Author Topic: Check out my new slippers - Mavic fury review  (Read 847 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Check out my new slippers - Mavic fury review
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:23:57 am »

well first the obvious , They are yellow REALLY yellow. You can get them in black but why the hell would you do that when you have one of the fastest shoes around.

The fit was alittle narrow in the mid foot for my chubby feet but with some streaching done over the past couple nights they are fine now.

things that help you pedal.

The closure is super easy to use and made out of metal simple put no hot spots one the top of your foot and you could really crank them down with out pinching your foot not that you need to.

The carbon sole is by far the stiffest carbon sole I have ever experienced it literally does feel like your are standing on the a solid block of unutainiunm  everytime you push down, luckly they are anything but lead like with a 330 grams total weight.  the energy lock carbon is something that is not found on any other MTB shoe and what it is a ring of carbon that comes up and locks you heel in place. Basically your heel does not move while riding your bike and when your pulling up your getting a very direct power transfer, this is tres important for SS mtbing.

Finding your pedal has never seem easier, its hard to explain but the channel that the cleat sit in just kinda of funnels your foot right in, and if for some reason you do miss your pedal the outsolde is so grippy that you can actually balance on your pedals with out sliding.

The outsole is a huge game changer and all mavic shoes have it. The grip full lenght outer sole is something that you just wonder why hasnt this been done already?

2011 model pictured

My only gripe is this. They are so well ventilated that I will need to use shoes covers at the slightest hint of cold or wet, but in super hot sticky air your feet will thank you.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Check out my new slippers - Mavic fury review
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:05:06 am »
Bush:
I like the channel around the cleat.  That's is the biggest problem with the Specialized shoes I have.  Are the cleats on the bottom rubber so they grip, or just a hard plastic like so many mtb shoes.
What other shoes did you consider before deciding to "light up the forest with yellow."
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:33:58 pm »
the sole is grippy vibraam rubber. It will stick to wet wood and rocks.

I was looking at the capable pearls as well Northwaves. the mavic's won out mostly due to stiffness , grippy out sole and the color.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:10:10 pm »
Whoa! I had to put on my sunglasses just to look at the picture. Nice shoes.  Tres chic, Monsieur Josh.

Jim -- don't let Lynn see those, otherwise she will want a pair to highlight the yellow racing stripes on her GT frame.

My wife actually has Mavic shoes -- not sure what model, they are a few years old, but are great shoes.

Good info on the soles.  That is my no. 1 gripe about my present shoes, is that the soles are hard plastic and are a hazard for walking on rocks or wet roots.  They are old anyway, so time for the bin, and a new pair soon.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:21:32 pm by Svend »

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 02:37:13 pm »
well I just did Singlespeed USA which was a drinking content with some bike 'racing" mixed in. due to my tired state I experienced that these things walked great :P.  The stiff soles though do make hard efforts out of the saddle seem like rocket boosters.

a picture from  the final downhill.

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:19:42 am »
I finally got my new yellow kicks yesterday. Maybe I was just on a good day, but I felt like I was climbing a gear or two higher in them. I do hope they stretch a bit though. As a guy that lives in 95mm last Dobie 150s for 6 months of the year I guess I can't complain too much though.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 10:41:26 am »
Epic, you and Bush will have no problems warning hunters away this fall with those shoes.
Though, after a mud bath, they may lose their protective effect.

Nice shoes.

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 03:48:34 pm »
well I just did Singlespeed USA which was a drinking content with some bike 'racing" mixed in. due to my tired state I experienced that these things walked great :P

I just read an article about that event in the latest Dirt Rag magazine.  You did that? The insanity! The debauchery! How could anyone stay vertical on two wheels after that?  Hilarious!