Author Topic: Review: Blizzard Magnum 8.1  (Read 1180 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Review: Blizzard Magnum 8.1
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:48:15 pm »
I took these out today and skied at Northstar (my first time ever at Northstar). . I was hoping for something like the IM 78. I skied the 179 length. It does have that glued to the snow feel that a race skis has, but I can bend a full on race room GS ski as much or more than I could bend this ski. It has an 18 m TR and I couldn?t seem to tighten it very much. It was reasonably quick edge to edge it would do reasonably quick slalom flushes (with wider arcs than a slalom ski). It was actually OK off piste, just a tad too stiff for my taste, but actually pretty skiable (especially in the Dodge boots). I could see a 220lb ex WC racer loving this ski and having it as his everyday, all mountain ski. It is not nearly as stiff in the tips as some of the Nordicas I have skied in the past or the steel tipped AC 50 other big mountain "carving skis" from Volkl. In Montana I would most likley like this ski better (or even in Tahoe wth better conditions). It was 6-8 incjes of skied off snow from Saturday and Sunday on top of a Tahoe melt and freeze cycle that lasted the past several weeks (that means bolierplate). The conditions were not ideal for beiing real agressive and for bending skis in edge lock carves. In general this is a nicely made ski, probablly a ilttle stiff for most. Off piste it handles well, and I was able to ski bumps with it reasonably well, you just could not relax in the bumps because the ski is stiff. In great/ hero conditions, this ski could be pretty fun.

Now for my review of Northstar: Phil, you need to buy a pass at Squaw next year!!

Fun little mountain, but no real terrain of any sort. There is some tree skiing on the back side and some of it has some pitch. Beyond that it is a cruiser dark green, light blue and blue mountain. For a non holiday monday it was way more crowded than midweek days at Squaw and the quality of the average skier is way below what you see at Squaw (which means that sking around them is harder and they are not predictable). We did find some fun stuff to ski, but I would find it very diddicult to head there on a powder day knowing I could be skiing Squaw.

Having said all that, it was fun day!!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Review: Blizzard Magnum 8.1
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:44:50 am »
John,
A dual review of a mountain and a ski with both a found as needing something more! One of these days we need your review of the MX78 or 88. Not sure I'd want your review of my skiing. ;D Actually, I'd love to make some turns to get your thoughts and in exchange, you could demo my MX88's.

I'm scheduled to be at Tahoe starting next Wednesday, but, having second thoughts due to the weather and related snow conditions. Need to discuss with Phil, but, the east may be skiing better next week after this storm moves through. A good aspect about flying Southwest is no fees for skis or rescheduling.

As I've never been to Tahoe and am very much wanting to visit, I don't want the experience spoiled by boilerplate. Any thoughts?

hozel

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:44:25 am »
I agree with John's review of Northstar. I would probably avoid Tahoe until they get at least another good storm or two. Sunday was good at Sugarbowl with 12 inches of mid-density Sierra cement. Monday was OK in cut up crud. You might consider Utah or Colorado for the short term.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:26:03 am »
Yeah, Tahoe is not great right now. The forecast is for more sun, and essentially spring conditions until the High blocking ridge (whch is preventing the pacific storms) dissipates. Most people are saying that by around 2/10 this should happen and then Tahoe should get pounded with snow. Tahoe is great with fresh snow and it is not great (in fact it can be pretty bad) with old snow and warm temps. Here is the weather service that I trust most forTahoe and you can read what they say:

http://www.snowforecast.com/SquawValleyUSA

Personally, I would postpone if it is easy for you to do so. If you can get here when there is fresh snow, you will have the time of your life!!

I look forward to skiing the MX 78 and the MX 88 and to skiing with you and Phil.

BTW the early word on the Head Peak 84 (new for next year ) is that is an even better ski than the IM78. Now I think the IM 78 is the gold standard in that category (yes, I know I have not skied the MX 78) so I am excited thet the Peak 84 may be the 85mm waisted ski I have been searching for.

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:56:14 pm »
LP,

Since Tahoe's looking dicey, think about attending the Sugarbush PMTS gathering instead if your weekend is free.  They're slated to get a 10 to 18 inch refresh on Wednesday and no freeze/thaw cycles.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 02:07:59 pm »
LP
Ditto!
Tahoe sounds like a "no go" >:D

At least consider joining us at Sugarbush if you're not going to Tahoe.
Should be fun.

L.
"Play it Sam"

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 07:22:07 am »
LP,

Since Tahoe's looking dicey, think about attending the Sugarbush PMTS gathering instead if your weekend is free.? They're slated to get a 10 to 18 inch refresh on Wednesday and no freeze/thaw cycles.

Todd and Lynn,
Thanks for thinking of me. Mrs LP owns my services this weekend. The 'bush is a long drive for a weekend and midweek skiing is much less hectic. It would be great to meet the PMTS-deprived eastern skiers. so, have a great time.

And don't forget to do some drills! ;D

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 07:45:13 am »
good morning Mike

Glen Scannell will be joining the group, so I am hoping that there will be some "official" PMTS style feedback, if not "drills.

And yes, for just a weekend it is a long drive. Jim and I are flying since the fares are just a bit more than gas/tolls would be.
And we are staying an extra day monday to stretch it out.

Now, contrary to Ron's belief about drills, my version is to spend the top part of the first couple of runs to do some drills and progressively work the
skill I am focusing on into the rest of the run.
Or do a couple of different "reminder" drills during the first run.

Jim rolled his eyes at me when I said to do a section of a run holding the poles horizontally in front of him while skiing.  (we had done a couple of other exercises on the same run).
He ended being glad of the reminder to keep his hands up in front and relatively parallel. He has a tendency to drop one behind his hip at times. This became something he focused on the rest of the trip. And could feel a difference in his skiing.

