Author Topic: Some Basic Thoughts on Good Ski boot Fit  (Read 1998 times)

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Some Basic Thoughts on Good Ski boot Fit
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 04:44:29 pm »
The new Atomic Redster 130's came with Sidas liners that are designed to be laced-up. Traditionalist that I am, some say stubborn, I've been putting them on/off in the traditional liner-in-boot method. It's been a fight, ask Gary as he saw the battles on our recent trip. Just got some bootfitting done, and, the fitter told me to use the laced up liners on my feet and then put in / take out. Did some home practice, used silicone as High Angles suggested on the rear of the shell to lubricate the plastic. At the mountain yesterday, it was an improvement...still not fun or fast....but better. I would agree that using the traditional method on these boots was beating up the tongue of the liner.

The issue with my boots is the lower part of the boot has to separate wide enough to permit the foot to slip in, and, my boots are thick and rigid at this point. Difficult to separate with the hands when warm, very difficult at the mountain. Not sure if it's solely a function of a too big or too soft. Race boots, like my Atomic, have smaller volume so that compounds the problem. My big feet do not help. Bought a small hair dryer to help soften up the plastic, just hope I can find an outlet at the mountain.

As the say, "your mileage may vary"....feet are a very individual thing. But, I can't argue with High Angles thinking that what used to be a good fit, may, be merely ok by some of modern boots and bootfitting.

LP,

Finally got around to reading this.

1.  Get a hotgear bag.  Slipping your liner into your shell will feel like a knife slicing through warm butter.

2.  If the floor surface is slick, put a cat track on the shell for friction before trying to insert your liner.  This will save you untold frustration.