Author Topic: Footbeds for teenagers; forefoot pain  (Read 1276 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Footbeds for teenagers; forefoot pain
« on: January 01, 2013, 09:20:24 pm »
I don't think the rigidity of the new footbeds caused your daughter's foot pain.  From what you've said, her pain is in an entirely different category than what I experienced and would expect if the rigidity was the cause.  I think it's mostly a volume thing.  The foot had less room to spread with the new footbed and nowhere to go, so the soft stuff got inflamed.

OK - got it.  Thanks for clarifying that.  I'll ask her if she has pain anywhere else, but she hasn't mentioned it until now.  You know how kids are -- they are mute until you actually ask a direct question. 

Bottom line, the new footbeds seem to be the direct cause of the problem, along with a too-narrow toe box.  Sort both of those out, and we should be good.

BTW, I'm pleased to hear someone here admit to using a Superfeet insole.  I've been reluctant to confess to the same (just a different brand) for fear of being pounced on for not being serious about my gear.  Custom beds seem to be gospel to almost everyone.  But I have what appear to be very average, normal feet, which fit into many boots almost perfectly without much modification needed, and seem well-served by non-custom cut-to-fit insoles. 

Finding a good custom bed for my daughter, if that ends up being needed, may take some calling around.  I have yet to be in a shop that sells any custom ones other than the hard plastic posted type.  I have shied away from these for my personal use, and for my kids, because some logic in the back of my mind must have told me that they were overkill and not really going to make us ski THAT much better.  I have paid way more attention to proper snug boot fit and trying to get that right (although I am still learning the nuances of that), as well as lateral alignment, fore-aft stance, and flex adjustment.  Seems to me that these factors play a much bigger role in skiing performance, at least for recreational needs, than locking the foot in a custom bed.

Some good dialog here -- thanks very much, Dan.  This has been very helpful.