Author Topic: Wider skis for my wife?  (Read 2368 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Wider skis for my wife?
« on: November 03, 2011, 06:05:12 am »
Point taken, but let's not get overly focused on the word "need" in this discussion.  We all know that it is frequently used rather loosely, and not necessarily meant to be taken in a rigid literal sense.  Gee, and here I thought I was being too verbose, writing reams of text to make myself understood.  It seems I will have to be much more succinct in my choice of words here, lest someone misinterprets my meaning.  Funny thing, that.  Some people can barely string a coherent sentence together, and others get strung up with a single word.

So, for the sake of clarity, let me then reword my original question:  "Would she benefit significantly from a wider ski, or are the trade-offs and drawbacks not worth the extra floatation?"  Hope that works for everyone.

Jim, in response to your points:

1) That is understood.  But my wife does not ski the same terrain as Josh does, nor has the same skiing style, etc..  I thought I was fairly clear on that.  This is not a discussion of what someone else thinks is best for my wife, because that's what's best for themselves.  The request for advice was qualified with plenty of context for where she will ski, technique and style, weight, etc., and feedback would be most helpful if that were kept in mind (we've been through this issue many times on this forum).

2) Agreed -- see my previous post re. other variables. We can discuss those later; I'm first trying to determine some fundamentals, ie. ski width; then we can move on to the finer details.

3) Agreed, it is interesting, and worthy of further discussion, but not sure how relevant wrt. to this chat about float and ski width.

4) True, but she is a good skier, and shouldn't take her too long to get the hang of a pair of new skis, or even a demo pair for that matter.

5) She will do so.  I should have mentioned that.  She will be in Jackson Hole in January, Banff in March, and there are lots of great skis available for demo, which she plans to tap into for at least a day at both places.  BTW, the base lodge at Jackson has Ski Logic for demo -- sweet! Will check if they have the ones you mentioned.

6) Totally agree! The seeming disinterest in the gear is simply shocking  :o  I mean, in this sport, the gear is EVERYTHING....isn't it?  ;D

Cheers,
Svend

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:09:21 am by Svend »