Author Topic: Head Rock N Roll  (Read 1611 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Re: Head Rock N Roll
« on: December 31, 2012, 07:44:59 am »
Well,

After a long day of tree, powder, soft mogul, and crud skiing-I have some thoughts.

For general skiing, resort-based off-piste-the Head RnR's are exceptional. However, I do have to invoke the Ghost of Bushwacker Past and mention there suitability vs. a fatter/ rockered ski in deep snow in New England Trees....I spent the morning finding untracked lines in many of our 'local's' glades-in some spots the drifted snow was as much as 2 feet deep.  In these areas the RnR's were a little over matched, without enought float to make the quick stream bed and tree trunk avoiding maneuvers necessary to ski these areas confidently and with flow.  If you head into these areas without a bigger modern ski, you really are bringing a knife to the gun fight (but maybe you're bruce lee and that knife will be more than sufficient).

I switched at lunch to the Howitzers to explore these glades more fully, and, yep, they were money in that terrain. I skied with much more confidents, flow, less gross motor avoidance maneuvers.   BUT, once out of those glades and into crud and soft bumps again, I found myself wishing the Howitzers would morph back into the Head Rock n Roll's as those were better everywhere else but deeper powder/crud Glade skiing.

I also found the Heads handled peculiar features much better (stream hopping, water bar and bern launching, etc). 

Both good skis, but JB is dead on about the versatility of the RnR's.  The Graphics are cool by the way, don't let anyone tell you different!