Author Topic: HEAD MONSTER IM82 TEST  (Read 636 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
HEAD MONSTER IM82 TEST
« on: December 18, 2006, 10:23:24 am »
Beaver Creek, medium dense snow, 25-30 degrees, partly sunny.

Surface: groomers and 12" of powder/crud

Virgin Skis....I step into the new 82's, 172 length, Mojo bindings, direct mounted.

I take the first few turns easy just moving the ankles to get a feel for the width. I have had a tendency on wide skis like the B5's to click the shovels around a bit on short turns. The virgin green boards nod their head and respond well to the gentle tipping.

I notice how quickly and how easy these boards come up on edge. I next go into to some medium swing medium speed turns. The skis feel very light and nimble. I pick up the pace to high speed medium swing turns and have to stop to make sure I'm not skiing my RX8's. Wow, I can't believe how solid and easy to swing under the body these skis are.

Now...time to open them up. High speed run...cooking...big GS turns. As fast as I want to go, these skis stay so solid,  no vibration, they track straight and were ever I point them, extremely stable. Upper end speed limit...not that I dare find. Mixing up the turns now at high speed, medium, long, short....following the edge of the tree line. Dancing, pure speed, carve, pure pleasure.

Short turns, stay with my on the steeps, these babies can turn. It's truly amazing given their width how quick they come around.? Remember, I was on the IM 77's last year and that was a good ski but less energy.? The 82, put a pilot on with solid technique, I don't think there are any? limitations. Response tail to shovel is smooth, with great even flex, awesome energy but not kicking this 153 pounder in the butt.

Now I'm hungry, find me some crud and bumps. I find some crud with soft bumps, kush, kush, and double kush. Skiing this ski flat with subtle ankle motions, it is very responsive. Working off a single platform, both skis answers with stability and point and go bravado! It hammers the crud and soft powder/bumps with ease.

This is a strong, powerful ski with tremendous edge hold, great energy and just loads of fun. I know when the opportunity arises and I am gifted with knee high snow and above, this skis will have me yahooing all over the mountain.

I believe anyone from advanced intermediate to expert gets the hankering for what I've described above, ride it....you dance with the MONSTER.... you're going to buy it!

Ron, thanks for the great recommendation....t he IM 82 Monster RULES!

Gary

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: HEAD MONSTER IM82 TEST
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 08:10:35 am »
Gary, good review and spot on. You were skiing the 82's like they were old friends within minutes. It is truly a factastic ski. If I didn't enjoy making super tight turns, it could be my one quiver ski. It was that much fun. I think what really sets it apart is its ability to make nice short turns so smoothly without having to muscle it around. Here is another example of where ski and skiing mag couldn't have been farther off.  It's so nimlbe and agile, I don't know why they say it has to muscled around or is demanding. Its not for the meek or the intermediate but for anyone else with good solid skills, don't miss it.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 09:03:27 am »
Thanks Ron....you know I too get confused about the magazine reviews.

When I saw reviews on the IM 77...they said "the thrasing tail of an alligator"!...like what?

The 82 "muscled" or "demanding".....NUTS!

Don't know if it's the money talking or the skiers skills....

Good skis skills produce good results on great skis! The key is be honest with your ski skills and match them up with the appropriate ski.....AND THAT....spellls pleasure!

Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 09:36:25 am »
Well said, I think this leads to another thread but it was so obvious that there were two disctinct kinds of advanced skier on the mountain.

1- high speed, wide ski's underfoot, limited turning ability, skid to slow- any quick movements were awkward and sloppy. Movements were rotary and muscled

2- High speed skilled skier with control and technique. Movements were carved and balanced.

Hoontasan

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 11:44:44 am »
Gary,

I have the same ski in a 172 cm length. Mine our mounted with Look PX 12 Lifter bindings. The lifter raises the binding 6mm or just under 1/4 inch.

I've found them remarkably easy to generate varied turn shapes. It has an smooth/even flex pattern with the tip being a bit softer making it nice in the powder but not too soft to compromise stabality at high speed. I found it to be powerful and dynamic with sufficient pop coming out of turns. Edge hold is impressive for an 82mm ski. All around the 82 is a fantastic ski that Ican see being my "go to" sticks for most days.

Carl

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 02:23:29 pm »
Hey Carl, seems we all share the same experience with this versatile ski. Don't know what you weigh, but I believe even 200lbs plus skiers can have a blast on this ski.

I think I understand what you mean about the riser. Correct me if I'm wrong...there is no lifter that runs continuously beneath the heel and toe piece.? Guessing your Look P12 are direct mounted to the boards. The Mojo has a very small riser as part of the binding itself both under the toe and heel but both are direct mounted to the board.

Right about the shovel...soft enough to handle crud and bumps but knows how to hook up with carving short and flat out high speed GS turns. Kind of a "ski miracle" me thinks!

I can see what you mean as far as it being your "go to" ski. Ron was amazed when he first rode his at his local resort. He couldn't believe the response in groomed and crud.

Now we know too.......this ski in my book could be the All Mountain ski of the year!

Not that it matters....cause we be tearing it up on these bad boys! The good news is that YOU CAN STILL FIND THEM IN THE SKI SHOPS!

Best Carl,
Let's keep sharing the good word on these skis!

Gary

Hoontasan

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 03:40:15 pm »
Gary,

Yes, the Look bindings are direct mounted with a small riser under the toe and heal piece. Nothing running between the two.

