Author Topic: Blonde Star --- The Seagull Century  (Read 217 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Blonde Star --- The Seagull Century
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:30:21 am »
This is a bit of an oldie, but it came up at work again today and is still just plain hilarious and one of my all-time favorites.? So I thought I would share with those of you that aren't yet off in South America skiing.!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7780916420567729697#

I am sort of hijacking my own thread.? Originally I just wanted to share the Blonde Star humor, but then I heard about the Seagull Century and wanted to share that with all but didn't want to start two new threads.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:12:37 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
The Seagull Century
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:10:07 am »
Mike (and anyone else looking for an organized bike ride).

The SeaGull Century? http://www.seagullcentury.org/

Our company provides chair massages to employees monthly, and I just heard about this today from her.? She says it is a great ride, it is completely flat except for the bridge that goes over to Chincoteague Island.? They had 8000 riders last year and so have added another Century in addition to the Chincoteague Century and the Metric Century and other shorter rides.? It's not until October, and I'm thinking about seeing if I can ride the Century.? Organized rest and refuel stops every 25 miles, and a SAG support truck if you have a breakdown or just decide that you've had enough.

The Eastern Shore of the Cheasapeake Bay will be lovely in October with the changing leaves and the migratory ducks and geese flying around, and it will be a lot easier than riding in the summertime and a lot flatter than the Finger Lakes!!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:29:57 pm by jim-ratliff »

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Blonde Star --- The Seagull Century
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:59:30 pm »
Jim,
Blond Star sets a new standard!  ::) thanks for sharing.

I did the Seagull about 20 years ago. Nice flat ride and if the wind cooperates it's a very nice ride. It's reputation is for being super crowded, but, back then it was too not bad. I'm considering the Jersey Devil on Sept 18. (http://www.sjwheelmen.org/jersey_devil_century.htm). I did not complete a century last season due to some knee pain issues. I've gone 70 this year as my longest.

On the subject of biking, my body was in rebellion from 10 hard riding weeks. Interval training can really beat me up and no doubt, I was over-training. Took all last week off and it's just sooo much better this week.

Ride on all - ski season's coming! ;D

Mike

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:31:59 pm »

It's sad to be reminded how old I am.  The first time I heard BlondeStar it was just an MP3 file and it was amazing.  Pre Facebook, etc.

Congratulations.  70 is a long ride.  Good for you, and thanks for the Jersey Devil link.  Yes, the statement that they had 8000 riders last year is pretty mind boggling to me.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 07:49:22 am »
The largest organized bike ride is RAGBRAI where about 12,000 cyclist ride across Iowa on the last full week of July each year. http://ragbrai.com/ Did in in '92, maybe, just maybe, would consider doing it again. Average miles per day is about 60.

Ragbrai = (Des Moins) Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa  Much more a social ride to meed the people. Many stops in towns along the way where the locals set up in town squares ( yes, they do exist ) to greet the riders and sell food and drink. Plenty of real drinking too at night. A funny story. In one town who hosted a party at the day's end, an elderly woman told me she had not seen this much fun, excitement and people since the end of WWII.

Last night I got to thinking...do I really want to subject my bod to a 100 mile ride. The last 30 is very tedious. At the end of many training rides, I play "what if" and ask if I could continue through 100 miles. Answer is always the same.... Hell No.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:58:42 am »
The largest organized bike ride is RAGBRAI where about 12,000 cyclist ride across Iowa on the last full week of July each year. http://ragbrai.com/ Did in in '92, maybe, just maybe, would consider doing it again. Average miles per day is about 60.

Ragbrai = (Des Moins) Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa?

I've heard of RAGBRAI and wondered how they got those initials out of a ride across Iowa (but not enough to Google it), so thanks for the enlightenment.
My apologies.? I had been assuming that you were like me, getting into biking for the first time.? Obviously not true, you have some real riding in your background.? RAGBRAI is much more of a commitment to time than I am willing to make.? And at the end of 30 or 40 miles, I remind myself that I'm mostly doing this for the scenery and joy of being out and the cardiovascular health, and not much else.?

At the Farm Ride last year, getting back on the bike for the last 6 miles back to the hotel (on top of the 72 during the day) was a challenge .? Back at the hotel I tried to do a single pushup.? Not only could I not do a pushup, my wrists couldn't even support my weight.? The legs were tired, but I was amazed at how shot my wrists were.? I don't see a real Century in my future.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:32:18 am by jim-ratliff »