Doing some slower movements and focusing on my feet really helped when we were in deeper snow or in the glades.
BTW, Breckinridge has some nice "off trail" trees. Surprising, given its rep for coasting Blue runs.

Hope we can ski again with you soon.

L.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:10:54 am »
Lyn, whatever works for ya'  is what's best. i don't do drills but I am aware of my skiing when doing so. There are times that I will exaggerate some movement or be extra conscious of something that I am not doing right. When skiing certain terrain, drills are only going to get you so far, your ability to read the mountain and survival skiing skills, including how to jump off and land off small features up to 5', how to ski over downed trees, rocks, slide- slipping slots, know how to put on skis in deep, steep powder, understand tree wells are critical and need to be at least "functional" for if nothing else, your own safety. If you are planning on getting serious about trees and sidecountry skiing, I can't emphasize the importance of these skills. 

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:23:27 am »
Lynn, whatever works for ya'? is what's best. i don't do drills but I am aware of my skiing when doing so. There are times that I will exaggerate some movement or be extra conscious of something that I am not doing right. When skiing certain terrain, drills are only going to get you so far, your ability to read the mountain and survival skiing skills, including how to jump off and land off small features up to 5', how to ski over downed trees, rocks, slide- slipping slots, know how to put on skis in deep, steep powder, understand tree wells are critical and need to be at least "functional" for if nothing else, your own safety. If you are planning on getting serious about trees and sidecountry skiing, I can't emphasize the importance of these skills.?

Lynn:? And you need to find someone to ski that terrain with, 'cause it ain't likely that I'm goin there with ya.? ?:o ;D

Now inbounds trees and glades, that's a different matter.? I've come to like those.? ?;)
And skiing the features and rollers in the terrain parks?  that's ok too.   ::)

Ron:? The exaggeration part is what I was doing -- the drill reminded me that I needed to emphasize looking where my hands were because old habits have a way of coming back to visit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:46:32 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 02:05:36 pm »
Lyn, whatever works for ya'? is what's best. i don't do drills but I am aware of my skiing when doing so. There are times that I will exaggerate some movement or be extra conscious of something that I am not doing right. When skiing certain terrain, drills are only going to get you so far, your ability to read the mountain and survival skiing skills, including how to jump off and land off small features up to 5', how to ski over downed trees, rocks, slide- slipping slots, know how to put on skis in deep, steep powder, understand tree wells are critical and need to be at least "functional" for if nothing else, your own safety. If you are planning on getting serious about trees and sidecountry skiing, I can't emphasize the importance of these skills.?

Ron

It's NOT always about what YOU are skiing! ::)
Some of us have to be content with inbound, off piste skiing and groomers!.  :(
Geez, always hawking your latest trip >:D

As you would say, it's all good.  ;D

L.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 07:39:11 am »
Um Lynn, I saw you posting about off-piste skiing, off piste skiing includes trees..  No worries.   Cheers! best of everything to you and much fun and safe skiing to you. 

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 08:29:47 am »
When I skied the 8.1 I liked it very much, in fact it was my test ski when I tested boots last year. Was the ski from Start Haus? If not, what was the tune on the ski?

Regarding N*, I like it for the trees. So far I have been very unimpressed with Squaw, not so much the terrain but the Squaw-titude. Very well we will get A-Meadows passes next year too.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 08:42:41 am »
The tune on the Blizzards was excellent and it was from Start Haus.

As for the Squallywood attitude, I wouldn't pay much attention to it. Lots of good people are skiing Squaw and a few jerks. It's the terrain that really makes the difference and on a powder day it's one of the best places in the world to ski. Alpine is also a great spot, certainly second to Squaw in my opinion. The crowds have been the bigger issue there as they sell season passes and daily lift tickets well below what Squaw charges.  I was shocked when I went to buy my lift ticket at Northstar. $90!!! You can ski 7000 acres at Big Sky and Moonlight basin for $70!! 

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 12:58:45 pm »
Hmm on the ski.

The attitude we received was more from employees than the skiers.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 01:44:17 pm »
Squaw has always been a very poorly run mountain. They have spent the bare minimum for years. The Intrawest devlopment at the base was also very poorly done. Squaw does have new ownership and I think they will start to do some of the basics much better. I have never really noticed the employees other than the lines for lift tickets can be long and the people selling them being slow and unresponsive, but that seems to be the case everywhere.

As for the ski, sure it's a great GS feeling ski. I just don't know why anyone wants a GS ski with 81mm under foot. As I said, I really couldn't tighten the turn very much by bending the ski and I am also willing to admit that the conditions were not ideal for being agressive on groomers (too much bolierplate). If one just rides the sidcut of a ski like this you wil never notice what I am talking about. If you truly try to bend the ski to carve tighter arcs than the stated radius (edge locked carves) then unless you are heavy and a very strong skier, I think this ski will be very hard to bend.

I did say that for a stiff ski, it had reasonably nice manners off piste and it skied bumps way better than I expected. On great snow, I think thhis ski would be even more fun. A lot of one's perception of a ski has much to do with how one skis and how one uses a ski. For me and the way that I ski, the IM 78 is much more versatile, and much more fun to ski because I can carve much tighter arcs with it and get more pop and rebound out of it. I do think thatt the Blizz 8.1 is a nicely made ski and it has a great GS feel to it. It is not a ski that I would buy for myself because if I wavt to have that feeling on groomers , I will take out my ISpeed 180's whch rail on hard snow and bend into tighter arcs than does the Blixx 8.1. Hey, to each his own. That's why there are so many different skis, so everyone can find one that they love.