Just for reference, I'm 5'9", 172 lbs.

Regards,
Carl

Brendan

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 03:52:05 pm »
Hi,

Great review, thanks.  Got me salivating.  Just want to check - do these come in a railflex and if so would that minimise the performance?  For travelling - Could you use the same bindings on 2 sets of head skis (assuming they both had a raliflex) or would this be a big hassle?
Also at 160 pounds is it worth demoing the shorter version or just stay witht the 172?

What prices are you paying?

It's 90 degrees here and I should be in BC in a week - really looking forward to seeing some snow.

All the best

Brendan

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 07:30:49 pm »
Sounds good Carl....I asked your weight just to see how many weight classes this ski will cover under high performance use....

Me at 153 lbs...you and Ron about the same weight. Will be interesting if we see other feedback on weight and related performance of the 82.

Hey Brendon.....glad to see the review stoked the skiing juices....I know you can get the railflex system on the IM 82 cause Ron has a pair. Does it minimze performance...I don't think so the ROn was tearing it up. I does get you off the ground a bit more..providing a bit more leverage to the edges....good or bad...you call it.
As far as moving bindings....sure, you could move one pair of LD12 bindings to another railflex ski, no problem. It's really very easy to slide them off the track once their set up for your boot size. I'd suggest practicing before you get to the mountain. You could also check to see if Michael could find you a deal on some bindings that will work with that system....there has to be a deal out there.

Hmmm 160lbs.....well, thing is...I'm a fairly strong PMTS skier and am very comfortable on the 172 length. I think this really depends on your ski technique and how strong you are on your skis. If you are an advanced intermediate maybe the 165 is the way to go....if you are working on improving your skills and see that improvement just around the corner....grab the 172. If you are an expert skier, the 172 for sure.

Hey, BC has been getting hammered by snow. Happy for you being out there. You'll have to let us know what gear you skied and what the conditions were like.? 90 dgrees.....where?

Prices....about $700 with bindings here....for me.....worth every penny!

Have a great one Brendan,
Gary

Barrettscv

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 07:39:13 pm »
These guys seem to have the best prices on Tyrolia;

http://levelninesports.com/gear-bindings-c-23_34.html

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 07:22:18 am »
Brendan, size-wise, Gary nailed it. I am 6' 175-8 and I am very comfortable on the 172. I would consider myself a fairly aggressive skier that likes fast tight turns. If you were were more of a straight liner, then the 182 would be just fine. That said, you are somewhat restricted in the sizes, I believe it goes 162, 172, 182. I demoed the 162 and it was waaay too short for me. How tall are you and what do you like to ski and what will you be skiing?  PS- you missed a Look 12p's for $65 yesterday on Steep and Cheap!

Brendan

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 05:34:44 pm »
Hey,

Once again a big thanks for your input.  Why would I ever ask a ski tech in a shop when you guys have more knowledge about skis than the average shop assistant ever seems to have.

Where is it 90 degrees you ask?  mid north coast in Australia but I can't complain, I have a little pocket of rainforest in the backyard and the beach is only 350 yards down the road.  people look at me like I am mad when I tell them I left all of that to sit on a chairlift at minus degrees BUT we know that we are the sane ones.  Where else would you want to be?

I am a strong skier and used to ski the extremes at Crested Butte (5'11 and 160 pounds), love skiing everything - glades, groomers, powder etc. but am new to PMTS - I have been driving my family nuts watching Harald on the DVD and standing in the loungeroom with skis and boots on - "there goes Dad again"  (actually they find it amusing).  I have bought Head IM 72 (170) partly with the idea of polishing technique,  however I was definitely drooling when reading these posts on the IM 82.  I think Ron is right - the 162 is probaly too small for me.

Hope you guys get some good ones this season

Happy trails

Brendan

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 08:27:02 am »
Hey Brendon....thanks for the thoughtful words.  Keep in mind we are planning another trip for Real SKiers next year thinking it would be nice if you could make it.

Yep, front of the TV stalking Harolds moves.....you've got it bad too!

90 degrees....hmmmm... ..any indoor ski arenas near by?

Nice to know our friends from Australia, New Zealand, Japan and in Europe are tuned in to Real SKiers. It's very cool to get insight from around the world.

I think you'll enjoy the performance of the IM72, great turning ski.  The 170 is the perfect length for you. It too is very versatile and is great for all mountain condtions and honing your PMTS skills.
Enjoy my friend.....and keep the passion!

Best and Happy holidays,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 12:30:23 pm »
Hmm, another Harold devotee!  I hear NZ is still getting some snow with colder than usual spring.  Ok, not to get into your head like Gary does to me ( ;D_) but I think you are going to find the 72's a bit flat as far as the thrill factor goes. Go to the 82's and the Sh@t eating grins!  BTW- NZ and Aussie chicks have the hottest accents!  Lov' Em.

Brendan

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 04:13:43 pm »
Hey,

Gary thanks for the invitation, that sounds like a lot of fun.  Thanks Ron - I have my sights set on a demo of the IM82 now that the drool factor is in high gear.  No indoor ski fields here but the real deal looks like it's just around the corner.  I'm already fully packed and the excitement is kicking in - yeeeeha.
last post for a while as I shut down this computer for Christmas.  Have a wonderful time over the holidays.

All the best
Brendan