Author Topic: Hutchinson Fast Air  (Read 278 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Hutchinson Fast Air
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:14:55 am »
Epic:
I stopped yesterday to help a guy that had a flat on his tubed mountain bike tire.
Hooked up the Hutchinson Fast Air (this is the canister with the tube).  He hit the button on the top of the canister and it worked, but quite a bit of foam also leaked out of the joints of the tube.
Spun the tire a little bit and could hear the hissing easing off, but it didn't completely seal (I think the rip in the tube was too big) but felt like giving it a try. Finished up by inflating the tire with the CO2, and told him to ride fast and he might save himself a mile of walking.

My question. What did I do wrong that allowed the foam to leak out of the joints in the tube. Obviously most of the foam was going into the tire. Do I need to modulate the button on the canister more to limit the pressure as the foam flows through the Presta valve? 
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
Re: Hutchinson Fast Air
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:18:46 am »
A lot of times tubes rip when they flat. Who knows what condition his tube was in. Even sealing a relatively small hole could be different because the tube can stretch while the tire will remain rigid. That said, I've had such good luck with my tubeless stuff that I've never needed to use a Fast'Air on my own bike. I just carry them around to weigh myself down a bit.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Hutchinson Fast Air
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:31:03 am »
Thanks.  I wasn't upset that it didn't fix the flat, just picking your brain for info.

We were both skeptical of it working when he said he ripped the tube. And it sounded like a big leak, but it did seal up some and may have sealed more as he started riding - I didn't follow to see.

After thinking about it, I think I needed to limit the pressure and the flow of foam through the Presta valve. I just hit the button on the Fast Air like it was a CO2 inflator.  I think I need to modulate the button (and the pressure) more since the foam can't flow through valve as fast as CO2.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:32:11 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."