clearly will influence my decision as to how often and how long I ski them on a powder day. My guess is that I will ski these on any day where there is 15 inches or more but I will probably switch to my Atuas after lunch unless I will be skiing in the trees the rest of the day. (Ski caddie anyone?).

Lastly, I skied these yesterday with my friend Tim and his son Glen (for part of the day) and we all have the same boot sole length. I was able to ski the Fischer Watea and the Atua (I also own a pair) side by side with the 138?s and they both skied the 138?s. At times we did the same chutes and or runs several different times each of us on a different ski.? I finished the day again appreciating what a fun, and versatile powder ski the Atua is. It remains my choice for resort powder skiing, but I will definitely break out the 138?s on all big days.

I think my ability to use these skis will improve with time. I also think that anyone who likes to skid and smear as their primary/default move, will absolutely love these skis.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Review: DP Skis Lotus 138
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:50:07 pm »
Great review and they sound like a fun but definitely one trick pony skis, Ahh, the persuit of the perfect ski!  Sounds like fun though. Did they surf on the pow or could you get into it?  How tight were the trees? I have found that in powder skiing, a fat ski is just so much more fun, a different kind of skiing all together.  Oh BTW how were they on the groomers?  ;D

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:00:10 pm »
Ron, because these skis pivot turn on a dime you can ski really tight trees and go a lot closer to them without fear. This is one of the huge benefits of the ski. To answer your other question, yes you can bounce with the skis to get them into the snow. You really can do whatever turn shape you like with them and GS Turns are just as easy as powder 8 type turns. When you ride the skis at speed you are much higher on the snow than you would ever be with traditional powder skis. In deep snow they don't feel too much different than traditional skis, just a lot more easy to manuever. It's in the chop that you notice the biggest difference. There is nothing to push against. You are above the undulations. This is a very different experience.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 07:03:22 am »
Sounds like a ski that has to be tried. Very cool. I now understand that wider does not mean less maneuverable. I had a hard time understanding it but I think Michael explained that by telling me to think of powder skiing as 3 dimensional; up and down as opposed to tipping left and right. Although there is tipping in up/down, most of the turning is performed in the weight/unweight and body countering (NOT rotational skiing). The wide or fatties just become ultra precise and easy to turn. I agree that unless you have tried it, its hard to understand. More sidecut=less manueverability in the powder. Less sidecut=easier turning.

Barrettscv

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 07:14:23 pm »
Hi John,

Well, I was hoping we could compare notes, but the Spats never saw snow this year. They have their own FF # however? :P.

One of the things the ski has me considering is a trip to Revelstroke B.C. If they don't have that 6000 vertical foot Gondola ready, I'll just have to give Selkerk a try.

I think these highly specialized skis, be it a serious race carver or a reverse camber powder ski, expand the limits of the ski experience. That alone is worth it!

Cheers,

Michael

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 07:17:02 pm by Barrettscv »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 10:15:56 am »
Well said my friend!  Yes, its time we got over the fat-skis suck thing for good. Look at Plake, next season he's repping Elans Magfire 14!  The skis have a purpose so take advantage of them.  You don't have to change the way you ski (except for the toon's). I just e-mailed Peter about the same thing. Look at the Mojo90 reveiws on the main site. I respectfully dissagree with the "reveiw" these are not the same ski as the 88. That's why Head made a Mojo90 (89) and an Im88. two different animals.

Barrettscv

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 11:45:34 am »
this is fun http://powdermag.com/features/news/reverse-camber/  ,

"THANKS SHANE: First all reverse camber heli load
By Kip Garre

Last week I witnessed a monumental step in the ski industry. My entire group for the day loaded up the helicopter with reverse camber skis. Three pairs of Spatulas and two pairs of K2 Pontoons. I am not sure if this was the first all reverse camber heli load but since the skis are fairly new and I haven't heard of another load I am claiming a first. If you know otherwise please let me know.

Reverse camber skis entered the market about four years ago when Shane Mconkey convinced Volant to produce and sell the Spatula. A ski that allowed skiers to slide like never before. The Spatula was so easy to ski, a novice skier was now skiing like an expert and expert skiers were surfing the slopes more like snowboarders and laying down some smooth lines with a flow that was making skiers look at terrain differently. Most everyone I knew who tried them were instantly convinced of their effectiveness and wanted only to slay powder with Spatulas under their feet. Everyone who owned them did their share of answering questions about how they worked and how they skied on the groomers. Always trying to convince others to believe in how awesome they skied. Here in Alaska I spent days explaining and arguing with people about how well they would work in all conditions and that having them heli skiing would make your heli experience better.

It seems like skiers and snowboarders are now taking notice to reverse cambers andvantage. A few companies like K2, Armada, Goode and PraXis now make them and I am guessing that in the next few years most companies will be making some sort of reverse camber skis. You can imagine my excitement when I was loading the basket, I wouldn't have to explain to anyone in my group that they were going to be left behind because they didn't have the right skis. Thanks Shane!"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 11:54:30 am »
What amount of snow do you need to really make them work well?  Also, couldn't you make a reverse camber with a more modest waiste like 110 or 100? Would that be defeating the purpose?

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 06:52:10 pm »
Ron, I think a reverse camber ski will do well in any soft snow conditions. So with three inches of fresh, they will perform pretty well. The problem is how long does 3 inches of powder stay soft? Not very long. I think these skis are ideal for day when there are big dumps (tahoe style, 12-36 incehs) and the snow is soft (if cut up) all day.

As for a thinner reverse camber ski, I think you also have to understand that the Spats and the Lotus 138 (as well as the Praxis, the Armada ARG, and the Goode Scoop) are also reverse sidecut skis. The reverse camber gives you superior float and keeps the tips and the tails form sinking. The reverse sidecut prevents the ski from railing in a carve. This is especially the case in wind buffed snow that can be very difficult to ski with skis that have significant sidecut. As well, in the chop, sidecut also can cut down your ability to maneuver (although it's what I love about the chop, using sidecut and carving through it). Starighter skis bust crud and chop better.

A ski that will float well and has reverse sidecut by definition is probably going to be at least 125mm at the waist, and obviously the norm for these skis is closer to 140mm. JB.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 07:33:26 am »
Gotcha', good explanation. I would like to give them a few runs, they sound great