Author Topic: Some Basic Thoughts on Good Ski boot Fit  (Read 1918 times)

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
Re: Some Basic Thoughts on Good Ski boot Fit
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 03:23:10 pm »
My question is; Is this expense pretty normal in terms of what I would find more or less a few bucks from any other expert fitting?

Suck it up, don't whine about the $$....it will be worth it?

A few things:

1) It may be possible to put more money into a boot that's too big and make it less bad, but it'll never reach the point of being "good".  On the other hand, financial considerations are 100% legit so, if a good setup is too expensive now, it might be worth the money to make the existing setup less bad while you save for a better setup.  I'd say this is entirely a financial question.  A great setup was eye-opening for me and easily worth twice what I paid for it, to me.  I imagine you'd feel similarly, if you got a setup of the same quality.

2) If you're going to buy new boots, one consideration I'd pay a lot of attention to is whether the boots are what PMTS people call "lateral" or "rotary" boots.  "Lateral" boots have the hinge rivets positioned so, when you get forward, the cuff tracks either straight over the toe or a hair out, which lets you get pressure to the inside edge.  "Rotary" boots have the hinge rivets positioned so, when you get forward, the cuff tracks inside, which tends to make your tails skid out and makes it harder to get pressure over the inside edge.  I'm using the PMTS terms for this because I don't know anybody else who's come up with names for them.  It's not just a concern for PMTS people, though--Josh (bushwacka) posted in another thread about how he modified his Kryptons and got the cuff tracking like a "lateral" boot, even though it's a "rotary" boot out of the box.  If memory serves, many Langes and Salomons are "rotary" boots, so I'd be careful about which ones I was looking at and would want to check out the cuff tracking and such before buying.

3) I think the price range you're looking at is in the ballpark.  Personally, I only buy very-discounted race boots, so I spend less than your number.  My Raptor 130 RD's cost me $400 from the original shop, and then $250 to have my fitter fix them and make them awesome for me.  I just picked up a pair of B2 RD's for $350, and it'll probably cost me $300-ish to get them set up (including alignment, etc).  I'm in the minority of people who wouldn't benefit from a footbed though, so I've saved money there.  My understanding is that it's easy to spend more than I do, especially if you're buying current model year boots at retail prices.  I'm a big fan of the two-year-old boot that's still in the box and taking up space in the back room.  The way I figure it, if I can ski today like Hirscher (or whomever) did on the equipment of 2 years ago, I'd be content with that.  ;D

Good luck!