Author Topic: Review: Kastle FX 84  (Read 6608 times)

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
Re: Review: Kastle FX 84
« on: January 05, 2010, 01:15:17 pm »
Tester: 43 year old Female, 130 lbs 5'6", Advanced skier.
Equipment Tester usually skis: Hart Beat(77w) 162cm, Volkl Kiku (105w) 168cm, Blizzard Mag SL 155cm(64w),
Boots: Dalbello Krypton Kryzma
Skis Primarily on Michigan mole hills but has taken to some teensy weensy trips to some Mountains with many more to come!
Comfort zone of tester: Confident with speed, varied terrain & steeps, improving in Bumps and trees.

Manufacturer: K?stle Skis
Model: FX84
Length: 168
Category & Dimensions AM CARV POW:
All Mountain Midfat
Sidecut:   122-84-110
Radius:   16m (@168cm) 18m (@ 176cm) 20m (@ 184cm)
Construction:   Sandwich construction
Core:   Ash/Poplar

Binding: Marker Griffon
1=Poor 2= Fair 3=Average 4=Very Good 5=Excellent
1 2 3 4 5
Short Turns 3
Medium Turns 4
Long Turns 5
Rebound 5
Stability 5
Forgiveness 4
Grip 5
Steeps 5
Crud 5
Powder 4
Ice 4
Overall Impression 5

Tested Length Felt:
Just Right
Ski Sidecut Felt:
Just Right
Ski Flex Felt:
Surprisingly, just right

Best Described As:
Light weight and powerful

Notes: I?ve been hearing a lot about the new found love for an old friend in the Kastle ski world, and thought I may demo some day when I had the chance, but since there is no one in the Michigan with the brand I figured I?d have to wait to try them out when on a trip.? Surprisingly enough I didn?t plan a road trip around the possibility of demoing these skis. :rolleyes:

First impressions:? This ski is light weight which makes you think it won?t stand up to the aggressive skier, or rugged terrain, ??until you click in and take ?em for a drive.? This lightweight nimble ski has the power to bark like a big dog!

Maiden voyage: My first turns of the season happened a few weeks ago at Stowe, which is when I seized the opportunity to demo these skis.
I had beat myself up pretty good for three days of skiing and was a bit fatigued, adding to the fact that we had some significant apres? ski that left me with a bit of sleep deprivation.
Woke up on Monday morning to see fresh snow, YAY, but wait!? It was several inches of heavy sticky snow that would prove to be a challenge.
The friend I was skiing with generously allowed me to do a warm up run on some blues before taking the second run down Lift Line, fully expecting my lack of sleep and fatigued legs to let me down, but the FX84 didn?t let me down!? ?Granted, the snow was challenging, but the Kastle FX 84 handled it better than I expected and put a? big fat grin on my silly face!

Trip to my Home Mountain??..errrrrrr, Hill: With new boots dialed in and my very own Kastle FX84?s in the quiver, I headed to my home mountain with a whopping 375 ft of vertical and 8 inches of fresh snow,? I headed for the steeps and trees.? The FX 84 made turn initiation a cinch in the trees and set up a platform for dropping into the gorge with confidence.
The Kastle FX84 is in a prime position to be my ?go to? ski!

Trip to the mountains
Heading to Snowmass in three days, will report back!
In the mean time, I'll be over here fondling my skis.

Edit: correct TR
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:49:03 pm by SnowHot »
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo