Author Topic: Some Basic Thoughts on Good Ski boot Fit  (Read 1974 times)

byronm

• 100 Posts
Re: Some Basic Thoughts on Good Ski boot Fit
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 11:49:19 pm »
+100 to what HighAngles said. I find myself reading and re-reading (I went to a small school :D ) to absorb all the great info. and insight provided here. I would suggest that based on the breadth of knowledge and experience here that some "expert fitters" could do worse than adding this info to their resume's.

Quick Update: I contacted a bootfitter I was referred to in SLC, Utah and spoke with him this morning. He certainly impressed my as someone who "knew his stuff", I'm sure a feather in his cap based on "my" vast knowledge base.

I sent him the pictures of my bootfit (a few more than I posted here) and explained what I was feeling.

1) He opined that it could be the wrong boot geometry (he said he could tell me for sure in 5 minutes)

2) If the "shell" of the boot could be utilized he "May" be able to manipulte the set up, free up my ankle and get in the right position using different techniques up to and including a foam liner and the other things bootfitters do with shells and liners.

Obviously, the better option for me in terms of cost (providing the end result is effective) would be to make my boots work but "it is what it is".

3) If having to start new, the boot he would be looking at would be Soma's, Salomon Xmax, perhaps even a Lange but all would be in the upper $600 to $700 range..(Not counting any orthotic work...which can range from $200 to $500 :( )

Looking at traveling quite a distance and ultimately the better parrt of a $1000 dollar bill for boots.

While I absolutely understand the importance of boots and the general jist I get from you all here is that you would rather have "good boots" and ski on unfinished pine fence boards as opposed to the reverse. In my limited experience, I would agree. And, I know the cardinal rule is to NOT concentrate on the $$ factor as part of the fitting, easier for some then others. To be fair, the fitter cant be sure until he looks.

My question is; Is this expense pretty normal in terms of what I would find more or less a few bucks from any other expert fitting?

Suck it up, don't whine about the $$....it will be worth it?

Thx.....

p.s....In line with the suggestions provided earlier, I have decided to schedule some quality on hill instruction prior to going to see the fitter. During this time I can do the on hill tests, develop a litmus for what I can and can't do in the boots per the instructors guidance, solicit his or her input in terms of my posture and performance.....Arm ed with that knowledge I think I would be able to make a more informed decision and feel better about dropping serious dinero if needed.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:33:31 am by byronm »