Author Topic: Fischer Ski Rant!  (Read 2198 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Fischer Ski Rant!
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 11:49:37 am »
Gary - I agree.  Head seem to be much more susceptible to scratching and gouging than Fischer or Dynastar.  And Fischer edges seem to hold their sharpness longer, as well.  I have been nothing but impressed with their build quality.

And great news that Jason is loving my former P-9s.  For the right mountain, a ripping-fun ski.  Super light and agile at low speeds, but the faster you go the calmer and quieter they become.  Amazing.  I'm happy that they are in the right hands.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 11:57:21 am »
Forged from VIKING STEEL!

Jason after coming off the RX8's has found the P9's to be much more to his liking. .....Well...it's way more ski me thinks.

But thanks Svend....Jason couldn't be happier. BTW his othe skis are the Rossi S3's...all his bases covered.

Point taken on the Fischer edges...after sking all day, I like to check our skis for burrs...His P9's were almost like they just came off the tuning bench...where my Kastle FX84's seemed a little more ......ahem.....work ed over...could be just me.

But yeah....those Fischer edges just seem to hold up better all around. He has my RX's 8s from 4 years ago and I couldn't believe how good the edges were earlier this season when I checked them for him.

I'll be sending you our Kastle and Head skis to put them into your custom made Viking Forge! ;)   G

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 01:52:47 am »
This would explain the railing behaviour[/quote

Not to untrack dialogue...quick explanation of "railing" please? I ask because I checked my BlizzMag76's last night and there is definate concave sections at tip and tail...4x2" or so at contact areas.

Thx....

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 11:45:03 am »
Byron, if a ski is edge high (bases concave), then the ski will behave as if on rails.  Hard to disengage from turns, grabby and over-aggressive edge grip, hard to drift or side-slip, edge grip "always on"...that kind of thing.  Basically very hard to control and will not want to turn readily.  Bases can get this way if they dry out and are not kept waxed, or if the skis are summer stored in the wrong place like a hot garage, esp. if you didn't put storage wax on before putting them away for the season (you should do this no matter where they are stored; even a cool basement).

byronm

• 100 Posts
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 08:01:18 pm »
Guilty....of all charges.....althoug h they did have wax on.... but the wax had two or three ski days on them... then put up in the hot garage...... :o  I see a base grind in the crystal ball.....another lesson learned the hard way...

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 06:52:05 am »
Byron,

Railing is much more an issue when the railed portion is in the midpoint of a ski (under the boot) and convex area is within a half inch or so of the edges. If your ski has some minor railing near the tips or tails, or, just in the center area of the bases, it's far less problematic. I'd have your local shop, who would do the tune, take a look at it first.

My belief is railing is associated with the cooling phase of construction, and, when rectified, it should not recur. Some skis are known have railing issues and that's how this thread started. Most shops should check, and correct, for this when purchasing locally.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 08:52:34 am »
My belief is railing is associated with the cooling phase of construction, and, when rectified, it should not recur. Some skis are known have railing issues and that's how this thread started. Most shops should check, and correct, for this when purchasing locally.

Mike, in your experience, is this mfg. fault evident at the time of ski purchase, or does it sometimes crop up after a few months of actual use? Say, a half season or so, a few hot wax applications (heat/cool cycles)....that sort of thing?